Used 1991 Toyota Celica GT-S Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Toyota Celica Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Celica model:

Old car still running strong
By Nate

1991 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback

I heard that Japanese cars were better than American. Wanting to see for myself, I picked up an old 1991 GT-S with 117k miles. My expectation was a car that kept on going and going with nothing but basic maintenance. 5 years later, it had met my expectations only so-so. Besides normal wear and tear, the alternator, radiator, a/c unit, rack/pinion, both cv halfshafts, cruise control, and the shocks that kept the trunk lid open went bad. Still, the car is now almost 20 years old and still looks good and runs fine. Repairing is cheaper than replacement and I expect to fix it as needed 'till the engine goes, probably another 100k or 2. All in all a solid car.

It's a good looking car.

Sad to see it go.
By Gwen

1991 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback

Bought the car with 150,000 miles on it, fully expected to see 250,000. It's been driven across the country more times than I can remember. Always fun, fantastic car, super reliable. But for spending its early years in Ohio and now living in super strict smog testing California I would drive it til it wouldn't go anymore. The rust from the east ate through the gas tank and the exhaust system. Such a bummer, I really, really loved this car!

Other than the weird cupholders, the interior is PERFECT. Everything is in the right spot. Side mirrors? Find another car with ones like the Celica. I love everything about this car.

Cup holders are in a bad spot, it could go faster, but then again couldn't everything? The closest to perfect of any car I've owned.

Toyota=Long-Lasting Reliability
By sandieganliz

1991 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback

I love this sporty car! Since it has manual transmission, it made it more fun to drive--corner the corners and speed away!!! It's a great, small car!

Handles well. Drives fast! Great, fast car! I love Toyota!

Cup holders are too small, but, in 1991, people mostly used soda cans. Size is small, so large people are not suggested. This is a compact, fast car!

Well pleased
By Nate

1991 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback

This car is now 16 years old. At 175,000 miles, the only money spent on it has been basic maintenance. It's been a dream to own. I'm considering replacing it once I finish my degree, on the other hand, this car has given me no reason whatsoever to have it replaced. What a dilemma! In essence, this car is perfect. Timeless styling, an average of 27 mpg, plenty of oomph zipping around the mountains, and enough space for my snowboard and related stuff in the trunk. It's been a pleasure owning it and I just may decide to keep it untill I can finally afford a... a... a Ferrari.

Sunroof, 5spd, hatchback can swallow a ton of stuff, premium gas not necessary, highly adjustable driver seat.

I'm 6ft and that's about the upper limit for this car. My hair clips the ceiling but I still fit well.

Excellent
By Richard

1991 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback

What can I say? This car has outdone itself. It has been in the family since it was bought off of the showroom floor in late 1990. The exterior color is a light silver color that I have not seen on any other early 90s celica gts. If anyone has any info please let me know Ive been trying to find out if it is a standard color or not. my car has 133k miles and purs like a kitten. I have not put much money into repairs at all besides the normal stuff The car drives awesome it doesnt have much power on the highway but starting off its great the handling is impressive it grips the road like a true sports car. even though it is 16 years old, it is still stylish and up to date. this car is great!!!!

handling, looks, tourque, feel (you can feel the road really well, makes u drive more comfortable), color, seats, overall everything

more HP! come on toyota! if you make the alltrac so hard to find, then at least give the gt-s a little more power! its quick but it could be quicker. hard to find performance parts.