1999 Toyota Celica GT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Toyota Celica - Consumer Reviews

1999 Celica Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Celica model:

Sort Reviews by

Tough and beautiful
By jt

1999 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback

Purchased this beauty silver Celica GT brand new in June 1999. Came with one defect (cold hard start). The dealer right away on 5-6 separate occasions kept saying they can't find anything wrong. I don't think they even bother to check, car seemed tobe just dumped there. Finally got it repaired (idle air control valve) more than 2 years ago by a local shop. Thereafter, the car has never given me any problems except a brand new water tank. This is a tough safe durable car, although it doesn't run that fast. Comfort is OK, except for the cup holder. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Favorite Features

Cool sporty looking. Car is just low enough to the ground. And not bulking looking like the newer ones. The stereo speakers have plenty of quality sounds. Inside is roomy enough with all those compartments. Back trunk is huge enough as well.

Suggested Improvements

Needs more speed. Move cup holder to almost eyes or shoulder level. Built in automatic seat belt!

Wonderful Car!!
By cowgirlz07

1999 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback

I have always wanted a Celica. When I finally got one, I was so excited. Unfortunately, I only had it 3 weeks before it was totaled. I thought it was a great car. The car had great safety, which is why I'm still alive. I was t-boned in my driver's door and got buried in the woods. My car was demolished, but I escaped with only stitches and a concussion. Great car performance-wise and safety-wise!! Would recommend to anybody. I had the 5 spd and for me it had great pick-up and handled great.

Favorite Features

Sporty yet classy look, handling, safety, I loved everything about it.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders elsewhere, if I was using them, the cups got in the way of the shifter.

Excellent Sporty Car!!
By Denise

1999 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback

The Toyota Celica is a fantastic investment and such a sporty fun car! In the past four years of owning it, the car has only had one minor breakdown when the water pump broke. (Probably my fault for running the car's gas on empty time and time again). This year of Celica is priceless to have because it was the last of it's body style. I love this car.

Favorite Features

The ground effects on the body of the car. The compartment below the radio, perfect for my sunglasses. The very roomy trunk.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger fuel capacity. Higher backseat ceiling. More leg room.

GREAT CONVERTIBLE
By love it

1999 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Convertible

Mine is a 99, the last year for the convertible. I love it. I have had no mechanical problems and I am up to 85K miles. My only complaints are the drink holders are too small and there is a lot of noise inside the car. But that is usually a problem in convertibles.

Favorite Features

Body Style and being a convertible

Suggested Improvements

better drinkholders

Very Fun Car So Far
By jwalsh

1999 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Convertible

Just picked this car up in early November. Very clean black GT Convertible (Manual Trans). No complaints at all, just some minor fixes to make with the seals where the rear and front windows meet. This car handles like a dream. It is a tad bit underpowered for its weight, but it grips the road so good, that you can just whip it around for some real fun driving. The car is very sharp, and becoming increasingly rare as time goes on. Standard features from Toyota include a decent stereo (with 75k, the door panels do rattle a bit). Easy to use climate controls, glass rear window, and convenient cruise control Would wish for a little better gas milage 25mpg overall.

Favorite Features

Excellent handling, lots of nice standard features, decent power for size and fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Really can't suggest anything now as the car is 6 years old.

99 convertable celica
By lauralee

1999 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Convertible

this car is amazing! the convertable is just rare enough to catch people's attention, not to mention its great looks. this car is by far the most amazing car i've owned.

Favorite Features

personally, i love the exterior. i love the body shape.

Suggested Improvements

i only wish this car had a built in garage door opener- then it would be beyond perfect.

Sooooo Cool!!!
By 2cool4u

1999 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Convertible

This car is awesome! The body styling (especially with the top down) is very sexy, yet classic. It's not very fast, but handles incredibly well around corners-you don't even have to slow down! This car is made for cruising down Lake Shore Drive with the top down, not racing in the Indy 500! The stereo system is also exceptional. It's got 8 speakers that will blow you away, even with the top down! I will never get rid of this car...ever!

Favorite Features

Body style (1999 was the last year of the classic look before Toyota changed the body style and ruined it!), handling, stereo system, great gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

The only complaints are the performance could be better, maybe put a 6 cylinder in it instead of a 4, and the seats could be more comfortable-they are very stiff and hard. Add a couple of inches of padding and they would be perfect!

Black Beauty
By Laura79

1999 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback

I absolutely love this car!! I bought it about 9 months ago with 50,000 miles. It was a Florida car so the car was perfect. Haven't had any problems with it, I had a choice between the 99 and a 2001 and I chose the 99, the body of the car is a nicer design(classy), I really dislike the newer one, and the visibility on the new one stinks. My first car was a 89 celica and I loved it too. If you want a car that looks gorgeous, drives nice, is reliable, and is at a decent price this is the car for you. I also like that there aren't many out there, it's a very hard car to find, unlike the new one.

Favorite Features

body style, interior and exterior, large trunk for a sports car. The car is downright sexy and I get a ton of compliments on it!

Suggested Improvements

cupholders and radio speakers could be alittle bit better (the door speakers need some insulation around them or something because when you turn up the music if it has alot of bass it muffles in the door). Also alittle more horsepower would be cool, say 200HP

I love my car
By mbaron

1999 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback

I have had my car for a long time and I have only had one problem. The Cruise control switch failed and I had to get it replaced. I had it replaced by the toyota dealer in Spirit Lake IA and I took about an hour and about $200, It was very distressing because I have never had anything else go wrong in the 45000 miles I have driven it. I love the car, but my husband hates it and asks me to sell it almost daily. It is very small and has almost no head room- perfect for me because I am 5-4. My sons love the car and think I should just give it to them. Fat Chance. I would buy it again in a minute.

Favorite Features

Hatch gives me enough room to carry a bike or a large dog when seats are folded down.

Suggested Improvements

Make the car more sound proof. It has a lot of road noise.

Love my Celica convertible
By Alicyn

1999 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Convertible

I love this car, it's fun to drive. I LOVE this car!! The gas mileage is reasonable for a car of this size (27 - 30 mpg). It's very reliable. I did have one problem that I have not seen written anywhere. The motors for the top burned out and the car was only 4 years old, I was told when I replaced them ($1,000) that this is a common problem with this model. Something to think about with any convertible.

Favorite Features

It's so smooth to drive. The brakes are really incredible!!!! The handling exceptional.

Suggested Improvements

More reliable motors in the convertible top.