Used 2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Celica - Consumer Reviews

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Celica model:

Ten Years Old...Going Strong
By foodle

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car three months ago for a commuter to and from work. It had 107,000 at time of purchase and now has 110,000. This car is amazing. It runs great, has plenty of power and everything works. Plus I'm getting 32 mpg! How many American made cars are still on the road after 10 years and look and run as good as this one?

Favorite Features

I love the 180 ponies I get from the GT-S. Lots of power for passing and freeway driving. Moon-roof a great plus, everything within easy reach, ease of driving. Plus, low maintenance that Toyotas are known for.

Suggested Improvements

The car is difficult to see out of (small rear window) for blind-spot. On the freeway there is substantial road noise. However, if the moon-roof is open it's un-noticeable because of the wind. The car is low to the ground which makes it difficult for an old geezer like me to get in and out of.

Love This Car!
By markusknight

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I got my 2001 Toyota Celica from my uncle with 180,000 miles on it. It now has 2,000 more miles since, and still runs the same as when I bought it, aside from a slight leak that started in one tire. There's a slight delay in the accelerator, the 'check engine' light is always on, and the left door doesn't lock automatically. Despite this, it starts perfectly in -15 F weather and has not had any engine problems since I got it. I love this car and, with a little TLC, it will continue to be reliable for years to come.

Awesome!
By celiboy

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I got this as my first car. Love the styling! Very beautiful car. The styling is great but this car is quite slow. It is not very fast in a straight line at all, but when you get to some corners it really comes alive! This car handles extremely well! For me it makes up in handling for what it lacks in power. Great first car for anyone. Get the manual! Great gas milage. I love this car very much.

Favorite Features

The seats are amazing in this car. Love the weight in the steering. The 2400lb weight.

Suggested Improvements

More power! Better tires! Brakes lack sharpness. Padding on the center armrest.

One of the best cars I have ever owned
By m3matt

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I bought my 2001 Celica GTS back in 2004 or 05, cant remember. I bought it from the Toyota Dealership as a certified used car and had roughly 50K miles on it. Had the car for about 5 years. I always changed the oil at regular intervals as well as other routine maintenance. I used to drive over 100 miles a day to and from work for over 3 years. Also weekly trips for 4 years to visit my girlfriend on the weekends who lived over 100 miles each way. In the summer of 2010 the car was in an accident and totaled. I had over 240K miles on it and it still had the same power as the day i bought it. Only thing I ever had to do was replace the clutch at 185K miles but that happens on any manual.

Favorite Features

Great on gas and pretty peppy for the 1.8L engine.

Suggested Improvements

I just wish they would have kept making them. They really are a good car,

LOVE my Celica!! So sad I have to give her away :(
By pharmstud91

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought from a private seller in 2005 and I could not be any happier with it. It had 27,000 miles then and has 117,000 miles now with absolutely no mechanical issues whatsoever. The only money spent on this car is oil changes, tires, and the fuel gage detector (wasn't expensive). Gets amazing gas mileage but definitely struggles to get up to speed and up hills which is to be expected from a 4-cylinder. Handling is perfect, could turn a U-turn on a dime, and super fun to drive. There is definitely a lack of space if you want to fit more than 2.5 people in there. I am 6' tall though and have had no issues besides ducking down due to it being so close to the ground. Great car!!!

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, amazing gas mileage, cheap maintenance, never any mechanical problems

Suggested Improvements

More space if you're going to include a back seat, better parts on the lift suspension