1993 Toyota Celica Consumer Review: The Best Celica Generation

1993 Toyota Celica - Consumer Review

The Best Celica Generation
By Adam on

1993 Toyota Celica ST 2dr Coupe

I've had my Celica for about 9 years now, and I've driven it across country twice. All the customizations and upgrades I did to the car (including a new fuel injection chip, air intake, and alloy rims) went in perfectly. I haven't had a single unscheduled maintenance or repair in the entire time I've owned the car. My girlfriend has a brand new Yaris, and my 17-year-old Celica still routinely beats her car in gas mileage, usually around 29-31 mpg, which is 2-5 better than the Yaris. Finally, at 17, the car's exterior is starting to show its age with some clear coat peeling and a few dings from use. The interior is aging even slower. Mechanically, it drives like new.

Stable controls and traction; it sticks to the road on the tightest curves. Legendary Toyota reliability and retention of value (at 17 it still has decent trade-in value). Beautiful exterior styling and lines. 5-speed manual is a joy to drive.

The cup holder, on the manual, is in the worst spot in the world, and won't hold anything above a can of soda, and even then, it'll impede shifting. The backseat is largely for show as almost nobody can fit back there comfortably. My only real complaint is that Toyota stopped making Celicas.