Used 1992 Toyota Celica GT Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Toyota Celica - Consumer Reviews

GT 2.2L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (5 reviews )

Most Helpful|
'92 GT 'vert
By rsd

1992 Toyota Celica Convertible GT 2dr Convertible

Bought my convertible a little over 2 years ago, and it's needed nothing but regular routine maintenance (previous owner took great care of it - front struts, axles, tie rods, brakes were replaced before I bought it, and I don't drive it all that far in daily driving). The convertible is perfect for east Tennessee (south of Knoxville) as I can drop the top about 10 months out of 12. :) The only thing I'm looking at as being a major $$$ project is having the top either repaired or replaced - the car was "converted" in May of '92, and it's the original top... there are a couple of seams where the threads are starting to fray, but no leaks yet, thankfully. Only regret is the automatic tranny.

Favorite Features

Body is gorgeous (Toyota Super White paint holds up well over time), it has 4 wheel disc brakes, and it has an upgraded audio system. My biggest gripe is the auto tranny, but handling is great for a fwd car. One of my favorite things was adding clear turn signal and corner lenses.

Suggested Improvements

The only improvement might be more power (the AllTracs were nice, with the turbo, and awd). And, it's a moot point, beings that the car is 15 years old, and Toyota no longer even produces the Celica line. :(

A great ride
By BillG

1992 Toyota Celica Convertible GT 2dr Convertible

This is a fun, reliable, economical car. It has good performance, excellent braking, handling and outstanding Toyota reliability. I love this car and am planning to keep it forever :) This is my fun car and I keep it in the garage and don't drive it when the weather is bad. It is my baby and I keep it in great shape. A little red convertible.

Favorite Features

The convertible top! Good power and auto trans is smooth as butter. Fuel mileage is fantastic: 28 mixed, 33+ highway.

Suggested Improvements

The downside - AC expansion valve, noisy rear suspension. A little bit of road noise. Trunk hinges are a poor design which end up being replaced, and damaging trunk lid.

No Payments
By Robert Rodriguez

1992 Toyota Celica Convertible GT 2dr Convertible

I am happy with my 1992 Toyota Celica Convertible. The car runs like a champ at 180000 miles with no major problems. In addition, the seats are extremely comfortable when doing long trips.

Favorite Features

My favorite features are great gas millage, handling, body shape, seats, and the automatic retractable lights.

Suggested Improvements

It's a 1992 and the car is discontinued, no complaints here.

drive it till it drops
By jeffbeal

1992 Toyota Celica Convertible GT 2dr Convertible

very reliable, only unexpected probelme was alternator failure at about 75k. some quirky problems, i.e. piston that operates roof sprung a leak. Mostly minor or midde level routine maintenace (replace wheel bearings, muffler, ect) have 196k on car and will drive it till it dies. Take care of car and it takes care of you. Annoying problem is vinyl roof which looses clarity and shape creates real blind spots. PS radio lights failed. to expensive to figure out why

Favorite Features

reliability

Suggested Improvements

rear window visiblity & front window defroster

Me likey....
By whitevert

1992 Toyota Celica Convertible GT 2dr Convertible

Have only owned it for half a year, but car has been great - east tennessee is perfect vert state ;)

Favorite Features

vert top, obviously

Suggested Improvements

The only improvement I would wish for on mine is the 5-speed instead of ECT automatic... but not a biggie, engine is kinda torquey :)