Celica ST 5-Speed
By synthman on
1995 Toyota Celica ST 2dr Coupe
I have mixed feelings when it comes to the Celica. Some things I like, others I don't. I guess I'll start with the good: reliable, looks good, handles great, and ok mpg. The bad: rides rough, cramped and uncomfortable interior, and is slow as sin. I'm 5'10" and it feels like I drive a sardine can, absolutely no room. It doesn't help that you feel every dip or rock in the road through your spine. You have to run it at redline if you want to get anywhere anytime soon. Absolutely lackluster straight line performance. Also the cup holder is useless with the 5-speed, since it occupies the area your elbow is when you go to shift. Oh, and there is no aftermarket for this car...at all...
Favorite Features
The styling, exterior and interior. The one good thing about it. Very driver oriented dashboard. Build quality is very good. Car has a very dense feel to it for a car of its size.
Suggested Improvements
Faster or more economical for the kind of car it is. Civic of the same year with the same power and weight gets significantly better fuel economy. Celica gets 29/34 where as the Civic gets 34/40. It's frustrating. The car looks a lot faster than what it is, which brings another slew of problems. Though in fairness the Japanese and European markets got the SS-III and GT-Four.