Used 1998 Toyota Celica Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Toyota Celica - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Celica model:

Still a superior car
By hondoman45

1998 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Coupe

This is my fourth Celica and all have been great cars. Good power and handling, great gas mileage (about 29 mpg overall), and reliability that other car makers can only dream of. It's nice to be low to the ground in a fast car! It has a pretty smooth ride and is quieter than most at speed. Not many people buy these so it's rare to see another one during a week. I don't want to sell this one I've got as there just isn't a car I'd rather have! With over 175k, it runs like new and is close to new in looks as well. Toyota rocks! I have the automatic and love it!

Suggested Improvements

None

Great car, my fourth Celica
By Chad

1998 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback

Car has been highly reliable, as have been all the Celicas I've owned. It is great to drive (assuming you're happy with front wheel drive), taking me happily down California Route 1 at California highway speeds. Surprisingly good trunk space has handled Christmas trees, Nordic track exerciser and other large items. Very good interior layout. Comfortable seats, but low for people in poor shape.

Favorite Features

Good handling, not just for basic driving, has kept me out of trouble on the California freeways. Comfortable. Good looks. Powered sunroof doesn't make it a convertible, but very enjoyable.

Suggested Improvements

Valve that controls idling has failed twice, the only significant defect -- replaced once under warranty and once at 45,000 miles.

98 Celica
By Kathy

1998 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback

The car is stylish and fun to drive. It's reliable and can be counted on to be zippy when needed in the 5-speed manual. The interior gadgets are not always of the utmost quality, but it's easily overlooked for the overall quality of the car.

Drop The Top
By Elsie

1998 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Convertible

This car has been in our family since it rolled off the assembly line and we've all fought to drive it. Nothing is more fun than dropping the top on a sunny day and flying through all five speeds. The leather is still in great condition and the styling seems to get better with age; I get asked all the time what kind it is. Of course, it's Toyota reliable. So much fun and so many miles left to drive!

Favorite Features

Of course the convertible is the best feature! The 5- speed is smooth and the turning radius amazes my friends!

Suggested Improvements

The seats could use an adjustable headrest and better lumbar support.

Toyota No.6
By Nighthawk

1998 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback

My wife fell in love with her first one and she continues to like every new one that we buy. She likes the ability to park it almost anywhere-carry loads of all sizes and shapes and adjust the radio to a particular type of music. She especially likes the relliability. Never had a recall replaced the usual items tire- blades, etc. It has had regular maintaince, change oil 3000-4000 miles

Favorite Features

Quick turning, easy of parking the stereo.

Suggested Improvements

I wish she could get all of the features of her 1986. Am-Fm stereo- Lumbar and laderal seat support. Will she buy another only if they have more accesories available. We looked at 2000s. We did like the stripped down feel of car.