2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Celica model:
01 Toyota Celica GT-S 1.8L Auto.
By Christina_Pittsburgh on 01/21/10 14:17 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

There isn't enough space to say how much I love this car. Bought used with 43000 miles on it, it still felt brand new. After 7 years and pushing 170000 miles, it still has kick in the horsepower dept. and handling is stiff and reliable. If it weren't for my daughter and the lack of space in the back seat I would definitely by an '05. Why would they discontinue this sporty, affordable, and I think beautiful and originally styled car? After 7 years, I'm still in love with it.

Can't tell a book by its cover
By James Wolf on 10/28/09 18:05 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I fell in love with this model from the first day I saw it. With Toyota's reputation for reliability I bought it but have ended up deeply disappointed. My last vehicle, a Nissan, went 225,000 miles with no repairs. In 4 months the a/c quit, the new front tires had to be replaced & realigned and the oil leaks in the engine cost $650.00 to correct. You cannot see anything out back with the spoiler & small windows. Getting in and out is always a struggle with the steering wheel jammed in its lowest position and the Toyota dealer says he can't fix it. You cannot read the speedometer either with the steering wheel so low. The car has not been in an accident... it is an accident!

Fun Little Commuter Car
By Robert on 07/03/09 06:44 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the car used to commute 40 miles a day. I loved the sporty looks on the exterior and the inside is a little cramped but good for one or two passengers. It is lousy as far as backseat space is concerned but it wasn't built to be a family car. The cockpit is nicely laid out. I had to have the transmission worked on after about 100k miles but I would write that off to normal wear and tear. Overall I'd give it high marks and it is a lot of fun to drive.

love this car
By Pam on 03/21/09 22:58 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I first tried this car brand-new. Hated the headlights back then, so I bought a Honda Civic. Big mistake. Bought this car used a few years ago. I love it. Drives well, perfect for me. Looks awesome. No problems whatsoever with it. I even bought extra warranty, now I know that was a waste of money. Just take care of it, change the oil, change the tires, and it will take care of you. I am soooo sad I will have to sell it, but I just had a baby and getting a car seat in/out is a bear.

Celicas Are So Fun To Drive
By Tiffywiffy0503 on 12/30/08 15:54 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have nothing but great things to say about Celicas. I love mine and haven't had any problems with it! So many people tell me how nice my car is. It is the best looking sporty car that gets such good gas mileage! It's got a lot of horse power for a 4 cylinder. I plan to keep my Celica for years to come!

Great in the beginning
By Kurtis Rich on 06/01/08 19:12 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I bought this car brand new in 2001. I loved it when I first bought it but after a while the car started acting up. One problem after another and there's a long list of problems but some of them are: trunk started rattling, the brake caliper on the rear driver side kept putting too much pressure on the pads and it would wear out more than the others. The DRL sensor also messed up. They also had a recall on the headlights. I'm not an aggressive driver or anything but I've put about 86,000 miles on it and the engine block cracked. I quickly trashed this car after that because I really hated it. So much for Toyota's reliability

Amazingly Reliable!!
By mddrum1 on 04/01/08 18:10 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Bought the car in '04 with 19K and now have 64K. Only had to change a serpentine belt, tires, and oil. The hatchback lets me carry a 5 piece Pearl Export drum kit with ease. What other coupe can manage that? Fun to drive, very responsive and extremely tight turn radius. Great stock sound system!

Reliable, Light-Weight, Easily Tuned
By ChrisDG on 03/18/08 20:30 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Extremely reliable. In 7 years, I've changed the battery once, and at 141,000 kms, the front brakes finally needed service. Back brakes they tell me have half the original material. I wanted a firmer suspension and a bit more hp, so I gave it a light tuning: AEM cold air intake, TRD cat-back system, shocks, lowering springs, and sway bars. The car ride extremely firm, but: a) never bottoms-out; b) it's much safer with a terrific grip (Toyota claims 0.90 with my set up) and lane change capability (+5 mi/h). I've no use for a back seat except to reduce insurance costs and carry my laptop. At 6'1", I can lie flat in the front. I've also carried a 78" x 30" sheet of acrylic in the back.

Great Car
By Dave on 03/10/08 12:01 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our GT new in 2001. It has been extremely reliable, and is a blast to drive! When engaged in heavy highway traffic you can drop the automatic out of overdrive and power thru traffic. Mileage is awesome, around 34 mpg, and the styling turns heads. I don't understand why this car is being discontinued, as we would sure buy another. There is too much fun to be had at a very reasonable price. Lots of storage with the seats folded down. Good car for two people, not four.

Great starter car
By Tracy on 10/07/07 07:52 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first car. Bought it when I was 19. Affordable, easy to drive and sporty looking. Small car could easily fit in small parking spaces. Great for commuting since it is excellent on gas. Great for me and my dog!