1997 Toyota Celica - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Celica model:
Amazing little cars.
By 97st6gc5spdhbk on 05/19/12 03:05 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Celica ST 2dr Hatchback

I'm amazed at the quality & overall craftsmanship Toyota put into this car. It ALWAYS starts. 5 speed combined w/ the 1.8 4cyl makes gas mileage INSANELY good! Full tank gets 400+ miles. Car is also super light & brakes easily/quickly. I've seen alot of people complaining about a 'lack of power' ...really? If you wanted power why would you buy a 4cyl "Sports" car? I've never had a problem passing someone when needed. All-in-all I feel this car makes for aa good investment. 193k without a problem here!

Best car by far!!!!
By neecey on 04/13/11 15:54 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Celica ST Limited Edition 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car 10 years ago, and she runs like the day I got her...Just hit 150,000 miles and have never had any mechanical problems at all. That amazes me! Shocks are starting to show signs of needing replacing, power antennae motor went and that's all I've have to deal with in the last 10 years..I get an avg of 35 MPG. I can't say anything bad about the reliability or drivability of this car.. I LOVE IT!!!!!!

190k still going
By ae117 on 01/26/11 22:45 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback

Mine is an automatic 1995 toyota celica gt. It even has the original battery and in indiana here is constantly 10 - 20 degrees in the morning and starts everytime. The shocks are starting to go Finally but the engine is still strong as all get out. I can believe how this thing goes. Hoping to buy another one tomorrow.

First car!
By swissferdi on 02/20/09 21:40 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota Celica ST 2dr Hatchback

Bought this car as a reliable and safe daily driver; before seeing it, I had known nothing about 6GCs, and now I'm pretty much obsessed. Handling is crisp, and the car's lightness is really apparent in braking, lane-change, and general handling capabilities. As long as you don't test the 7A-FE too much, it's a really fun car to drive that'll return some pretty good MPG (unfortunately, I have the worst combo for power & MPG, an automatic coupled to the least powerful engine). Other than installing a new head unit and speakers, this car is stock, but completely livable. Interior is also great, I love how the center console is angled towards the driver, and the layout is very well thought-out.

own for 8 years
By richie on 06/15/08 19:27 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Celica ST Limited Edition 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car with 65,000 miles. Now I've had it for about 8 years and it has 193,000 miles and it never has given me any bad problems other then the starter and cv boots. Overall I enjoy this car.

Excellent convertible
By thompson on 01/04/08 15:41 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota Celica GT Limited Edition 2dr Convertible

It's a well-designed car, and after 10 years it still attracts positive comments from other motorists. The car continues to perform well. We've driven it in Connecticut winters, and it handles well in snowy weather and with its well-lined top and good heater stays comfortable. Of course, it's always great in warm weather -- it now resides in California.

My Blk 97 Celica ST
By Ohio Celica on 09/06/07 10:41 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Celica ST 2dr Hatchback

This was has been really great car. It hasn't given me any problems and it very reliable. I still get 400-500 miles on a tank of gas. The only isssues were with a repair on the body which is starting to rust. This is not the fault of the car, but the repair shop. I still get a lot of compliments on the way the car looks. I'm planning on buying a new car soon and giving this one to my nephew for college. Will be sorry to see it go, but I know it will serve him well during his college years.

Incredible
By Rugby in Texas on 06/18/07 11:22 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Celica ST Limited Edition 2dr Hatchback

I have had this car for close to 10 years, and there is nothing better. Could use more horsepower, but it works. I just got in my first accident. I totalled the other car. I connected the battery cable and I was off with some physical damage on the car but still in great driving condition, This car is a security blanket, superbly reliable. I will never get rid of it.

1997 Toyota Celica Convertible
By albo on 03/20/07 15:51 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Celica GT Limited Edition 2dr Convertible

I purchased this car for fun and am very much enjoying it. It has only 71k mi. and is very clean. It handles great. I feel 18 again with the top down. I have always liked this model and have not been sorry.

Wow!
By Oh, joy! on 02/18/07 18:26 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota Celica GT Limited Edition 2dr Convertible

I bought this car just shy of two weeks ago and I cannot believe how pleased I am already. The GT is a performance machine that lives up to every expectation. It gets going in a hurry, feels like it will never let go of the road, and makes the driver truly a part of the drive. Sitting in this car felt like home to me right from the start of the test drive. It is also a Toyota, which gives me every confidence in its reliability. Finally, the fun-to-drive factor is way beyond a mere "10." The only negative I can find about it is the placement of the cupholders. But this is a non-issue placed alongside the overwhelming positives. It's a winner.