2000 Toyota Celica 1.8L 4-cyl. 6-speed Manual Consumer Review - Economical Sports Car!

2000 Toyota Celica Hatchback - Consumer Review

2000 Toyota Celica GT-S 2dr Hatchback

Economical Sports Car!
By GUY_HANDY on

2000 Toyota Celica GT-S 2dr Hatchback

I have owned this car since new, body #251. This has been an exceptional car with the only mechanical problem being a belt tensioner that squeals a bit on cold wet days (Toyota has a Service Bulletin, and I should have had this replaced under warranty). This car feels so tightly put together, I honestly think I'll have it for another decade. Its economical on gas and insurance but delivers real sports car fun. Handling and braking are exceptional (corvette territory). Acceleration could be better but 0-60 in the low 7 sec range is just fine. Sixth gear on a long highway trip is a relaxing idle at 80mph. Highly stable even at triple digit speeds (you'll never hit top end... 155mph)

Favorite Features

Six-speed manual, supportive seats, great stereo, supererior fit & finish in and out! Being able to 'play' with cars of 3 times the price. Cornering is in super-car territory, braking is unreal. This car inspires confidence behind the wheel. I feel very safe knowing I can outmaneuver any trouble.

Suggested Improvements

Handling is superb, and the engine pulls hard, but only at very high rpms. The engine has split personality, behaving like the standard economy 1.8 liter until you hit 6250rpms, and the big cam engages... then hang on! The looks inspire every boy-racer to challenge me at every stop lite... tedious.