1991 Toyota Celica Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Celica model:
cheaper to keep her
By celica91 on 01/27/13 21:33 PM (PST)

1991 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

my celica has 170500 on the engine now and keeps on running, it's like the timex watch, she takes a licking and keeps on ticking. parts are cheap and plentiful, I can get all the parts I need to restore the car, it never let down so I am going to restore the car with performance and style.

All Trac Rarity!
By chewabacha on 06/04/10 11:46 AM (PDT)

1991 Toyota Celica Hatchback All-Trac 2dr Hatchback AWD

Toyota was way ahead of its time when they decided to produce this Rally-Car in the U.S! The options and functions offered in this thing is similar to the options offered in mid 2000's vehicles. This thing was and still is the AWD DSM's worst nightmare. Not only was it equal in performance and upgradability but it was much more solid and reliable in both the Engine and Drivetrain departments. Toyota needs to bring this bad boy back and update it with a bigger turbo and Evo+STI owners will be jumping on the TOYO bandwagon.

Old car still running strong
By Nate on 11/23/09 16:31 PM (PST)

1991 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback

I heard that Japanese cars were better than American. Wanting to see for myself, I picked up an old 1991 GT-S with 117k miles. My expectation was a car that kept on going and going with nothing but basic maintenance. 5 years later, it had met my expectations only so-so. Besides normal wear and tear, the alternator, radiator, a/c unit, rack/pinion, both cv halfshafts, cruise control, and the shocks that kept the trunk lid open went bad. Still, the car is now almost 20 years old and still looks good and runs fine. Repairing is cheaper than replacement and I expect to fix it as needed 'till the engine goes, probably another 100k or 2. All in all a solid car.

Sad to see it go.
By Gwen on 06/25/09 00:23 AM (PDT)

1991 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback

Bought the car with 150,000 miles on it, fully expected to see 250,000. It's been driven across the country more times than I can remember. Always fun, fantastic car, super reliable. But for spending its early years in Ohio and now living in super strict smog testing California I would drive it til it wouldn't go anymore. The rust from the east ate through the gas tank and the exhaust system. Such a bummer, I really, really loved this car!

My Celica GT
By mark on 09/02/08 21:57 PM (PDT)

1991 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

I have owned this car for 17 years now. It has been very reliable but I think this car needs a more powerful motor. I have 2.2 liter and engine performance is very weak. It has the 5 speed and it takes about 12 seconds to get up to 60 mph. Gas mileage is only 13 miles city and 15 highway it now has 206,786 miles and it's still running good. I also have a Nissan 240sx 1993 with a 2.4 liter motor and this car makes the Celica look like its standing still.

Toyota=Long-Lasting Reliability
By sandieganliz on 06/26/08 10:36 AM (PDT)

1991 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback

I love this sporty car! Since it has manual transmission, it made it more fun to drive--corner the corners and speed away!!! It's a great, small car!

Well pleased
By Nate on 12/09/07 17:05 PM (PST)

1991 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback

This car is now 16 years old. At 175,000 miles, the only money spent on it has been basic maintenance. It's been a dream to own. I'm considering replacing it once I finish my degree, on the other hand, this car has given me no reason whatsoever to have it replaced. What a dilemma! In essence, this car is perfect. Timeless styling, an average of 27 mpg, plenty of oomph zipping around the mountains, and enough space for my snowboard and related stuff in the trunk. It's been a pleasure owning it and I just may decide to keep it untill I can finally afford a... a... a Ferrari.

Excellent
By Richard on 09/07/06 17:53 PM (PDT)

1991 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback

What can I say? This car has outdone itself. It has been in the family since it was bought off of the showroom floor in late 1990. The exterior color is a light silver color that I have not seen on any other early 90s celica gts. If anyone has any info please let me know Ive been trying to find out if it is a standard color or not. my car has 133k miles and purs like a kitten. I have not put much money into repairs at all besides the normal stuff The car drives awesome it doesnt have much power on the highway but starting off its great the handling is impressive it grips the road like a true sports car. even though it is 16 years old, it is still stylish and up to date. this car is great!!!!

Love My Toy
By cathy garrison on 04/06/06 20:42 PM (PDT)

1991 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

Have always kept up the mechanical repair of this vehicle since purchase. Used official Toyota dealers for years until, just recently, when I found a local very knowledgeable repair clinic. Have replaced the radiator (with a larger one), water pump, clutch, brakes, radio, egr temp sensor, egr modulator valve, oil pressure switch along with regular oil changes. Had freon added to air conditioner system but only lasted 2 months. Probably need to replace compressor. Oil leak that engine will have to be dropped to fix. Check oil often. Paint fading and peeling very fast lately. Interior wore very well. Looks pretty good if cleaned often. Recommend a Toyota to all. Thank You

91 toyota celica
By jv0177 on 04/09/05 23:41 PM (PDT)

1991 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

this car is a great balance between fuel economy and performance. in these time of rising fuel prices and performance desired this is a perfect fit. I drive it relatively hard and still get 27+ MPG. want to trade it in for a four door corolla or ech, but it has been too good to my wife and I to get rid of it!