Used 1997 Toyota Celica Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Toyota Celica - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Celica model:

1997 Celica GT Convertible Limited Edition
By dianne714

1997 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Convertible

I love this car so much I just want to drive it all the times. I bought a blue one with 108K miles a few months a go and drove it for 3 months and found another 1997 Limited Edition, black with tan top last week with 135K miles. This one drives like a new car. Everything works nicely and not a tear in the interior. It's beautiful and I am going to enjoy driving this for a long time. I will get the interior cover so that I don't have to raise or lower the top all the time. This is one way to preserve the motors. They are expensive and getting hard to find.

convertible, 5 spd, great MPG, good pick up, handling.

Cup holders, but who cares!!

Amazing little cars.
By 97st6gc5spdhbk

1997 Toyota Celica ST 2dr Hatchback

I'm amazed at the quality & overall craftsmanship Toyota put into this car. It ALWAYS starts. 5 speed combined w/ the 1.8 4cyl makes gas mileage INSANELY good! Full tank gets 400+ miles. Car is also super light & brakes easily/quickly. I've seen alot of people complaining about a 'lack of power' ...really? If you wanted power why would you buy a 4cyl "Sports" car? I've never had a problem passing someone when needed. All-in-all I feel this car makes for aa good investment. 193k without a problem here!

Styling, reliablity, MPG, quality, 5 Speed transmission.

Don't EVER put 8" speakers in a car again. That was odd & very difficult to find 8" replacement features.

Best car by far!!!!
By neecey

1997 Toyota Celica ST Limited Edition 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car 10 years ago, and she runs like the day I got her...Just hit 150,000 miles and have never had any mechanical problems at all. That amazes me! Shocks are starting to show signs of needing replacing, power antennae motor went and that's all I've have to deal with in the last 10 years..I get an avg of 35 MPG. I can't say anything bad about the reliability or drivability of this car.. I LOVE IT!!!!!!

190k still going
By ae117

1997 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback

Mine is an automatic 1995 toyota celica gt. It even has the original battery and in indiana here is constantly 10 - 20 degrees in the morning and starts everytime. The shocks are starting to go Finally but the engine is still strong as all get out. I can believe how this thing goes. Hoping to buy another one tomorrow.

Engine and the interior for a 95 i like it more then most modern cars.

I was never a fan of the front end looks but i can deal with it since it is an amazing car.

First car!
By swissferdi

1997 Toyota Celica ST 2dr Hatchback

Bought this car as a reliable and safe daily driver; before seeing it, I had known nothing about 6GCs, and now I'm pretty much obsessed. Handling is crisp, and the car's lightness is really apparent in braking, lane-change, and general handling capabilities. As long as you don't test the 7A-FE too much, it's a really fun car to drive that'll return some pretty good MPG (unfortunately, I have the worst combo for power & MPG, an automatic coupled to the least powerful engine). Other than installing a new head unit and speakers, this car is stock, but completely livable. Interior is also great, I love how the center console is angled towards the driver, and the layout is very well thought-out.

Beautiful and well thought-out interior; low weight; sports-car feel (without the balls, sadly); pretty decent MPG; is very comfortable in city or highway; factory fogs; very unique, I could count the number of 6GCs I've seen on two hands.

Toyota screwed up in the power department, the ST just has no guts. But for those with cash lying around, a 3S-GTE is the answer.