Used 1993 Toyota Celica Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Toyota Celica - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Celica model:

Fifth Generation #3...
By Lynnie

1993 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Convertible

The fifth generation Celica is a great car. I just bought my 3rd one, and continue to be thrilled with it. In my work, I drive ~ 30 to 40K miles per year. The Celicas have all been great to drive, reliable, with good mileage and classy looks - especially Gracie, the current one. A white ragtop. Beautiful. Even better is that I've purchased all three used, drove 2 of them past 200K miles (still working on #3), never had a real breakdown - as in stranded on the roadside - and my insurance costs are minimal. What more can a girl ask?

Favorite Features

Solid performance especially steering, power and suspension. Ergonomically perfect for my body size (tiny). EXTREMELY reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Would love to have additional adjustments to the driver seat. Ragtop showing signs of possible leaking -- it's smelling musty. This is my first time with an automatic transmission and believe a manual is much better. Overall, no significant complaints.

1993 Celica GT Coupe with 180K miles
By dominicl

1993 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Coupe

I have owned this car for the last six years. A lot of fun to to drive. Great breaks. The engine is quick of the line but does leave one a little wanting after 5000 RPM. Handles very well too and is extremely durable. At 180,000 miles I am going strong and hope to break 200,000. I would hate to get rid of this car ... there a few good replacements available. Maybe a new Scion tC???

Favorite Features

Driving position, power train, body style, reliability and durability.

Suggested Improvements

The new Celica is nice but not quite what I am looking for. Maybe when my local Scion dealer finally gets a tC in stock I will decide to upgrade.

Mom's car
By Alex123

1993 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Convertible

This is a great car, fun to drive and reliable.

Favorite Features

Nothing like a sunny day with the top down and the stereo cranked!

93 Celica GT
By E7

1993 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Coupe

I bought my GT coupe 2-door, two years ago, but the car was recently totalled. Not a bad car, but I think there are better cars. I always liked the brakes. Interior was pleasing. The seat became uncomfortable before it was totalled(I was rear-ended). I am 6'6 believe it or not. It will fit two adults up front, but can be cramped in the rear.

Favorite Features

Brakes, handling is good(but not excellent). Interior was appealing. Motor is reliable, but not powerful.

Suggested Improvements

The 5SFE is a good motor, but it needed more power and better cruise control. I had a 5-speed manual and at 75-80mph+ it was at 3700-4000 rpms on the highway(not good). That number needed to be lower (around 3k).

Great car, great value
By Poetess

1993 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Convertible

I bought my car used but am only the second owner. I absolutely love my car -- it's fun to drive, and is very reliable. It has good acceleration and handles well. Usually I am the only one in the car, but even when I have two or three people with me, it is still easy to drive. Now that my car is ten years old, some small things have begun to fail, but nothing I can't live with. The engine is still going strong, and in fact I only recently replaced the battery which had been with the car originally. Definitely recommend as a car that's fun and keeps its value.

Favorite Features

It's comfortable, handles easily, and has a great heater - perfect for those cool nights when you still want to drive topless.

Suggested Improvements

It would be nice to put the top up or down while the car is moving instead of getting off the freeway, parking, and then putting the top up or down. The back seat could be a little bigger so that an adult could sit there comfortably.