Used 1991 Toyota Celica GT Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Toyota Celica - Consumer Reviews

1991 Toyota Celica Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Celica model:

cheaper to keep her
By celica91

1991 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

my celica has 170500 on the engine now and keeps on running, it's like the timex watch, she takes a licking and keeps on ticking. parts are cheap and plentiful, I can get all the parts I need to restore the car, it never let down so I am going to restore the car with performance and style.

Favorite Features

I love the body style of the car, the seats are positioned to drive the car. the celica wants to be driven, not just go from point a to point b

Suggested Improvements

I need to upgrade the exuast and struts, I can get all those parts from ebay or andy's auto sport

My Celica GT
By mark

1991 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

I have owned this car for 17 years now. It has been very reliable but I think this car needs a more powerful motor. I have 2.2 liter and engine performance is very weak. It has the 5 speed and it takes about 12 seconds to get up to 60 mph. Gas mileage is only 13 miles city and 15 highway it now has 206,786 miles and it's still running good. I also have a Nissan 240sx 1993 with a 2.4 liter motor and this car makes the Celica look like its standing still.

Favorite Features

Reliable and dependable.

Suggested Improvements

Needs a bigger more powerful motor. Cup holders get in the way when shifting.

Love My Toy
By cathy garrison

1991 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

Have always kept up the mechanical repair of this vehicle since purchase. Used official Toyota dealers for years until, just recently, when I found a local very knowledgeable repair clinic. Have replaced the radiator (with a larger one), water pump, clutch, brakes, radio, egr temp sensor, egr modulator valve, oil pressure switch along with regular oil changes. Had freon added to air conditioner system but only lasted 2 months. Probably need to replace compressor. Oil leak that engine will have to be dropped to fix. Check oil often. Paint fading and peeling very fast lately. Interior wore very well. Looks pretty good if cleaned often. Recommend a Toyota to all. Thank You

Favorite Features

Electric door locks, windows and mirrors. Lumbar seat adjustment. Very few blind spots. Body style. Hatchback feature. Reliability. Sensor lights (also known as idiot lights). Pleasant sounding horn (toot, toot). Driver air bag. Comfort. Gas mileage (25 miles plus). Reliability!!!

Suggested Improvements

Sounds silly, but cup holder much too close to radio and hard to change channels if holder is open. Not too low in found. Have scraped front underside while parking too close to berms or driving through a dip. More leg room on drivers side for taller, larger people.

91 toyota celica
By jv0177

1991 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

this car is a great balance between fuel economy and performance. in these time of rising fuel prices and performance desired this is a perfect fit. I drive it relatively hard and still get 27+ MPG. want to trade it in for a four door corolla or ech, but it has been too good to my wife and I to get rid of it!

Favorite Features

peppy and good on MPG. good interior layout

Suggested Improvements

cupholder placement, and sparkplug wire usability

best car ever
By PARTSGURL

1991 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

we have had this car for just over 5 years now, and with over 700,000km on it still runs like new it's the 2.2 5spd version with the 5sfegt engine in it have heard rumours the 3gte engine is better but this special edition has alot of power. i've never had a problem keeping up to or passing anyone or beating them off the line and it's an old car...

Favorite Features

gas mileage, power and control, exterior styling , it's uncanny ability to take a new car off the line and how pissed off the other driver looks

Suggested Improvements

only one i can think of solid radiator current combination of aluminum/plastic tends to separate where the two diff substance join, have gone through 3 rads in 5 yrs