Used 2000 Toyota Celica Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Toyota Celica - Consumer Reviews

2000 Toyota Celica

View reviews for a specific Celica model:

Great Car
By Craig

2000 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback

Bought mine with 116,000 miles on it. It now has 169,000. Replaced tires, clutch, changed coolant, had it tuned up and had all 4 struts replaced (not out of necessity, just because I wanted to). It's been running perfect ever since. I get (30 mpg) even when I drive it hard and have fun. Check engine light came on about a year ago, I replaced the Cat. Converter, light still stays on, but the car runs fine. I keep waiting for it to give me a sign it's ready to be traded, but I believe I'll be waiting a while for this to happen.

Favorite Features

Engine, gas mileage, looks, styling, reliability, stock sound system. Shifting through the gears is a pleasure.

Suggested Improvements

Check Engine Light stays on... even after problem has been fixed.

Not too bad...
By Ghost

2000 Toyota Celica GT-S 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car used with TONZ on miles. 160,000. They said it had been rebuilt. NOPE. Car ran great with miles, even put up with me building it, turbocharging it, and street racing, all the way up to 160mph. These cars motors are great, they make a little clatter cause of the VVTI-L, but otherwise a great handling vehicle. Try taking a corner at 30mph, drop a low gear and floor it out of the corner. Whew.. the car will make you smile. AMAZING performance with turbo. Enough said. Great little car, not quite fast enough acceleration to be a race car, but it did okay with builds. The car has 170,000 miles on it today, and still stands up and shouts with the best. I give it a 8 out of 10.

Favorite Features

Scary good handling when screaming down canyons, and traffic swimming. Great sound with Magnaflow muffler, and fun response in the snow.

Suggested Improvements

MORE TORQUE AND HORSEPOWER. You make the car seem fast with its looks, and it barely beats Honda Civic Type-R's... Embarrassing Toyota.. Come on... You can do better.

Fresh Whip
By NDubK

2000 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback

I've had my Red 2000 Toyota Celica GT for 2 years and have had only few repairs done to it. (Tire router, Tie rod, O2 sensor) and it runs amazingly. The Celica does not have the strongest engine, seeing it's only a 1.8L engine with an inline 4, but it does have a surprisingly fast acceleration due to it's light-weight design. My Celica has been turning heads everywhere I go, and that's half the fun of driving isn't it? She hugs turns with amazing grip. I can go 45mph on a highway ramp without any body roll! I've kept her in amazing condition, and babied her for as long as I've had her. I highly recommend buying a Celica if your looking for an inexpensive sports car.

Favorite Features

First, the racing bucket seats. I have a red Celica, so the red stitching on the seats goes perfectly with the car. The stock exhaust is better than most cars too, even though I opted to get a nice afterstock exhaust. The stock rims are nice, no hubcabs, just alloys. The lightweight design is a plus

Suggested Improvements

The interior design (dash, backseats) is a tad bit tacky. More HP would be nice too. And the Celica is hard to modify engine-wise. It's so crammed in the engine that I have no where to put a high air intake.

Great Car
By Z16

2000 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback

Bought it for the wife 4 years ago. This car just keeps on going. Runs amazingly well in snow with Goodyear Triple treads. I am going to move up a couple of years for her next car. Why did they ever stop making these cars?

Favorite Features

Looks, dependability

Suggested Improvements

None they would do.

Long time owner, still a fan
By ME1

2000 Toyota Celica GT-S 2dr Hatchback

I have owned this car for almost a decade now. I've had it stolen, the rims were stolen while I was in Basic Training, and crashed it at least 5 times (once for over 10,000 dollars worth of damage, lol) I still love this car. I finally bought it three years ago, and am now finally finishing a lot of the projects I thought, my meager budget could handle (stereo, performance parts, etc.). It was rough on clutches, 2 in the last 100,000 miles, or maybe I was rough on clutches. Great brakes, only changed twice. Tires normally go out about every two years, but you can't have everything. (I blame the stopping power.) I'm having trouble finding what to replace.

Favorite Features

Reliability, fuel economy, longevity, this car has been dead on reliable for 8 years!!! Now I'm starting to be amazed how easy it is to modify, a dash that comes apart with a little tugging and 4 screws, no way. Bumpers that are clipped on, too easy.

Suggested Improvements

The stereo, and cruise control. Man, the engine seems like it will run forever, but that stereo broke in 2004. Cruise control isn't very smooth, but works. I wish my first car was this reliable, maybe they should demand Toyota double check all other cars before they hit the street.