1997 Toyota Celica - Consumer Reviews

GT 2.2L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (3 reviews )
Amazing little cars.
By 97st6gc5spdhbk on 05/19/12 03:05 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Celica ST 2dr Hatchback

I'm amazed at the quality & overall craftsmanship Toyota put into this car. It ALWAYS starts. 5 speed combined w/ the 1.8 4cyl makes gas mileage INSANELY good! Full tank gets 400+ miles. Car is also super light & brakes easily/quickly. I've seen alot of people complaining about a 'lack of power' ...really? If you wanted power why would you buy a 4cyl "Sports" car? I've never had a problem passing someone when needed. All-in-all I feel this car makes for aa good investment. 193k without a problem here!

First car!
By swissferdi on 02/20/09 21:40 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota Celica ST 2dr Hatchback

Bought this car as a reliable and safe daily driver; before seeing it, I had known nothing about 6GCs, and now I'm pretty much obsessed. Handling is crisp, and the car's lightness is really apparent in braking, lane-change, and general handling capabilities. As long as you don't test the 7A-FE too much, it's a really fun car to drive that'll return some pretty good MPG (unfortunately, I have the worst combo for power & MPG, an automatic coupled to the least powerful engine). Other than installing a new head unit and speakers, this car is stock, but completely livable. Interior is also great, I love how the center console is angled towards the driver, and the layout is very well thought-out.

My Blk 97 Celica ST
By Ohio Celica on 09/06/07 10:41 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Celica ST 2dr Hatchback

This was has been really great car. It hasn't given me any problems and it very reliable. I still get 400-500 miles on a tank of gas. The only isssues were with a repair on the body which is starting to rust. This is not the fault of the car, but the repair shop. I still get a lot of compliments on the way the car looks. I'm planning on buying a new car soon and giving this one to my nephew for college. Will be sorry to see it go, but I know it will serve him well during his college years.

My first car and I absolutely love it!
By stef on 03/25/06 11:02 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota Celica ST 2dr Hatchback

This car was designed and built for rally. If you know rally, you know the cars have to be quick, reliable and handle amazingly to win, and the celica is just that. Performance is rated down simply because a better engine exists. And I only rated it down for fuel economy and fun to drive because mine is an automatic. It only gets about 250 mi to the tank where a manual can get over 400. and manuals are just naturally more fun to drive.

Great Car...Never a problem
By Burnie on 10/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Celica ST 2dr Hatchback

This car handles like a dream. In nearly 6 years of ownership, I've had but one problem, an electrical quirk with the passenger side window control being erratic when the passenger tries to control it. Problem is relieved with touch from driver's side, then passenger side control is resumed. Service Dept. could not nail down problem, so I've lived with it. Otherwise, there's not a thing wrong with the car.

Awsome car
By VORCON on 04/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

it IS QUICK, RELIABLE, LOOKS GOOD

need for speed
By Johnny D on 07/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Celica ST 2dr Hatchback

i bought this car with plans to turn it in to a pocket rocket, i suppose that is my only dissapointment. toyota marketted the celica as an economy car in america, using heads with smaller valves gives them the awesome gas millage they get. but for speed enthusiasts like myself, we have to spend twice as much as honda and acura owners to get the HP we desire. but i love the look and the suspention is great, especially with a set of TRD springs, and i have done a few performance mods that have probably put me up to the GT model's status, but untill i change the heads i'll never have the power i originally intended it to have.