1991 Toyota Celica Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Celica model:
Old car still running strong
By Nate on 11/23/09 16:31 PM (PST)

1991 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback

I heard that Japanese cars were better than American. Wanting to see for myself, I picked up an old 1991 GT-S with 117k miles. My expectation was a car that kept on going and going with nothing but basic maintenance. 5 years later, it had met my expectations only so-so. Besides normal wear and tear, the alternator, radiator, a/c unit, rack/pinion, both cv halfshafts, cruise control, and the shocks that kept the trunk lid open went bad. Still, the car is now almost 20 years old and still looks good and runs fine. Repairing is cheaper than replacement and I expect to fix it as needed 'till the engine goes, probably another 100k or 2. All in all a solid car.

Sad to see it go.
By Gwen on 06/25/09 00:23 AM (PDT)

1991 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback

Bought the car with 150,000 miles on it, fully expected to see 250,000. It's been driven across the country more times than I can remember. Always fun, fantastic car, super reliable. But for spending its early years in Ohio and now living in super strict smog testing California I would drive it til it wouldn't go anymore. The rust from the east ate through the gas tank and the exhaust system. Such a bummer, I really, really loved this car!

Toyota=Long-Lasting Reliability
By sandieganliz on 06/26/08 10:36 AM (PDT)

1991 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback

I love this sporty car! Since it has manual transmission, it made it more fun to drive--corner the corners and speed away!!! It's a great, small car!

Well pleased
By Nate on 12/09/07 17:05 PM (PST)

1991 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback

This car is now 16 years old. At 175,000 miles, the only money spent on it has been basic maintenance. It's been a dream to own. I'm considering replacing it once I finish my degree, on the other hand, this car has given me no reason whatsoever to have it replaced. What a dilemma! In essence, this car is perfect. Timeless styling, an average of 27 mpg, plenty of oomph zipping around the mountains, and enough space for my snowboard and related stuff in the trunk. It's been a pleasure owning it and I just may decide to keep it untill I can finally afford a... a... a Ferrari.

Excellent
By Richard on 09/07/06 17:53 PM (PDT)

1991 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback

What can I say? This car has outdone itself. It has been in the family since it was bought off of the showroom floor in late 1990. The exterior color is a light silver color that I have not seen on any other early 90s celica gts. If anyone has any info please let me know Ive been trying to find out if it is a standard color or not. my car has 133k miles and purs like a kitten. I have not put much money into repairs at all besides the normal stuff The car drives awesome it doesnt have much power on the highway but starting off its great the handling is impressive it grips the road like a true sports car. even though it is 16 years old, it is still stylish and up to date. this car is great!!!!

Celicas
By TRDfanatic on 02/10/05 01:30 AM (PST)

1991 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback

This car has to be one of the best cars ive driven nice handling..shifting is very easy and smooth .. smooth ride . and looks really sexy !

Original Owner - 13 Years
By bustermarley on 01/30/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback

This car was driven 48,000 miles the first five years I owned it. Then it bacame the second car in the family. It has been the third car since 1999. The Toyota fit and finish has held up very well over the years. It has lived in a garage about half of the years that I've owned it. Mechanically, it was perfect for ten years. At ten years of age, much of the rubber had just rotted. I have replaced numerous gaskets and boots, but all engine, transmission, suspension and exhaust is original and shows no signs of needing replacent. The vehicle looks like a race car, but is really more of a boulevard cruiser than a hot rod.

this car is the mack
By Phil T on 11/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback

I loves my 91 toyota celica GT-S. The car is, strictly speaking, an amazement. 148,000+ miles and very dependable and seems to show now sigs of slowing (and the way others here have described it, it won't). It's fun to drive, but the features just give even more joy. Get one of these if you can.

Get the Feeling!
By Mr. Aynsley on 04/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback

Bought with 196,000 miles, now 210,000. Everyone thinks its a '96. Runs GREAT for the miles. Repairs (since purchased brand new) aside from regular maintnance have totaled less than $5000. CD player, car alarm, sun roof, 180hp engine, a/c, gas mileage. For '91 it is in a class all of its own. I plan on driving this car until the wheels fall off, you can't have it.