2001 Toyota Celica - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Celica model:
One of the best cars I have ever owned
By m3matt on 03/28/14 17:07 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Celica GT-S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I bought my 2001 Celica GTS back in 2004 or 05, cant remember. I bought it from the Toyota Dealership as a certified used car and had roughly 50K miles on it. Had the car for about 5 years. I always changed the oil at regular intervals as well as other routine maintenance. I used to drive over 100 miles a day to and from work for over 3 years. Also weekly trips for 4 years to visit my girlfriend on the weekends who lived over 100 miles each way. In the summer of 2010 the car was in an accident and totaled. I had over 240K miles on it and it still had the same power as the day i bought it. Only thing I ever had to do was replace the clutch at 185K miles but that happens on any manual.

01 Toyota Celica GT-S 1.8L Auto.
By Christina_Pittsburgh on 01/21/10 14:17 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Celica GT-S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

There isn't enough space to say how much I love this car. Bought used with 43000 miles on it, it still felt brand new. After 7 years and pushing 170000 miles, it still has kick in the horsepower dept. and handling is stiff and reliable. If it weren't for my daughter and the lack of space in the back seat I would definitely by an '05. Why would they discontinue this sporty, affordable, and I think beautiful and originally styled car? After 7 years, I'm still in love with it.

Great in the beginning
By Kurtis Rich on 06/01/08 19:12 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Celica GT-S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I bought this car brand new in 2001. I loved it when I first bought it but after a while the car started acting up. One problem after another and there's a long list of problems but some of them are: trunk started rattling, the brake caliper on the rear driver side kept putting too much pressure on the pads and it would wear out more than the others. The DRL sensor also messed up. They also had a recall on the headlights. I'm not an aggressive driver or anything but I've put about 86,000 miles on it and the engine block cracked. I quickly trashed this car after that because I really hated it. So much for Toyota's reliability

Amazingly Reliable!!
By mddrum1 on 04/01/08 18:10 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Celica GT-S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Bought the car in '04 with 19K and now have 64K. Only had to change a serpentine belt, tires, and oil. The hatchback lets me carry a 5 piece Pearl Export drum kit with ease. What other coupe can manage that? Fun to drive, very responsive and extremely tight turn radius. Great stock sound system!

Great and very reliable car!!
By Lulu on 09/05/07 00:45 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Celica GT-S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I bought this car new in 2001. I love the 6-speed manual transmission. It's now six years old and I never have any problem with this car nor any major repairs. I am however, diligent about routine maintenance and oil changes, and making sure my car stay fine tuned just like new. Prior to this car, I owned a 1987 white Celica GT-S brought new that served me for for 14 years with 112,000 miles under harsh Midwest weather condition. I love the reliability, performance, affordability and quality of Celica and Toyota in general. It is very sporty in looks and excellent handling. The only thing I hate is the cheap looking dashboard.

2001 Toyota Celica GT-S
By matt on 06/17/07 12:33 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Celica GT-S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Since I have had this car it has been nothing but problems. It has been in the shop for about half the time that I owned it but with the time that it has been out of the shop it has been great. This car has out performed all the cars that I have had in the past with great gas economy.

Generally a nice car
By driver on 12/02/06 08:09 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Celica GT-S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

All around this is a fun car to own. Sometimes it's hard to find the right gear when shifting and there is not enough inside lighting on the control panels on the dashboard. There is no lighting in the trunk and it is impossible to find things at night. This is definitely a safety hazard (personally). At night with a flat I had a frightening experience .

4th celica
By jeff on 12/12/05 12:20 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Celica GT-S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

This is my 4th Celica. The quickest and best cornering. 1st was a 1977, then a 1985 GTS, and then a 1992 AWD Turbo. I have had this one 2 months and enjoy the 6 sp, the cornering, braking, styling, quickness, and fuel economy (~30mpg). Visibility is poor (blind spots), tight entrance in/out of car. Reliability questionable so far, although all covered by Toyota platimum certified program: cigarette lighter power unit, front speaker, fan belt tensioner, idle startup vacuum - have all needed repair. But the car is a blast to drive and with 6 gears there is always a sweet spot. Have not found the need to rev over 5000rpm -plenty of power below and the engine gets quite noisy.

Great car - Great GT-S
By Pete Q on 06/04/05 14:01 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Celica GT-S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I bought this car in August 2003 with 11k on it. Its almost two years later and it has 27k. No major problems, every once in a while when its real damp out I'll have a belt chirp until the vehicle warms up. Gas mileage is always in the low to mid 30's, does require premium gas. Car handles great, accelerates nicely especially over 5800 RPM when she really gets going. So far, haven't received any tickets, thats because I've been lucky. This car is recommended for anyone who would to really enjoy to drive.

Honestly
By MAtt on 03/11/05 16:34 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Celica GT-S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I owned my car for a little bit less than a year. I had a celica gt-s. This car is very rev happy, and at high rpm fun to drive, but acceleration is terrible. I have never owned a car this small that accelerated so poorly. The style is great, many compliments on the car, and the inside of the car reminds me of a cockpit. however I hydroplaned and flipped my celica. No airbags deployed, but I walked away unhurt. So from my injury aspect the car must be fairly safe, but it may worry you that the airbags are almost impossible to to deploy? If you are wanting a car that you are planning on racing.. this isn't the car for you, but if you just want a fun sleek car, you have found what your want