Used 1992 Toyota Celica Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Toyota Celica - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Celica model:

Great Car
By silent cal

1992 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

I have had this automobile for eight years now, and it is an excellent car. I have had very few mechanical problems with it considering it now is 16 years old with 168 k miles. The major parts on the car are still running strong, even though this automobile was totaled in a flood (I found this out a few years after I bought it) (clutch, starter, radiator, battery, brakes, temperature fan switch, alternator, timing belt have all been replaced over the eight years I have owned it). All the parts replaced well outlived themselves. I feel confident this car could easily go over 250,000 miles with proper maintenance.

Celestial
By Kasey

1992 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

Great car. 30 mpg on the highway and very reliable. Although I haven't owned my car for all that long I've known people that have. It's very sporty looking and a great sound system comes stock with it.

Favorite Features

I love the new curviness of the fifth generation Celica and all of the extras that come with it like the power moonroof, locks, windows and so on.

Suggested Improvements

Although the car looks like it has a lot of power, an improvement that could be made is the engine size. Also little things like the back seat size or the positioning of the cupholders with a stick.

My 92 celica for life
By 1992celicaGTS

1992 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car in 2003 with 117k miles on it. I never really had a major problem on it. I did my usual tune-up and had to repair both cv boots a few weeks ago... that's pretty much it. The performance is awesome considering the price I paid. Plus I install aftermarket air intake, full exhaust, and advanced the timing. The car is quick. It's very reliable considering its built by Toyota and plus it gets good gas mileage. I happy with the car.

Favorite Features

Style, wide tires, cornering, gas mileage, engine quietness, torque pull is strong

Suggested Improvements

A little more horsepower couldn't hurt - instead of 135hp they should up it to 150-160hp considering its power to weight ratio.The cup holder should be situated somewhere else ... it's hard to shift if I have drink in the holder.

Great car. Fun to drive, very reliable
By JohnMarks

1992 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

I have owned this car for 12 years and I have had no major mechanical issues. The air conditioning has started to weaken and the tires are pretty expensive to replace. The car is a bit slow off the line but handles quite well. I have had some success with it on the track due to its handling capabilities.

Favorite Features

Handling, sun roof, gas mileage (30+ on highway, 20-25 city driving)

Suggested Improvements

Speed off the line is slow. Around 10 secs... ouch!

The Greatest Car I Never Wanted
By aviatorboi

1992 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

My parents got me this car as a graduation gift. At first, I really didn't want it, but it has grown on me so much, that I fear I will never get rid of it. This car is just fun to drive. It is VERY solid and is made out of strong metal parts (which accounts for its weight). After 13 years ther are no squeaks or rattles. No doubt the car is sporty, fun and safe. Also I have only ever replaced the Alternator and light bulbs since I have owned it.

Favorite Features

Solid Feel, Good Steering, Auto Temperature Control, Auto Rear Window Defroster, Front Wheel Drive, Audio System (Amazingly premium and tuned for the acoustics of the interior), Sunroof, Low maintennance,

Suggested Improvements

Someone who obviously rode the train to work designed the cup holders - THEY SUCK! Gas Mileage leaves a bit to be desired, but the power gain with the ECT is nice. Seats are uncomfortable, but you get used to them after a few chiropractor visits.