Used 1994 Toyota Celica GT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Toyota Celica - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Celica model:

Original owner 13 years and counting
By Proud Original Owner

1994 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback

The car is still beautiful and drives better than many of the new cars I test drive in vain. I know I can't drive this forever, but once you have this car you will see nothing is good enough for you (that you can afford anyway). Still have original exhaust system, it passes emissions every year. All I have done is normal maintenence, and tune ups, except starter was rebuilt in year 10, just $8 in parts - big deal. If you can find one that was maintained like mine, you can't go wrong. A wonderful used car. I keep mine gleaming and it still turns heads after all these years. I won't ever sell it, even though I will buy another new car soon. Now, to find room to store this car...

Favorite Features

Exterior design, reliability, turning circle, and gear ratio.

Suggested Improvements

Radio display was hard to read from day 1- impossible in the bright sunlight. Now that it's old, a little too much road noise, could have more dampening, did they have that in '94?

A great car for me and maybe you too
By RJG

1994 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback

this is a wonderful car, great design, quick enough, handles well, reliable, not too hard to work on and easy to find a place to do work when needed, bigger than it looks. I like this car and plan to keep it for a long long long time since I cannot find anything that matches up with it.

Favorite Features

style, ease of driving.

Suggested Improvements

none

1994 Toyota Celica GT
By Jay

1994 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback

After living with my Celica for nearly six years, I still enjoy it in my daily commute of almost 75 miles! Highway mileage suffers slightly due to tall gear ratios in the manual transmission, but acceleration never requires a downshift. On the flip side, city MPG is excellent. I bought the car when it was 5 years old, and reliability is typical bullet-proof Toyota. My Celica has never failed to be a delight, whether engaged in heavy traffic or on the open highway. The rear seat is not for large adults, as you'd expect in this class, however the rear hatch and split-folding rear seats offer loads of cargo-hauling flexibilty. I'd strongly recommend the Celica to anyone considering buying one.

Favorite Features

Mid-range torque from the 2.2 liter engine is great slicing through traffic.

Suggested Improvements

The Celica GT has a tightly-tuned suspension, and nicely weighted steering, but for hard-core enthusiasts, the FWD configuration lends to less than ideal weight distribution. For the vast majority of drivers, FWD is safe and secure, but when pressed hard in corners, it's nose-heavy, like any FWD.

Best decision I made
By malcominthemiddle

1994 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback

I first bought this car back in the end of 1993. I got the sport package on it which helped the handling alot. When I bought the car it only had four miles on it, now i am at 194,000 miles 10 years later. I have had no problems with the car except for one clutch and a timing belt (thats impressive to my mechanics). The car drives the same way it did when I first rolled her off the lot, I will never sell her. The car isnt as heavy as most people think, lighter than Integra and Prelude. The engine doesnt produce much horsepower but it does give you a kick off the line. To get more power I was thinking about swapping engines from a JDM turbo AWD Celica which

Favorite Features

Styling, Supra resemblence, interior is extremely well designed, very fun to drive, sporty/cool feeling when driving.

Suggested Improvements

A little more horsepower stock or at least some TRD after market parts to improve chances with the competition

Takes a Licking, Keeps on Ticking
By chris001

1994 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback

Unbelievable car. I bought it used with 40,000 miles on it in 2000. I am now over 260,000 miles and the original timing belt finally gave out. Last month I passed NJ emissions inspection with the original exhaust system. I have been in two front end collisions and the car just won't quit.

Favorite Features

great performace with fuel economy. Unbeatable reliability.

Suggested Improvements

better suspension needed.