Used 1999 Toyota Celica Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Toyota Celica - Consumer Reviews

1999 Toyota Celica

View reviews for a specific Celica model:

Tough and beautiful
By jt

1999 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback

Purchased this beauty silver Celica GT brand new in June 1999. Came with one defect (cold hard start). The dealer right away on 5-6 separate occasions kept saying they can't find anything wrong. I don't think they even bother to check, car seemed tobe just dumped there. Finally got it repaired (idle air control valve) more than 2 years ago by a local shop. Thereafter, the car has never given me any problems except a brand new water tank. This is a tough safe durable car, although it doesn't run that fast. Comfort is OK, except for the cup holder. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Favorite Features

Cool sporty looking. Car is just low enough to the ground. And not bulking looking like the newer ones. The stereo speakers have plenty of quality sounds. Inside is roomy enough with all those compartments. Back trunk is huge enough as well.

Suggested Improvements

Needs more speed. Move cup holder to almost eyes or shoulder level. Built in automatic seat belt!

Wonderful Car!!
By cowgirlz07

1999 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback

I have always wanted a Celica. When I finally got one, I was so excited. Unfortunately, I only had it 3 weeks before it was totaled. I thought it was a great car. The car had great safety, which is why I'm still alive. I was t-boned in my driver's door and got buried in the woods. My car was demolished, but I escaped with only stitches and a concussion. Great car performance-wise and safety-wise!! Would recommend to anybody. I had the 5 spd and for me it had great pick-up and handled great.

Favorite Features

Sporty yet classy look, handling, safety, I loved everything about it.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders elsewhere, if I was using them, the cups got in the way of the shifter.

Excellent Sporty Car!!
By Denise

1999 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback

The Toyota Celica is a fantastic investment and such a sporty fun car! In the past four years of owning it, the car has only had one minor breakdown when the water pump broke. (Probably my fault for running the car's gas on empty time and time again). This year of Celica is priceless to have because it was the last of it's body style. I love this car.

Favorite Features

The ground effects on the body of the car. The compartment below the radio, perfect for my sunglasses. The very roomy trunk.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger fuel capacity. Higher backseat ceiling. More leg room.

GREAT CONVERTIBLE
By love it

1999 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Convertible

Mine is a 99, the last year for the convertible. I love it. I have had no mechanical problems and I am up to 85K miles. My only complaints are the drink holders are too small and there is a lot of noise inside the car. But that is usually a problem in convertibles.

Favorite Features

Body Style and being a convertible

Suggested Improvements

better drinkholders

Very Fun Car So Far
By jwalsh

1999 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Convertible

Just picked this car up in early November. Very clean black GT Convertible (Manual Trans). No complaints at all, just some minor fixes to make with the seals where the rear and front windows meet. This car handles like a dream. It is a tad bit underpowered for its weight, but it grips the road so good, that you can just whip it around for some real fun driving. The car is very sharp, and becoming increasingly rare as time goes on. Standard features from Toyota include a decent stereo (with 75k, the door panels do rattle a bit). Easy to use climate controls, glass rear window, and convenient cruise control Would wish for a little better gas milage 25mpg overall.

Favorite Features

Excellent handling, lots of nice standard features, decent power for size and fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Really can't suggest anything now as the car is 6 years old.