Used 1991 Toyota Celica Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Toyota Celica Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Celica model:

cheaper to keep her
By celica91

1991 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

my celica has 170500 on the engine now and keeps on running, it's like the timex watch, she takes a licking and keeps on ticking. parts are cheap and plentiful, I can get all the parts I need to restore the car, it never let down so I am going to restore the car with performance and style.

I love the body style of the car, the seats are positioned to drive the car. the celica wants to be driven, not just go from point a to point b

I need to upgrade the exuast and struts, I can get all those parts from ebay or andy's auto sport

All Trac Rarity!
By chewabacha

1991 Toyota Celica Hatchback All-Trac 2dr Hatchback AWD

Toyota was way ahead of its time when they decided to produce this Rally-Car in the U.S! The options and functions offered in this thing is similar to the options offered in mid 2000's vehicles. This thing was and still is the AWD DSM's worst nightmare. Not only was it equal in performance and upgradability but it was much more solid and reliable in both the Engine and Drivetrain departments. Toyota needs to bring this bad boy back and update it with a bigger turbo and Evo+STI owners will be jumping on the TOYO bandwagon.

Turbo, AWD, good handling, all luxury options as expected for a top of the line vehicle. Spacious trunk and rear fold down seats. Responds well to upgrades. Easy HP to be made.

Top Mount Intercooler is a POS which will cause the car to pull timing in any temps above 80 degrees after only driving for a couple minutes! First thing to do is change to WTA IC or FMIC and you're good to go with no more worries. Other than that everything else is pretty good.

Old car still running strong
By Nate

1991 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback

I heard that Japanese cars were better than American. Wanting to see for myself, I picked up an old 1991 GT-S with 117k miles. My expectation was a car that kept on going and going with nothing but basic maintenance. 5 years later, it had met my expectations only so-so. Besides normal wear and tear, the alternator, radiator, a/c unit, rack/pinion, both cv halfshafts, cruise control, and the shocks that kept the trunk lid open went bad. Still, the car is now almost 20 years old and still looks good and runs fine. Repairing is cheaper than replacement and I expect to fix it as needed 'till the engine goes, probably another 100k or 2. All in all a solid car.

It's a good looking car.

Sad to see it go.
By Gwen

1991 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback

Bought the car with 150,000 miles on it, fully expected to see 250,000. It's been driven across the country more times than I can remember. Always fun, fantastic car, super reliable. But for spending its early years in Ohio and now living in super strict smog testing California I would drive it til it wouldn't go anymore. The rust from the east ate through the gas tank and the exhaust system. Such a bummer, I really, really loved this car!

Other than the weird cupholders, the interior is PERFECT. Everything is in the right spot. Side mirrors? Find another car with ones like the Celica. I love everything about this car.

Cup holders are in a bad spot, it could go faster, but then again couldn't everything? The closest to perfect of any car I've owned.

My Celica GT
By mark

1991 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

I have owned this car for 17 years now. It has been very reliable but I think this car needs a more powerful motor. I have 2.2 liter and engine performance is very weak. It has the 5 speed and it takes about 12 seconds to get up to 60 mph. Gas mileage is only 13 miles city and 15 highway it now has 206,786 miles and it's still running good. I also have a Nissan 240sx 1993 with a 2.4 liter motor and this car makes the Celica look like its standing still.

Reliable and dependable.

Needs a bigger more powerful motor. Cup holders get in the way when shifting.