Used 1995 Toyota Celica Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Toyota Celica Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Celica model:

Just Incredible
By commdeus

1995 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

Just picked one up with 85K miles on it. I wanted one back when they came out, but I ended up working overseas. So finally bought one! Simply put, it's incredible! I've owned a variety of cars in my life, but this is the first one that I actually take out for night time drives after the kids are in bed. It's got some pep in stock form. Great handling. A little low on the torque at high RPMs, but I prefer low-end torque on windy roads anyway. There's enough space in the back for two child seats, the stock speakers are quite good, and the front seats are really comfortable. The fuel mileage couldn't be better either - I'm anticipating 500 miles per fill-up.

Low-end torque, handling, unique and classic styling, unfrilly dash, sunroof, fold down back seats, fuel mileage.

None. In fact, I'm having a hard time deciding what kind of performance improvement mods to do as nothing is really needed.

Just Plain Fun
By Gabriel384

1995 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

Fun. It's a great car that seems to age very well if you keep up with basic care like oil changes and belts. Design is far better than current Celica design with far better built quality and duribility. The horse power leaves a little to be desired but makes up in economy and ease of adding more power. I would recommend to anyone who doesn't need too much extra space for people because the trunk is a very decent size.

Body style, handling, build quality, and reliability.

A little more power.

The best all around car
By Deborah

1995 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

We purchased this car used for my daughter when it was nearly five years old with 57000 miles. It is now almost 11 years old and has over 100,000 miles. We have never had any problems. We have done the oil changes and scheduled maintenance, but the clutch is original, as are the hoses. Brakes have been redone once and tires and the antenna (electronic one died). But the car continues to get around 30 on the highway, and is fun to drive. It's body is really in good shape, too, although starting to get rust around the back wheel wells. My daughter will keep it now that she is out of college and on her own.

The looks--the car still doesnt look old or out of style. Hatch back with split folding seats holds a lot.

For us older folks, the car is low and difficult to get in and out of.

Love the Car!!
By Don

1995 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

My wife brought this car into the marriage and I absolutely love it. Gets awesome gas mileage and handles great. The only problem I have is that it is very hard to shift if you have both cup holders filled. This is also a CA car so we had to take the AM thing out from the distributor cap as it shorted out and killed the car instantly. No maintenance problems besides this.

Handling - grips the road great at high speeds. Looks - real eye catcher to everyone on the road

Re-location of cup holders

'95 Celica GT Hatch Still Gets 26-30mpg
By M.A.

1995 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

At 213,000, I still have the original transmission in my 95 Toyota Celica GT Hatchback in Baltic Blue. She has a 2.2 liter 16 valve engine and I just now replaced the radiator. I have always used premium unleaded. Mileage increased 5mpg upon moving from CO at 6K feet to near sea level in OR. The hatch is great; fold down the back seat and I can carry a bicycle or other large items in the car. I plan on remodeling the outside very soon, and replacing engine parts as needed, to keep her as long as I can, hopefully to enter her in shows when she is old enough! She is smooth, accelerates nicely, gets out of the way of reckless drivers quickly. Be careful: "Think" to turn right, and she does!

Engine performance/gas mileage. Smooth ride. Great safety features. Great leg room for tall me. Highly responsive.

Get the alloy wheels! Get the CD system/great speakers! Upgrade to a system with MP3 Internal ceiling 'panel' needs to be bonded to the roof better More pieces to keep floor mats in place.