1995 Toyota Celica GT Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Toyota Celica - Consumer Reviews

1995 Celica Consumer Reviews

GT 2.2L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (13 reviews )

Sort Reviews by

Great little Sports Car $30k new.
By jlodestone

1995 Toyota Celica Convertible GT 2dr Convertible

My daughter's car, but I get to maintain it and pay for repairs (we split costs) and drive it some. Not a really fast car, but holds the road really well and starts and runs really well. Mostly it is fun to drive and it gets about 35 mpg doing it.

Favorite Features

Convertible... Fun to take the top down. Mileage is very good. Handling is excellent. Great to look at.

Suggested Improvements

Coffee cup holders are impossible to use. They get in the way of shifting. Has a really hard ride.

Gets better and better
By I love this car

1995 Toyota Celica Convertible GT 2dr Convertible

Simply put, I love this car! I 0nly wish I could find another one. Zippy, 40+ mpg, 5 speed. Needs a new roof, the aforementioned wear spots developed and a new roof is in the future. Handles like a Porsche, looks beautiful and, well, I could go on and on. I'm always on the lookout for another one.

Favorite Features

Beautiful lines, zippy 5 speed, extraordinary gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Some sort of roof realignment to prevent wear spots.Other than that, not a thing. Oh,start making them again!

Ageless Celica
By Jackie

1995 Toyota Celica Convertible GT 2dr Convertible

Bought my car locally as a gift to myself after I retired from law enforcement. Had just under 20,000 miles on it. Right now has about 35,000 miles. Top condition, no dents no dings. It's a summer time fun car up here in North Dakota. Everyone thinks its a new vehicle and surprised learn it's age. Only problem I have had was the ignition contacts. Fixed it and it runs like a charm. No intentions of ever selling it. Four year old great niece named it the Wind Roof!

Favorite Features

Style and fuel economy

Great except for top with age
By scowstern

1995 Toyota Celica Convertible GT 2dr Convertible

This was a very reliable, beautiful, and fun car for the 15 years I owned it. It did develop a slow oil leak, but otherwise was problem free. Except for the convertible top. Over time the Velcro stopped gripping inside, a metal strut snapped, making it very hard to put the top down or back up. The black canvas top looked awful after 10 years, as it got gummy and dirty. It had been replaced at 5 years. The back window finally fell out, and that was the last straw. Aside from the miserable top, and the loud noise inside on the freeway, it was a great car!

Favorite Features

The beauty and reliability.

Suggested Improvements

More durable top, and better sound insulation inside. Mid console with the cup-holders could use some work too.

Love It... Great Bang For Your Buck!
By HENNA

1995 Toyota Celica Convertible GT 2dr Convertible

Bought it in excellent condition with under 100K miles. Customized the interior, radio, rims and tires and you would think I was driving a Maserati. Compliments every time we take it out for a Cruise. Great handle, great gas mileage, great style and it's paid for! Wouldn't trade it for anything. Like it so much may customize it a little further for the complete package...paint, screen behind drivers seats like bmws, porsches etc, auto truck open, and new fixture to hold convertible top cover down a little better. I call it the bat Mobile being that it's satin black! Everyone who has one just loves theirs, great having friends on the road who have something in common. Sweet car!

Favorite Features

A convertible in California, need I say more!

Suggested Improvements

Everything i mentioned above :) it should come with some hot shades.

See one? Buy one!
By Bob Remington

1995 Toyota Celica Convertible GT 2dr Convertible

We bought this car with 80,000 miles. That was in 2000. It is now 2008 and the the car has 164,000 . The only real expense we have put into this car is a new radiator ($130) , New tires, that's it. The top motor fizzed out because someone was hitting the switch while the top was latched, not a good idea. New convertible top motor was $600 per motor and I am currently experiencing a rear window motor problem that is very expensive to fix in the convertible series. Each rear motor is $400 via Toyota new.

Favorite Features

Being a convertible. Handling is way, way sporty. Really reliable car. Supportive seats (leather). Not bad in snow/rain. Nice looking car in white/ black top

Suggested Improvements

1995 convertible made after market in CA. They chopped off the tops. Only 400 made. Some parts are really expensive. $400 for 1 rear window motor and about $600 for 1 top motor. They should have put in a 2.2 Turbo in this model. It would have been lightening fast. Acceleration is acceptable

Great Car!
By Matt

1995 Toyota Celica Convertible GT 2dr Convertible

My fiancee and I found our dream car, a red 1995 Celica convertible with 69,000 miles, garaged all its life. This car was a great deal at just over $7500! A wonderful car. It has a beautiful design that turns heads. People ask if the car is new. The convertible is rare, with just 18,000 made from 1995-99, so is more exclusive than the dime-a-dozen BMW 3-series out there, less pretentious and way more reliable! At twelve years old, the car feels new, the paint's still shiny, the engine runs perfectly, and even the leather's in good shape. We only had to replace a sun visor, the 8" speakers (decomposed surrounds) and a console top, now this seems like a new 12 year old car.

Favorite Features

Power convertible top. Wonderful eight-speaker stereo (after replacing 8" drivers), exhaust note, strong A/C and heat let you keep the top down in cold/hot weather. Plenty of power, and enough space for luggage for a weekend trip for two. This is a great car to take to the beach, mountains, etc.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holder location is awkward, four small wear spots developed on the convertible top. Biggest problem is that this car is not in production so used ones will get harder to find.

Excellent Car for a 10yr old car
By Jay

1995 Toyota Celica Convertible GT 2dr Convertible

Drives like a dream. Excellent cornering ability and literally hugs the road. Suspension and ride are awesome. Gas mileage is 32mpg. Interior and seating is a little crammed.

Favorite Features

Ride, Suspension and fuel economy

Suggested Improvements

More comfortable seats.

Would buy another
By Cat

1995 Toyota Celica Convertible GT 2dr Convertible

The style is best I've seen for less than $100K -- I currently have $175,000 miles on mine and have just started some minor maintenance repairs. Well worth every penny!

Favorite Features

styling & the dashboard faces the driver -- as it should

Suggested Improvements

none

A huge amount of fun for under 10K
By I Lindner

1995 Toyota Celica Convertible GT 2dr Convertible

I wanted to get a fun car for my wife. She had driven a minivan for years.The car was meant to be a fun car that could occasionally take my 3 daughters along to the store. For a fun car it has to have a couple of things performance, great stereo, and handling. This car excels in all categories. I am amazed how much this car likes corners. The suspension is tight with a sport feel. The car shifts smoothly and with the 5 speed accelerates smoothly. It amazing to me that with all this performance it still gets the same gas milleage as my VTX1800 motorcycle. The design is solid and I can't imagine more fun for the money. I almost am reconsidering the motorcycle vs car thing.

Favorite Features

suspension, sound system, performance, back seat. Cruising with the top off is exhilarating.

Suggested Improvements

none