2000 Toyota Celica Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Celica model:
Best Car I ever bought
By melgoodman77 on 04/24/11 09:14 AM (PDT)

2000 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

I am sorry they don't make these cars anymore. I just totaled mine after 202,000 miles. This car never had any major issues except the sunroof started leaking. Very reliable. I hate my new car and wish I could buy a new celica.

Toyota reliabilty, where is it?
By nomoretoyotas on 11/30/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

Ever since I bought this car it has been nothing but trouble catalytic converter died 3 days after I got it dealership claimed no knowledge about issue, had to replace o2 sensors 3 times in 1 month after that and it had a bad coil which led to another expensive repair it eats spark plugs and has to have premium ones for some reason parts for gt are more expensive than gts and now the computer is having issues I am selling asap

Great car, fun to drive
By Dolores on 11/13/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car used with 140K miles and put another 60K on it in 2 years. The car is extremely reliable and has had no mechanical issues. Sadly, a man in a Ford F150 broad sided us at 70 mph and totaled my nice little red car. He had to be towed and we loaded up our loose and knocked off parts in the hatch and kept driving. This car is so much fun to drive on twisty roads because its handling allows the car to scream through tight curves. Another bonus is its consistent 32 mpg. It has been as high as 36 mpg (ideal conditions @ 60 mph). It's been a great car and I hate to see it go.

Great car, remember it's over a decade old
By kms1990 on 10/17/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

Great looking car even at 100k+ miles engine is strong for 1.8L 140 hp i4 the interior looks modern and is well designed and built look out for factory exhaust though catalytic converters are a big issue with these cars its all over Internet forums and with that comes O2 sensors as well at $200+ a sensor make sure your intake stays clean or it will start all these problems and it gets nasty easy causing many preventable headaches it also needs premium plugs even the gt not just gts or it will burn through them fast over all though great car not many complaints after I fixed the exhaust issues and cleaned intake no major issues when cat dies it can leave you stuck just use caution when buying

One helluva car
By bangin_celica on 08/16/10 22:33 PM (PDT)

2000 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

i bought this car needing a lot of work 10 years and 166k on her when i got her needed struts a cat. tires brakes and belts alternator and battery replaced for preventative as well but toyotas are tanks so doing all this work in my opinion made economical sense i got a good deal on it (2k less than others around here) and spent 1.7k on what it needed (battery and alternator not needed just preventative) so i got a good deal now that its fixed it's a beast i put flowmaster exhaust when cat. was put on it sounds great but i don't know who neglected their maintenance on this car i wanna kick there behind (for the kids reading) bc its a great car and i'm babying her back 2 life lucas inoil gas tranny and kn filter

I wish I could Buy one new.
By Specter on 07/14/10 22:26 PM (PDT)

2000 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

I bought my dark blue 2000 Toyota celica brand new in 2000. I was lucky to find a promotional car with no sunroof. This is the only way my 6foot 5 inch frame would fit. I fit perfectly. Plenty of leg, head and shoulder room. One of the few modern Japanese small cars I can fit in. This car was completely trouble free for the first 80,000 miles. I just changed and flushed the fluids and replaced the stock tires every 50,000 miles. Replaced the breaks and spark plugs every 100,000 miles. At 200,000 miles I replaced the struts and the clutch. The only problem I have had has been a check engine light that came on at 80k. That light would come and go over the next 100k then never come on again.

Best car ever
By lifelover on 05/25/10 12:02 PM (PDT)

2000 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car last year to have a little extra fun driving a stick. It doesn't disappoint. It's a solid little poor man sports car with great gas mileage, decent pick up, and great handling. It's the best car I have ever owned! I bought it with 89k and the only thing wrong so far is the passenger side window motor isn't working. I highly recommend this car for a medium to small sized person. I get stares all the time.

Awesome looks and reliability!
By CeliSamurai on 05/20/10 15:40 PM (PDT)

2000 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car with 108,000 and now has 140,000. And let me tell you, nothing needed to be replaced! I just chose to replace the brakes and spark plugs right when I bought it. I love this car! Looks awesome, gets awesome gas mileage (35 MPG highway) They could give it a little more horses but its quick regardless weighing just over a ton. Also great winter car, just throw a sand bag in the trunk and your good to go.

I love my Celica
By denyse on 01/24/10 12:23 PM (PST)

2000 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

I've had my Celica for 4 1/2 years and this is by far the best of the 5 cars I've owned. It's really comfortable, even on long trips, holds TONS of stuff in the trunk, is sporty, good looking and reliable. I'm at about 111,000 miles, and although I've had to put some money into shocks, belts, etc. lately, it's nothing that I didn't have to expect to do for a car of this age. I've had 2 mechanics tell me that I should easily get to 250k miles if not more without major problems, and that in their opinion, this is one of the most reliable cars you can own. The ONLY car I would ever trade this in for is a newer Celica...I'm planning on driving this baby til it turns to dust.

Amazing Car
By Renee on 01/02/10 20:36 PM (PST)

2000 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

When i found my celica, it wasn't even for sale officially. They were going to sell it to an auction because it was just a trade-in, with about 125,000 miles on it. I fell in love with it instantly and bought it anyway. It was the best, and most dependable car i have ever owned. The only thing i had to get done was oil changes, and was amazing on gas. i recently got in an accident, someone T-boned my drivers side. her front end was demolished, and i didn't even get a bruise. by this time there was about 155,00 miles on it..and still running absolutely perfect. I'm looking around for another celica right now, and there's no possibility that i will be purchasing anything other!