Used 1992 Toyota Celica Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Toyota Celica - Consumer Reviews

1992 Toyota Celica

View reviews for a specific Celica model:

Oh what a feeling
By stereotuber

1992 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car used from original owner. Now has 183k. Repairs have been normal (for a Toyota), far less repair than other cars I have owned. Painting was the biggest cost (or investment). About $7500 plus car rental while painting. It was a Factory Original Standard job- the kind that will last 16 years, like the original paint. Ya get what ya pay for- and it looks like new. Inside is holding up great. I use Armor all regularly for cleaning / protecting. Use Michelin Pilot all season radials, very important. Sold new for 17,500, paid 9,500, 73k mi. in 1997. Replaced clutch & slave, radiator, water pump, A/C converted to new standard, bearings, a few bulbs.

Favorite Features

Best feature- has never broken down. Always showed a symptom before failure- unlike my other cars. Love the classic lines. 1992 hatch is my favorite body. Beautiful in black (cuz of the black grill). Handling is awesome (with right tires). Drivers seat and ride is very comfortable on long trips at high speed. Has a sports package- fog lamps, tighter suspension, wider tires, defroster etc. Best cockpit controls I have ever used, period. Cruise control best ever, all at fingertips and tactile. MPG best 29 city, 40 hwy, 38 mountain hwy, All With Cruise On, Premium Gas. Just needs regular maintenance. I love it. Just disengage clutch on snow/ice before braking or you will do 360's.

Suggested Improvements

Add antilock brakes (was optional on some models). Running fog lights. (Note on MPG, I will try regular gas and see what happens). Wish a car like this was still in production!

Best Car Ever
By Dawn

1992 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Coupe

I've been driving this car for over two years now and it is still going strong with over 291K miles. I probably put in about $500 altogether in repairs within the past two years. It's a VERY reliable car. Just a little slippery in the snow. I would recommend a Toyota to Anyone!

Favorite Features

Reliability, cheap to fix, durability

Great Car
By silent cal

1992 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback

I have had this automobile for eight years now, and it is an excellent car. I have had very few mechanical problems with it considering it now is 16 years old with 168 k miles. The major parts on the car are still running strong, even though this automobile was totaled in a flood (I found this out a few years after I bought it) (clutch, starter, radiator, battery, brakes, temperature fan switch, alternator, timing belt have all been replaced over the eight years I have owned it). All the parts replaced well outlived themselves. I feel confident this car could easily go over 250,000 miles with proper maintenance.

Best little car ever.
By PennyWinkle

1992 Toyota Celica ST 2dr Coupe

Bought this car in 1997 only had it in the shop once for a new timing belt. Over three hundred thousand miles and it still runs great.

Favorite Features

cute and reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holder could have been put somewhere else.

A great ride
By BillG

1992 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Convertible

This is a fun, reliable, economical car. It has good performance, excellent braking, handling and outstanding Toyota reliability. I love this car and am planning to keep it forever :) This is my fun car and I keep it in the garage and don't drive it when the weather is bad. It is my baby and I keep it in great shape. A little red convertible.

Favorite Features

The convertible top! Good power and auto trans is smooth as butter. Fuel mileage is fantastic: 28 mixed, 33+ highway.

Suggested Improvements

The downside - AC expansion valve, noisy rear suspension. A little bit of road noise. Trunk hinges are a poor design which end up being replaced, and damaging trunk lid.