Used 1997 Toyota Celica Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Toyota Celica Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Celica model:

My Blk 97 Celica ST
By Ohio Celica

1997 Toyota Celica Hatchback ST 2dr Hatchback

This was has been really great car. It hasn't given me any problems and it very reliable. I still get 400-500 miles on a tank of gas. The only isssues were with a repair on the body which is starting to rust. This is not the fault of the car, but the repair shop. I still get a lot of compliments on the way the car looks. I'm planning on buying a new car soon and giving this one to my nephew for college. Will be sorry to see it go, but I know it will serve him well during his college years.

The interior is really nice, everything is in arms reach. Handles really well, the great gas milage and the dependibility. The size of the hatch when the seats are folded down.

Cup holder is in a bad location and wished it had more power.

Incredible
By Rugby in Texas

1997 Toyota Celica Hatchback ST Limited Edition 2dr Hatchback

I have had this car for close to 10 years, and there is nothing better. Could use more horsepower, but it works. I just got in my first accident. I totalled the other car. I connected the battery cable and I was off with some physical damage on the car but still in great driving condition, This car is a security blanket, superbly reliable. I will never get rid of it.

Cute car, fun to drive
By Keri

1997 Toyota Celica Hatchback ST Limited Edition 2dr Hatchback

This is my first car that I've had to myself. It is perfect for me. Very reliable, great gas mileage, and fun to drive. It has a tiny engine, but you can't tell by the way it drives. It has plenty of power for such a small car. It has sufficient room for me and for my stuff in the trunk (I am a musician). But it is pretty tight for carrying passengers. There are four seats and I don't recommend this car if you are tall. Other than that, it is a great little car. It is very sporty looking, and heads always turn as a drive past. I am extremely satified with my Celica.

Styling, color (super red), seats and mats embroidered with "celica", spoiler, stock cd player and sound system is amazing!, reliability, gas mileage, power, handling (handles great on ice too), nice, five spoke wheels, good condition.

Limited edition comes with wood trim around the dash etc. It originally was nice, but when it's aged, the layers separate and it looks ugly. Fortunately, the trim is easy to remove and you can either leave it or buy new trim online. It is a cute, tiny car. Don't expect leg room in the back seat.

All I could ask for
By Alan

1997 Toyota Celica Hatchback ST Limited Edition 2dr Hatchback

My daughter has been driving this vehicle for over 5 years and it has been the best vehicle I've ever owned. The performance has been excellent, the maintenance very low and the overall cost of driving exceptional. The styling of the 97 Celica is classic and even after 9 years the body and paint are in excellent condition. It runs like a jewel and I believe it will continue to give us great service well beyond 150,000 miles. A great car!

Beautiful body style. Great paint (Red). Absolutely the best AC system ever made. Fun to drive

My first car and I absolutely love it!
By stef

1997 Toyota Celica Hatchback ST 2dr Hatchback

This car was designed and built for rally. If you know rally, you know the cars have to be quick, reliable and handle amazingly to win, and the celica is just that. Performance is rated down simply because a better engine exists. And I only rated it down for fuel economy and fun to drive because mine is an automatic. It only gets about 250 mi to the tank where a manual can get over 400. and manuals are just naturally more fun to drive.

Ride, beautiful car inside and out, hatchback has very good trunk space, dials and functions are easy to figure out

More power/ bring the turbocharged 275+hp version to the US, 4 wheel disc brakes on all models (st has drums in the back), small back seats are a common complaint among passengers