2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Celica model:
Buy it...if you can fix it.
By krustuhfar on 02/19/13 23:10 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This vehicle looks and performs pretty well. But its a huge money pit. Big thumbs down. So much for the reliability for toyota. I bought mine brand new and before i had even hit 100k i had already replaced the clutch twice, tension pulley, water pump, and the sunroof leaks TERRIBLY. and i only drive it about 400 miles a month. I would never buy this car again.

OIL ISSUES ON THIS CAR
By kimgtk on 06/11/12 16:22 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car off a used car dealer. I had it 30 days. NO engine light ever came on, but the oil was dry and the engine is blown because of it. I checked on recalls and even though this seems to be a common problem (on the boards) there are not any recalls. I checked with the seller and they said I bought it as is, which I did. I am stuck with a loan for this car and the engine is blown. I'm very dissapointed and upset. I would never buy this car .....ever!

2002 Toyota Celica Malfunctions!
By kb85 on 02/16/11 13:50 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

My toyota celica has many probs that seem to be common with celicas of different yrs. My belt needs replacing, my lights always burn out simultaneously (no way they could die at exact same time!), just got into an accident last night and my seatbelt never locked and my airbags never deployed! Now I am suffering from injury from bouncing off my steering wheel that could've and should've been prevented. Wanted ppl to know in case they are considering purchasing a celica or if anyone knows of legal action I should persue. Thank You.

love this car
By jamie on 02/10/10 13:57 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I love this, car i think that it ts one of the best cars that Toyota has built. It is small so you can fit almost anywhere on the rode, and it is a nice looking affordable car. I think that Toyota idi a great job in building this car.

Can't tell a book by its cover
By James Wolf on 10/28/09 18:05 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I fell in love with this model from the first day I saw it. With Toyota's reputation for reliability I bought it but have ended up deeply disappointed. My last vehicle, a Nissan, went 225,000 miles with no repairs. In 4 months the a/c quit, the new front tires had to be replaced & realigned and the oil leaks in the engine cost $650.00 to correct. You cannot see anything out back with the spoiler & small windows. Getting in and out is always a struggle with the steering wheel jammed in its lowest position and the Toyota dealer says he can't fix it. You cannot read the speedometer either with the steering wheel so low. The car has not been in an accident... it is an accident!

Fun Little Commuter Car
By Robert on 07/03/09 06:44 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the car used to commute 40 miles a day. I loved the sporty looks on the exterior and the inside is a little cramped but good for one or two passengers. It is lousy as far as backseat space is concerned but it wasn't built to be a family car. The cockpit is nicely laid out. I had to have the transmission worked on after about 100k miles but I would write that off to normal wear and tear. Overall I'd give it high marks and it is a lot of fun to drive.

love this car
By Pam on 03/21/09 22:58 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I first tried this car brand-new. Hated the headlights back then, so I bought a Honda Civic. Big mistake. Bought this car used a few years ago. I love it. Drives well, perfect for me. Looks awesome. No problems whatsoever with it. I even bought extra warranty, now I know that was a waste of money. Just take care of it, change the oil, change the tires, and it will take care of you. I am soooo sad I will have to sell it, but I just had a baby and getting a car seat in/out is a bear.

Celicas Are So Fun To Drive
By Tiffywiffy0503 on 12/30/08 15:54 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have nothing but great things to say about Celicas. I love mine and haven't had any problems with it! So many people tell me how nice my car is. It is the best looking sporty car that gets such good gas mileage! It's got a lot of horse power for a 4 cylinder. I plan to keep my Celica for years to come!

Reliable, Light-Weight, Easily Tuned
By ChrisDG on 03/18/08 20:30 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Extremely reliable. In 7 years, I've changed the battery once, and at 141,000 kms, the front brakes finally needed service. Back brakes they tell me have half the original material. I wanted a firmer suspension and a bit more hp, so I gave it a light tuning: AEM cold air intake, TRD cat-back system, shocks, lowering springs, and sway bars. The car ride extremely firm, but: a) never bottoms-out; b) it's much safer with a terrific grip (Toyota claims 0.90 with my set up) and lane change capability (+5 mi/h). I've no use for a back seat except to reduce insurance costs and carry my laptop. At 6'1", I can lie flat in the front. I've also carried a 78" x 30" sheet of acrylic in the back.

Great Car
By Dave on 03/10/08 12:01 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our GT new in 2001. It has been extremely reliable, and is a blast to drive! When engaged in heavy highway traffic you can drop the automatic out of overdrive and power thru traffic. Mileage is awesome, around 34 mpg, and the styling turns heads. I don't understand why this car is being discontinued, as we would sure buy another. There is too much fun to be had at a very reasonable price. Lots of storage with the seats folded down. Good car for two people, not four.

1 2 3 4 5 next »