Used 1997 Toyota Celica ST Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Toyota Celica Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Celica model:

Amazing little cars.
By 97st6gc5spdhbk

1997 Toyota Celica Hatchback ST 2dr Hatchback

I'm amazed at the quality & overall craftsmanship Toyota put into this car. It ALWAYS starts. 5 speed combined w/ the 1.8 4cyl makes gas mileage INSANELY good! Full tank gets 400+ miles. Car is also super light & brakes easily/quickly. I've seen alot of people complaining about a 'lack of power' ...really? If you wanted power why would you buy a 4cyl "Sports" car? I've never had a problem passing someone when needed. All-in-all I feel this car makes for aa good investment. 193k without a problem here!

Styling, reliablity, MPG, quality, 5 Speed transmission.

Don't EVER put 8" speakers in a car again. That was odd & very difficult to find 8" replacement features.

First car!
By swissferdi

1997 Toyota Celica Hatchback ST 2dr Hatchback

Bought this car as a reliable and safe daily driver; before seeing it, I had known nothing about 6GCs, and now I'm pretty much obsessed. Handling is crisp, and the car's lightness is really apparent in braking, lane-change, and general handling capabilities. As long as you don't test the 7A-FE too much, it's a really fun car to drive that'll return some pretty good MPG (unfortunately, I have the worst combo for power & MPG, an automatic coupled to the least powerful engine). Other than installing a new head unit and speakers, this car is stock, but completely livable. Interior is also great, I love how the center console is angled towards the driver, and the layout is very well thought-out.

Beautiful and well thought-out interior; low weight; sports-car feel (without the balls, sadly); pretty decent MPG; is very comfortable in city or highway; factory fogs; very unique, I could count the number of 6GCs I've seen on two hands.

Toyota screwed up in the power department, the ST just has no guts. But for those with cash lying around, a 3S-GTE is the answer.

My Blk 97 Celica ST
By Ohio Celica

1997 Toyota Celica Hatchback ST 2dr Hatchback

This was has been really great car. It hasn't given me any problems and it very reliable. I still get 400-500 miles on a tank of gas. The only isssues were with a repair on the body which is starting to rust. This is not the fault of the car, but the repair shop. I still get a lot of compliments on the way the car looks. I'm planning on buying a new car soon and giving this one to my nephew for college. Will be sorry to see it go, but I know it will serve him well during his college years.

The interior is really nice, everything is in arms reach. Handles really well, the great gas milage and the dependibility. The size of the hatch when the seats are folded down.

Cup holder is in a bad location and wished it had more power.

My first car and I absolutely love it!
By stef

1997 Toyota Celica Hatchback ST 2dr Hatchback

This car was designed and built for rally. If you know rally, you know the cars have to be quick, reliable and handle amazingly to win, and the celica is just that. Performance is rated down simply because a better engine exists. And I only rated it down for fuel economy and fun to drive because mine is an automatic. It only gets about 250 mi to the tank where a manual can get over 400. and manuals are just naturally more fun to drive.

Ride, beautiful car inside and out, hatchback has very good trunk space, dials and functions are easy to figure out

More power/ bring the turbocharged 275+hp version to the US, 4 wheel disc brakes on all models (st has drums in the back), small back seats are a common complaint among passengers

Great Car...Never a problem
By Burnie

1997 Toyota Celica Hatchback ST 2dr Hatchback

This car handles like a dream. In nearly 6 years of ownership, I've had but one problem, an electrical quirk with the passenger side window control being erratic when the passenger tries to control it. Problem is relieved with touch from driver's side, then passenger side control is resumed. Service Dept. could not nail down problem, so I've lived with it. Otherwise, there's not a thing wrong with the car.

Great acceleration and impressive road- hugging handling, especially around parkway entrance/exit loops, where highway speed can essentially be maintained.

Honestly, my suggested improvement would be for Toyota to discontinue the new cheeseball Celica design and return to this one, abandoned after the late 1990s.