Used 1997 Toyota Celica Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Toyota Celica - Consumer Reviews

1997 Toyota Celica Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Celica model:

190k still going
By ae117

1997 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

Mine is an automatic 1995 toyota celica gt. It even has the original battery and in indiana here is constantly 10 - 20 degrees in the morning and starts everytime. The shocks are starting to go Finally but the engine is still strong as all get out. I can believe how this thing goes. Hoping to buy another one tomorrow.

Favorite Features

Engine and the interior for a 95 i like it more then most modern cars.

Suggested Improvements

I was never a fan of the front end looks but i can deal with it since it is an amazing car.

Amazing little cars.
By 97st6gc5spdhbk

1997 Toyota Celica Hatchback ST 2dr Hatchback

I'm amazed at the quality & overall craftsmanship Toyota put into this car. It ALWAYS starts. 5 speed combined w/ the 1.8 4cyl makes gas mileage INSANELY good! Full tank gets 400+ miles. Car is also super light & brakes easily/quickly. I've seen alot of people complaining about a 'lack of power' ...really? If you wanted power why would you buy a 4cyl "Sports" car? I've never had a problem passing someone when needed. All-in-all I feel this car makes for aa good investment. 193k without a problem here!

Favorite Features

Styling, reliablity, MPG, quality, 5 Speed transmission.

Suggested Improvements

Don't EVER put 8" speakers in a car again. That was odd & very difficult to find 8" replacement features.

Best car by far!!!!
By neecey

1997 Toyota Celica Hatchback ST Limited Edition 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car 10 years ago, and she runs like the day I got her...Just hit 150,000 miles and have never had any mechanical problems at all. That amazes me! Shocks are starting to show signs of needing replacing, power antennae motor went and that's all I've have to deal with in the last 10 years..I get an avg of 35 MPG. I can't say anything bad about the reliability or drivability of this car.. I LOVE IT!!!!!!

own for 8 years
By richie

1997 Toyota Celica Hatchback ST Limited Edition 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car with 65,000 miles. Now I've had it for about 8 years and it has 193,000 miles and it never has given me any bad problems other then the starter and cv boots. Overall I enjoy this car.

Favorite Features

The exterior is awesome looks like a small Supra.

Suggested Improvements

More power in the 1.8.

First car!
By swissferdi

1997 Toyota Celica Hatchback ST 2dr Hatchback

Bought this car as a reliable and safe daily driver; before seeing it, I had known nothing about 6GCs, and now I'm pretty much obsessed. Handling is crisp, and the car's lightness is really apparent in braking, lane-change, and general handling capabilities. As long as you don't test the 7A-FE too much, it's a really fun car to drive that'll return some pretty good MPG (unfortunately, I have the worst combo for power & MPG, an automatic coupled to the least powerful engine). Other than installing a new head unit and speakers, this car is stock, but completely livable. Interior is also great, I love how the center console is angled towards the driver, and the layout is very well thought-out.

Favorite Features

Beautiful and well thought-out interior; low weight; sports-car feel (without the balls, sadly); pretty decent MPG; is very comfortable in city or highway; factory fogs; very unique, I could count the number of 6GCs I've seen on two hands.

Suggested Improvements

Toyota screwed up in the power department, the ST just has no guts. But for those with cash lying around, a 3S-GTE is the answer.