1999 Toyota Celica - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Celica model:
Tough and beautiful
By jt on 12/15/08 01:14 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback

Purchased this beauty silver Celica GT brand new in June 1999. Came with one defect (cold hard start). The dealer right away on 5-6 separate occasions kept saying they can't find anything wrong. I don't think they even bother to check, car seemed tobe just dumped there. Finally got it repaired (idle air control valve) more than 2 years ago by a local shop. Thereafter, the car has never given me any problems except a brand new water tank. This is a tough safe durable car, although it doesn't run that fast. Comfort is OK, except for the cup holder. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Wonderful Car!!
By cowgirlz07 on 08/17/07 13:02 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback

I have always wanted a Celica. When I finally got one, I was so excited. Unfortunately, I only had it 3 weeks before it was totaled. I thought it was a great car. The car had great safety, which is why I'm still alive. I was t-boned in my driver's door and got buried in the woods. My car was demolished, but I escaped with only stitches and a concussion. Great car performance-wise and safety-wise!! Would recommend to anybody. I had the 5 spd and for me it had great pick-up and handled great.

Excellent Sporty Car!!
By Denise on 01/03/06 22:57 PM (PST)

1999 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback

The Toyota Celica is a fantastic investment and such a sporty fun car! In the past four years of owning it, the car has only had one minor breakdown when the water pump broke. (Probably my fault for running the car's gas on empty time and time again). This year of Celica is priceless to have because it was the last of it's body style. I love this car.

GREAT CONVERTIBLE
By love it on 03/22/05 09:11 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Convertible

Mine is a 99, the last year for the convertible. I love it. I have had no mechanical problems and I am up to 85K miles. My only complaints are the drink holders are too small and there is a lot of noise inside the car. But that is usually a problem in convertibles.

Very Fun Car So Far
By jwalsh on 11/28/04 01:47 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Convertible

Just picked this car up in early November. Very clean black GT Convertible (Manual Trans). No complaints at all, just some minor fixes to make with the seals where the rear and front windows meet. This car handles like a dream. It is a tad bit underpowered for its weight, but it grips the road so good, that you can just whip it around for some real fun driving. The car is very sharp, and becoming increasingly rare as time goes on. Standard features from Toyota include a decent stereo (with 75k, the door panels do rattle a bit). Easy to use climate controls, glass rear window, and convenient cruise control Would wish for a little better gas milage 25mpg overall.

99 convertable celica
By lauralee on 07/03/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Convertible

this car is amazing! the convertable is just rare enough to catch people's attention, not to mention its great looks. this car is by far the most amazing car i've owned.

Sooooo Cool!!!
By 2cool4u on 04/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Convertible

This car is awesome! The body styling (especially with the top down) is very sexy, yet classic. It's not very fast, but handles incredibly well around corners-you don't even have to slow down! This car is made for cruising down Lake Shore Drive with the top down, not racing in the Indy 500! The stereo system is also exceptional. It's got 8 speakers that will blow you away, even with the top down! I will never get rid of this car...ever!

Black Beauty
By Laura79 on 04/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback

I absolutely love this car!! I bought it about 9 months ago with 50,000 miles. It was a Florida car so the car was perfect. Haven't had any problems with it, I had a choice between the 99 and a 2001 and I chose the 99, the body of the car is a nicer design(classy), I really dislike the newer one, and the visibility on the new one stinks. My first car was a 89 celica and I loved it too. If you want a car that looks gorgeous, drives nice, is reliable, and is at a decent price this is the car for you. I also like that there aren't many out there, it's a very hard car to find, unlike the new one.

I love my car
By mbaron on 10/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback

I have had my car for a long time and I have only had one problem. The Cruise control switch failed and I had to get it replaced. I had it replaced by the toyota dealer in Spirit Lake IA and I took about an hour and about $200, It was very distressing because I have never had anything else go wrong in the 45000 miles I have driven it. I love the car, but my husband hates it and asks me to sell it almost daily. It is very small and has almost no head room- perfect for me because I am 5-4. My sons love the car and think I should just give it to them. Fat Chance. I would buy it again in a minute.

Love my Celica convertible
By Alicyn on 10/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Convertible

I love this car, it's fun to drive. I LOVE this car!! The gas mileage is reasonable for a car of this size (27 - 30 mpg). It's very reliable. I did have one problem that I have not seen written anywhere. The motors for the top burned out and the car was only 4 years old, I was told when I replaced them ($1,000) that this is a common problem with this model. Something to think about with any convertible.