1994 Toyota Celica 2.2L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - 1994 Toyota Celica GT

1994 Toyota Celica Hatchback - Consumer Review

1994 Toyota Celica GT
By Jay on

1994 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback

After living with my Celica for nearly six years, I still enjoy it in my daily commute of almost 75 miles! Highway mileage suffers slightly due to tall gear ratios in the manual transmission, but acceleration never requires a downshift. On the flip side, city MPG is excellent. I bought the car when it was 5 years old, and reliability is typical bullet-proof Toyota. My Celica has never failed to be a delight, whether engaged in heavy traffic or on the open highway. The rear seat is not for large adults, as you'd expect in this class, however the rear hatch and split-folding rear seats offer loads of cargo-hauling flexibilty. I'd strongly recommend the Celica to anyone considering buying one.

Favorite Features

Mid-range torque from the 2.2 liter engine is great slicing through traffic.

Suggested Improvements

The Celica GT has a tightly-tuned suspension, and nicely weighted steering, but for hard-core enthusiasts, the FWD configuration lends to less than ideal weight distribution. For the vast majority of drivers, FWD is safe and secure, but when pressed hard in corners, it's nose-heavy, like any FWD.