Used 1995 Toyota Celica Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Toyota Celica - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Celica model:

Celica ST 5-Speed
By synthman

1995 Toyota Celica ST 2dr Coupe

I have mixed feelings when it comes to the Celica. Some things I like, others I don't. I guess I'll start with the good: reliable, looks good, handles great, and ok mpg. The bad: rides rough, cramped and uncomfortable interior, and is slow as sin. I'm 5'10" and it feels like I drive a sardine can, absolutely no room. It doesn't help that you feel every dip or rock in the road through your spine. You have to run it at redline if you want to get anywhere anytime soon. Absolutely lackluster straight line performance. Also the cup holder is useless with the 5-speed, since it occupies the area your elbow is when you go to shift. Oh, and there is no aftermarket for this car...at all...

Favorite Features

The styling, exterior and interior. The one good thing about it. Very driver oriented dashboard. Build quality is very good. Car has a very dense feel to it for a car of its size.

Suggested Improvements

Faster or more economical for the kind of car it is. Civic of the same year with the same power and weight gets significantly better fuel economy. Celica gets 29/34 where as the Civic gets 34/40. It's frustrating. The car looks a lot faster than what it is, which brings another slew of problems. Though in fairness the Japanese and European markets got the SS-III and GT-Four.

Great little Sports Car $30k new.
By jlodestone

1995 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Convertible

My daughter's car, but I get to maintain it and pay for repairs (we split costs) and drive it some. Not a really fast car, but holds the road really well and starts and runs really well. Mostly it is fun to drive and it gets about 35 mpg doing it.

Favorite Features

Convertible... Fun to take the top down. Mileage is very good. Handling is excellent. Great to look at.

Suggested Improvements

Coffee cup holders are impossible to use. They get in the way of shifting. Has a really hard ride.

Gets better and better
By I love this car

1995 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Convertible

Simply put, I love this car! I 0nly wish I could find another one. Zippy, 40+ mpg, 5 speed. Needs a new roof, the aforementioned wear spots developed and a new roof is in the future. Handles like a Porsche, looks beautiful and, well, I could go on and on. I'm always on the lookout for another one.

Favorite Features

Beautiful lines, zippy 5 speed, extraordinary gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Some sort of roof realignment to prevent wear spots.Other than that, not a thing. Oh,start making them again!

Ageless Celica
By Jackie

1995 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Convertible

Bought my car locally as a gift to myself after I retired from law enforcement. Had just under 20,000 miles on it. Right now has about 35,000 miles. Top condition, no dents no dings. It's a summer time fun car up here in North Dakota. Everyone thinks its a new vehicle and surprised learn it's age. Only problem I have had was the ignition contacts. Fixed it and it runs like a charm. No intentions of ever selling it. Four year old great niece named it the Wind Roof!

Favorite Features

Style and fuel economy

My little car
By Lauren

1995 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Coupe

I saved my little white Celica from going to the auction lot in 2002 - purchase price $6,300, with 130,000 miles on it. Since then, I've had various things replaced (rear struts, brakes, exhaust [rust from New England], timing belt) all of which I would consider to be normal wear-and-tear. I change the oil religiously. Only recently, upon topping 200,000 miles, has she started to lose her reliability. She is no longer a commuting car, and needs a new radiator and alternator, along with some body work to repair rusted panels - but the frame's still in excellent condition. I'll get a new car, but plan on keeping and maintaining my Celica for weekend drives.

Favorite Features

Interior build quality and design - high quality and tuned to the driver. Exceptional reliability. Snazzy, unique appearance. Seats are comfortable for my 5'3" frame. Trunk engulfs loads if you don't have backseat passengers. Fun fun fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Well, seeing how they don't make them anymore, it doesn't really matter but the cup holders are a little awkward. All in all a perfect little car.