'91 Toyota Celica ST FTW! (For the Win!)
By dattad2 on
1991 Toyota Celica ST 2dr Coupe
This car is just amazing! I recently bought this car two weeks and one day ago and the only things that I found wrong with the car were the trunk hinges (one of them gets stuck, but I barely use the trunk, so . . .), the car is a bit underpowered (I know it's not exactly the highest performance model, but my parent's '01 Toyota Sienna had more power), and the fact that the previous owner broke the cupholder. The car shows no sign of leakage of any fluids. The car had around 182000 miles when we bought it and the engine is in pristine condition. A bit of oil leaks into the engine, which makes white smoke come out for a few minutes, but I'm guessing that it because of the age of the car.
Favorite Features
Trunk Space, Car Design, Fuel Economy, Reliability
Suggested Improvements
Trunk hinges, just a bit more power, and improved cup-holders (this just might be a personal problem, though).
By lovemycelica
on 08/11/12 10:27 AM (PDT)

I bought my '91 Celica new and it now has 160,000+ miles on it. The trunk hinge problem is a design flaw and if you're not careful, the corner will bend up and you'll have to have the lid replaced (I've had to do this...). It's now happening to the second trunk lid. I had the hinges adjusted and they were better, but it still sticks. I have to tell anyone that opens it to lightly bounce it first when opening it -- drives me nuts. And forget the cup holder... LOL! But I am only now just beginning to replace original parts on my 21 year-old-baby (other than things like timing belt and water pump -- maintenance parts, etc.) and people are amazed at this fact (I'm not -- it's a Toyota!). My alternator and muffler were both only just now replaced and my front brakes were replaced once at 60,000 (I downshift) and clutch at 130,000. It has been the best car I've ever owned -- I sold my 1997 BMW 528i rather than get rid of my Celica because it wasn't anywhere near as reliable. I'll drop another engine and/or transmission into it before I'll ever get rid of it...