Used 2000 Toyota Celica Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Toyota Celica - Consumer Reviews

2000 Toyota Celica Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Celica model:

Super Little Pocket Rocket
By CelicDriver

2000 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car used with 82K miles on it. It drives like new, and never ceases to amaze me with its grip on the road. It is practically as if it were moving on rails, point it where you like, and it hugs the road while making the turn. Add that to Toyota reliability, and the combo is hard to beat. The automatic transmission is adequate for my practical needs, but for spirited driving, I would have preferred having a manual. The car has plenty of get up and go, but I somehow miss the vrooom of the lower gears that I could have got out of the 140HP engine (which is pretty dang good when you combine it with the light and small car that it is) with a stick.

Favorite Features

Timeless exterior, road-hugging, bucket seats, superb seat shape and finish

Suggested Improvements

Headlights lamps are hard to get at, panel near the seat belts get scratched by the belt buckles, people turn to look at you more often than you would strictly like.

celica review
By Julz

2000 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

love the car, but when you have something break or need maintenance it is really expensive. The air conditioning pump just suddenly failed, so the car would not start... $1,800 ouchhhhhhhhh (this is however,after 4.5 years of owning the car). Last year the serpentine belt and tensioner needed to be replaced, this was $576. I cannot bring it to anywhere but the toyota dealership for an oil change and maintenance because the last time I did the splash guard that goes over the bottom of the car was not put back on properly and I ended up dragging it down a major expressway. Previous oil changes always took 4 guys to do figure it out!!! Maintenance is at $300-$450 every $15,000 miles

Favorite Features

looks-stylish, handling, sunroof

Suggested Improvements

this car has major blind spots please please fix this, transmission sticks when it is cold out

GREAT Car!
By jen

2000 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

I can't really say anything bad about this car. It looks Great, handles Great, is wonderful on gas. I have had this car for almost 5 years and I still love it!

Favorite Features

Looks, gas efficiency

Economical Sports Car!
By GUY_HANDY

2000 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback

I have owned this car since new, body #251. This has been an exceptional car with the only mechanical problem being a belt tensioner that squeals a bit on cold wet days (Toyota has a Service Bulletin, and I should have had this replaced under warranty). This car feels so tightly put together, I honestly think I'll have it for another decade. Its economical on gas and insurance but delivers real sports car fun. Handling and braking are exceptional (corvette territory). Acceleration could be better but 0-60 in the low 7 sec range is just fine. Sixth gear on a long highway trip is a relaxing idle at 80mph. Highly stable even at triple digit speeds (you'll never hit top end... 155mph)

Favorite Features

Six-speed manual, supportive seats, great stereo, supererior fit & finish in and out! Being able to 'play' with cars of 3 times the price. Cornering is in super-car territory, braking is unreal. This car inspires confidence behind the wheel. I feel very safe knowing I can outmaneuver any trouble.

Suggested Improvements

Handling is superb, and the engine pulls hard, but only at very high rpms. The engine has split personality, behaving like the standard economy 1.8 liter until you hit 6250rpms, and the big cam engages... then hang on! The looks inspire every boy-racer to challenge me at every stop lite... tedious.

reliable quick hot lookin
By stevefox42

2000 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback

excellent car. best so far out of 4 or 5 cars. real quick responsive engine and handling. 8300RPM redline, huge power boost at 6K. good on gas. almost exotic looking from certain views

Favorite Features

6 spd, 180hp, handles like go kart

Suggested Improvements

smoother tranny, paint chips on hood too easily