Used 2001 Toyota Celica GT-S Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Celica - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Celica model:

One of the best cars I have ever owned
By m3matt

2001 Toyota Celica GT-S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I bought my 2001 Celica GTS back in 2004 or 05, cant remember. I bought it from the Toyota Dealership as a certified used car and had roughly 50K miles on it. Had the car for about 5 years. I always changed the oil at regular intervals as well as other routine maintenance. I used to drive over 100 miles a day to and from work for over 3 years. Also weekly trips for 4 years to visit my girlfriend on the weekends who lived over 100 miles each way. In the summer of 2010 the car was in an accident and totaled. I had over 240K miles on it and it still had the same power as the day i bought it. Only thing I ever had to do was replace the clutch at 185K miles but that happens on any manual.

Favorite Features

Great on gas and pretty peppy for the 1.8L engine.

Suggested Improvements

I just wish they would have kept making them. They really are a good car,

01 Toyota Celica GT-S 1.8L Auto.
By Christina_Pittsburgh

2001 Toyota Celica GT-S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

There isn't enough space to say how much I love this car. Bought used with 43000 miles on it, it still felt brand new. After 7 years and pushing 170000 miles, it still has kick in the horsepower dept. and handling is stiff and reliable. If it weren't for my daughter and the lack of space in the back seat I would definitely by an '05. Why would they discontinue this sporty, affordable, and I think beautiful and originally styled car? After 7 years, I'm still in love with it.

Favorite Features

More reliable than most cars out there. Fun to drive, great sound system, lasting exterior style. The VVTL-I engine gives it that extra kick at around 6000 RPM and red lines just before 8000. Auto trans with the sport shift gives you the best of both worlds. Holds its value like a Toyota should!

Suggested Improvements

Low end torque is lacking considering how much horsepower it puts out at high RPM. The contrast can leave you frustrated at times. However, that problem is fixable. Small back seat, but not entirely useless. Paint chipping on front bumper due to highway driving.

Great in the beginning
By Kurtis Rich

2001 Toyota Celica GT-S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I bought this car brand new in 2001. I loved it when I first bought it but after a while the car started acting up. One problem after another and there's a long list of problems but some of them are: trunk started rattling, the brake caliper on the rear driver side kept putting too much pressure on the pads and it would wear out more than the others. The DRL sensor also messed up. They also had a recall on the headlights. I'm not an aggressive driver or anything but I've put about 86,000 miles on it and the engine block cracked. I quickly trashed this car after that because I really hated it. So much for Toyota's reliability

Favorite Features

Leather seats, tight suspension.

Suggested Improvements

Lots of things. Take out the daytime running lights, more space in the engine (it's too crammed & hard to replace bulbs). Good thing they stopped making it.

Amazingly Reliable!!
By mddrum1

2001 Toyota Celica GT-S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Bought the car in '04 with 19K and now have 64K. Only had to change a serpentine belt, tires, and oil. The hatchback lets me carry a 5 piece Pearl Export drum kit with ease. What other coupe can manage that? Fun to drive, very responsive and extremely tight turn radius. Great stock sound system!

Favorite Features

Hatchback, 6th gear, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Brighter interior light, more comfortable seats.

Great and very reliable car!!
By Lulu

2001 Toyota Celica GT-S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I bought this car new in 2001. I love the 6-speed manual transmission. It's now six years old and I never have any problem with this car nor any major repairs. I am however, diligent about routine maintenance and oil changes, and making sure my car stay fine tuned just like new. Prior to this car, I owned a 1987 white Celica GT-S brought new that served me for for 14 years with 112,000 miles under harsh Midwest weather condition. I love the reliability, performance, affordability and quality of Celica and Toyota in general. It is very sporty in looks and excellent handling. The only thing I hate is the cheap looking dashboard.

Favorite Features

It hugs the road at turns and at high speed. It picks up very well after second gear. Great gas mileage. My husband loved driving it - he said it handles as good as his old Porsche.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the first gear ratio. It's very low which is a pain during heavy traffic. Bring it back with better lumbar support, quality dashboard (not the cheap plastic looking one), bluetooth included, leather interior, and better dashboard light, quality interiors-no cheap looking stuff.