Used 2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Celica model:

Buy it...if you can fix it.
By krustuhfar

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This vehicle looks and performs pretty well. But its a huge money pit. Big thumbs down. So much for the reliability for toyota. I bought mine brand new and before i had even hit 100k i had already replaced the clutch twice, tension pulley, water pump, and the sunroof leaks TERRIBLY. and i only drive it about 400 miles a month. I would never buy this car again.

Looks, handles well

reliability and build quality.

OIL ISSUES ON THIS CAR
By kimgtk

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car off a used car dealer. I had it 30 days. NO engine light ever came on, but the oil was dry and the engine is blown because of it. I checked on recalls and even though this seems to be a common problem (on the boards) there are not any recalls. I checked with the seller and they said I bought it as is, which I did. I am stuck with a loan for this car and the engine is blown. I'm very dissapointed and upset. I would never buy this car .....ever!

Look, comfort

recall the oil issue

Ten Years Old...Going Strong
By foodle

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car three months ago for a commuter to and from work. It had 107,000 at time of purchase and now has 110,000. This car is amazing. It runs great, has plenty of power and everything works. Plus I'm getting 32 mpg! How many American made cars are still on the road after 10 years and look and run as good as this one?

I love the 180 ponies I get from the GT-S. Lots of power for passing and freeway driving. Moon-roof a great plus, everything within easy reach, ease of driving. Plus, low maintenance that Toyotas are known for.

The car is difficult to see out of (small rear window) for blind-spot. On the freeway there is substantial road noise. However, if the moon-roof is open it's un-noticeable because of the wind. The car is low to the ground which makes it difficult for an old geezer like me to get in and out of.

2002 Toyota Celica Malfunctions!
By kb85

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

My toyota celica has many probs that seem to be common with celicas of different yrs. My belt needs replacing, my lights always burn out simultaneously (no way they could die at exact same time!), just got into an accident last night and my seatbelt never locked and my airbags never deployed! Now I am suffering from injury from bouncing off my steering wheel that could've and should've been prevented. Wanted ppl to know in case they are considering purchasing a celica or if anyone knows of legal action I should persue. Thank You.

Disappointed in Toyota engine issues
By KM

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I also have a 2001 Toyota celica --- with only 70k mileage - has had regular servicing. Oil changes etc. Now I have an engine noise in the transmission, new transmission is needed $3500.00 with a clutch as a bonus. I am so disappointed in Toyota. I used to love my Toyota until today