Used 1992 Toyota Celica Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Toyota Celica Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Celica model:

Oh what a feeling
By stereotuber

1992 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car used from original owner. Now has 183k. Repairs have been normal (for a Toyota), far less repair than other cars I have owned. Painting was the biggest cost (or investment). About $7500 plus car rental while painting. It was a Factory Original Standard job- the kind that will last 16 years, like the original paint. Ya get what ya pay for- and it looks like new. Inside is holding up great. I use Armor all regularly for cleaning / protecting. Use Michelin Pilot all season radials, very important. Sold new for 17,500, paid 9,500, 73k mi. in 1997. Replaced clutch & slave, radiator, water pump, A/C converted to new standard, bearings, a few bulbs.

Best feature- has never broken down. Always showed a symptom before failure- unlike my other cars. Love the classic lines. 1992 hatch is my favorite body. Beautiful in black (cuz of the black grill). Handling is awesome (with right tires). Drivers seat and ride is very comfortable on long trips at high speed. Has a sports package- fog lamps, tighter suspension, wider tires, defroster etc. Best cockpit controls I have ever used, period. Cruise control best ever, all at fingertips and tactile. MPG best 29 city, 40 hwy, 38 mountain hwy, All With Cruise On, Premium Gas. Just needs regular maintenance. I love it. Just disengage clutch on snow/ice before braking or you will do 360's.

Add antilock brakes (was optional on some models). Running fog lights. (Note on MPG, I will try regular gas and see what happens). Wish a car like this was still in production!

Great Car
By silent cal

1992 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

I have had this automobile for eight years now, and it is an excellent car. I have had very few mechanical problems with it considering it now is 16 years old with 168 k miles. The major parts on the car are still running strong, even though this automobile was totaled in a flood (I found this out a few years after I bought it) (clutch, starter, radiator, battery, brakes, temperature fan switch, alternator, timing belt have all been replaced over the eight years I have owned it). All the parts replaced well outlived themselves. I feel confident this car could easily go over 250,000 miles with proper maintenance.

Celestial
By Kasey

1992 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

Great car. 30 mpg on the highway and very reliable. Although I haven't owned my car for all that long I've known people that have. It's very sporty looking and a great sound system comes stock with it.

I love the new curviness of the fifth generation Celica and all of the extras that come with it like the power moonroof, locks, windows and so on.

Although the car looks like it has a lot of power, an improvement that could be made is the engine size. Also little things like the back seat size or the positioning of the cupholders with a stick.

My 92 celica for life
By 1992celicaGTS

1992 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car in 2003 with 117k miles on it. I never really had a major problem on it. I did my usual tune-up and had to repair both cv boots a few weeks ago... that's pretty much it. The performance is awesome considering the price I paid. Plus I install aftermarket air intake, full exhaust, and advanced the timing. The car is quick. It's very reliable considering its built by Toyota and plus it gets good gas mileage. I happy with the car.

Style, wide tires, cornering, gas mileage, engine quietness, torque pull is strong

A little more horsepower couldn't hurt - instead of 135hp they should up it to 150-160hp considering its power to weight ratio.The cup holder should be situated somewhere else ... it's hard to shift if I have drink in the holder.

Great car. Fun to drive, very reliable
By JohnMarks

1992 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

I have owned this car for 12 years and I have had no major mechanical issues. The air conditioning has started to weaken and the tires are pretty expensive to replace. The car is a bit slow off the line but handles quite well. I have had some success with it on the track due to its handling capabilities.

Handling, sun roof, gas mileage (30+ on highway, 20-25 city driving)

Speed off the line is slow. Around 10 secs... ouch!