1999 Toyota Celica Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

GT 2.2L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (10 reviews )
Tough and beautiful
By jt on 12/15/08 01:14 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

Purchased this beauty silver Celica GT brand new in June 1999. Came with one defect (cold hard start). The dealer right away on 5-6 separate occasions kept saying they can't find anything wrong. I don't think they even bother to check, car seemed tobe just dumped there. Finally got it repaired (idle air control valve) more than 2 years ago by a local shop. Thereafter, the car has never given me any problems except a brand new water tank. This is a tough safe durable car, although it doesn't run that fast. Comfort is OK, except for the cup holder. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Wonderful Car!!
By cowgirlz07 on 08/17/07 13:02 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

I have always wanted a Celica. When I finally got one, I was so excited. Unfortunately, I only had it 3 weeks before it was totaled. I thought it was a great car. The car had great safety, which is why I'm still alive. I was t-boned in my driver's door and got buried in the woods. My car was demolished, but I escaped with only stitches and a concussion. Great car performance-wise and safety-wise!! Would recommend to anybody. I had the 5 spd and for me it had great pick-up and handled great.

Excellent Sporty Car!!
By Denise on 01/03/06 22:57 PM (PST)

1999 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

The Toyota Celica is a fantastic investment and such a sporty fun car! In the past four years of owning it, the car has only had one minor breakdown when the water pump broke. (Probably my fault for running the car's gas on empty time and time again). This year of Celica is priceless to have because it was the last of it's body style. I love this car.

Black Beauty
By Laura79 on 04/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

I absolutely love this car!! I bought it about 9 months ago with 50,000 miles. It was a Florida car so the car was perfect. Haven't had any problems with it, I had a choice between the 99 and a 2001 and I chose the 99, the body of the car is a nicer design(classy), I really dislike the newer one, and the visibility on the new one stinks. My first car was a 89 celica and I loved it too. If you want a car that looks gorgeous, drives nice, is reliable, and is at a decent price this is the car for you. I also like that there aren't many out there, it's a very hard car to find, unlike the new one.

I love my car
By mbaron on 10/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

I have had my car for a long time and I have only had one problem. The Cruise control switch failed and I had to get it replaced. I had it replaced by the toyota dealer in Spirit Lake IA and I took about an hour and about $200, It was very distressing because I have never had anything else go wrong in the 45000 miles I have driven it. I love the car, but my husband hates it and asks me to sell it almost daily. It is very small and has almost no head room- perfect for me because I am 5-4. My sons love the car and think I should just give it to them. Fat Chance. I would buy it again in a minute.

Excellent Car
By kittywitty on 10/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

This is a very relaible car...and very fun to drive. Great gas mileage. I get a lot of compliments about my car...and I really love my car. When I get my next car (in the distant future) this is what I plan on getting...yet again.

Handles great and looks good too!
By Tayllor on 09/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

This is a first-rate car. I can be confident that it will have the necessary power when I need it. It is very reliable - I've had it over 4 years with no problems at all. The sporty design is very classy - interior and exterior. It looks like a much more expensive car than it is. Also, excellent resale value.

Fun, reliable, sporty
By Toyota Guy on 06/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

After four years, this car has never had a mechanical problem of any kind. Totally reliable! Fuel economy is good - about 30 highway, 25 city. Handling is superb, braking excellent, could use about 20 more horsepower, but is still quick with the 5 speed manual transmission Reasonably comfortable, even with sport suspension. A bit more tire noise than I would prefer, but that's the only hangup.

good overall with one exception
By blackCelica on 02/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

Overall I am happy with the '99 Celica GT. The exterior has sporty curves and an aggressive stance. The interior is comfortable. The easy to read dials and ergonomic front seats make driving enjoyable. The exterior and interior designs definitely are a good combination of sport and luxury.

fun to drive celica
By cmastr on 01/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

I love my car. It is fun to drive, has great pick up, handles well. I have no problems on busy freeways. It is very comfortable to take on long trips, as long as there are not more than 2 people.