1997 Toyota Celica Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Celica model:
1997 Celica GT Convertible Limited Edition
By dianne714 on 09/02/14 15:45 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Celica Convertible GT 2dr Convertible

I love this car so much I just want to drive it all the times. I bought a blue one with 108K miles a few months a go and drove it for 3 months and found another 1997 Limited Edition, black with tan top last week with 135K miles. This one drives like a new car. Everything works nicely and not a tear in the interior. It's beautiful and I am going to enjoy driving this for a long time. I will get the interior cover so that I don't have to raise or lower the top all the time. This is one way to preserve the motors. They are expensive and getting hard to find.

Excellent convertible
By thompson on 01/04/08 15:41 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota Celica Convertible GT Limited Edition 2dr Convertible

It's a well-designed car, and after 10 years it still attracts positive comments from other motorists. The car continues to perform well. We've driven it in Connecticut winters, and it handles well in snowy weather and with its well-lined top and good heater stays comfortable. Of course, it's always great in warm weather -- it now resides in California.

1997 Toyota Celica Convertible
By albo on 03/20/07 15:51 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Celica Convertible GT Limited Edition 2dr Convertible

I purchased this car for fun and am very much enjoying it. It has only 71k mi. and is very clean. It handles great. I feel 18 again with the top down. I have always liked this model and have not been sorry.

Wow!
By Oh, joy! on 02/18/07 18:26 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota Celica Convertible GT Limited Edition 2dr Convertible

I bought this car just shy of two weeks ago and I cannot believe how pleased I am already. The GT is a performance machine that lives up to every expectation. It gets going in a hurry, feels like it will never let go of the road, and makes the driver truly a part of the drive. Sitting in this car felt like home to me right from the start of the test drive. It is also a Toyota, which gives me every confidence in its reliability. Finally, the fun-to-drive factor is way beyond a mere "10." The only negative I can find about it is the placement of the cupholders. But this is a non-issue placed alongside the overwhelming positives. It's a winner.

My 97 blk,blk,blk Celica GT Convertible
By alan swiatek on 04/28/06 19:47 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Celica Convertible GT Limited Edition 2dr Convertible

I purchased it last fall and have had a lot of fun with it. It handles great, you can speed up into turns and has great pep. My wife and I go for a ride, we crank up the stereo and feel like were 18 again. I have always liked the styling on this model. It is very sporty yet we can put more than a tooth brush in the trunk. The car is very clean and only has 73 k miles

Love my Celica
By Happy Camper on 07/14/05 17:38 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Celica Convertible GT Limited Edition 2dr Convertible

Bought the car new. Has 130000 miles and still acts new. Burns about 1/3 qt of oil /4000 miles between oil changes. Engine clean & dry. Great car for long auto vacation for two. Would like more than the 130 horsepower but is adequate. Expect to drive this car for many more years.

Toyota quality
By convertman on 05/18/05 18:48 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Celica Convertible GT Limited Edition 2dr Convertible

Very nice car (bought as previously owned, w/only 69K miles). It drives almost like new. Did change the timing belt (also the thermo/eng. belts/etc.) and I've put about 3K miles on. So far, very reliable. Not a head-turner like the Z3/Miata, however, way more functional (bigger trunk, space to sit in the back seat) and much better reliability. It is still very fun to drive. I can see why the resale on these is so very good. They almost never break down. Even with the miles my car has on it, I can see, drive and feel how reliable a car it's been. The leather interior looks/smells new, the gadgets all work. Great combo of looks, utility, performance and economy.

Almost perfect
By Celica fan in DC on 09/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Celica Convertible GT 2dr Convertible

I finally settled on this car after a year of shopping and have been happy with it ever since. The cockpit fits like a glove, with plenty of leg room (I'm 6'2"), the car corners on rails, and has enough power to get out of trouble. Surprisingly quiet with the top up and shear pleasure with it down. The reviewers seem to think something is wrong with the styling, but I still have people walk up to me at lights and tell me how beautiful the car is. After seven years of driving this car, I only have two real complaints - 1. The cup holders are in an awkward spot. 2. Toyota stopped making it.

No problem at all
By RT826 on 12/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota Celica Convertible GT Limited Edition 2dr Convertible

Over all such a great car. I love it. It's worth every penny. I've had it since 1997 and had no problem whatsoever. Generous trunk space for a convertible. I got a great deal!!!

My Celica
By Jentibe on 03/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota Celica Convertible GT 2dr Convertible

My only problems have been cosmetic internally. Other than that, this is the most reliable, fun-to-drive car that I've owned!