Used 1991 Toyota Celica Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Toyota Celica - Consumer Reviews

1991 Toyota Celica Coupe

View reviews for a specific Celica model:

'91 Toyota Celica ST FTW! (For the Win!)
By dattad2

1991 Toyota Celica Coupe ST 2dr Coupe

This car is just amazing! I recently bought this car two weeks and one day ago and the only things that I found wrong with the car were the trunk hinges (one of them gets stuck, but I barely use the trunk, so . . .), the car is a bit underpowered (I know it's not exactly the highest performance model, but my parent's '01 Toyota Sienna had more power), and the fact that the previous owner broke the cupholder. The car shows no sign of leakage of any fluids. The car had around 182000 miles when we bought it and the engine is in pristine condition. A bit of oil leaks into the engine, which makes white smoke come out for a few minutes, but I'm guessing that it because of the age of the car.

Favorite Features

Trunk Space, Car Design, Fuel Economy, Reliability

Suggested Improvements

Trunk hinges, just a bit more power, and improved cup-holders (this just might be a personal problem, though).

Fun & reliable, but weak
By jay c

1991 Toyota Celica Coupe ST 2dr Coupe

I bought my ST from a Toyota mechanic who rebuilt the engine at 172k miles. At 231k the engine still runs flawlessly, but peripheral systems are falling like dominoes. It's been a very reliable car until this summer. Corners great although turning radius is a little wide for this size of a vehicle. I love taking 25 mph corners at 55-60 mph! Low power, ~36 mpg.

Favorite Features

Cornering, style, reliability

Suggested Improvements

Make door arm rest and center console the same height. Bucket seats are too narrow, so they're bad for posture.

A Member of the Family at 18 years old
By NoCal

1991 Toyota Celica Coupe ST 2dr Coupe

My wife's new car in 1991. Getting ready for a repaint and some long deferred body work now. Still gets between 28 and 31 mpg. Most problems were caused by lame repair people and living on a country road where everyone else drives 4x4's and trucks. A fun car on country (paved) roads. This car has survived hurricanes, kids, moving 3000 miles, and numerous cars backing into it. About to turn 90000 miles so looking for some more years on this car.

Favorite Features

Sunroof, steering, gas mileage, looks

Suggested Improvements

FE suspension

266,000 miles on original engine.
By 266k

1991 Toyota Celica Coupe ST 2dr Coupe

I put a short ram air on it and am consistently getting 40 mpg in San Jose CA The lowest speed limits here are 40 though so I mostly use 4th or 5th gear. I bought it with 235k on it and have put 30k in the last 2 years driving over a windy mountain highway every day. (highway 17 if you know it.)

Favorite Features

Gas mileage and reliability. This thing is built like a tank. I am constantly revving it up to 6000rpm and it hasn't complained once. I will be buying a 2001 GT-S in the next couple weeks and I just needed to do one last thing for my car.

Suggested Improvements

Short ram intake. You will notice a BIG difference in your low end torque and smoother power through the rpm range.

From Mad Dog of Gahanna
By Keith M Jones

1991 Toyota Celica Coupe ST 2dr Coupe

I bought this car as a baby in December 20 1991 and now with 206,000 miles on it, though it looks rough bodywise, it still runs fine. 1st repair at 130,000. Did not replace the altenator or starter until 195,000. Have had problems with the air due to slow leaks but that is okay. I will drive it til she dies and will probably shed a tear when she does. I also own a 1999 Toyota GT but planning on trading it in soon due to the lack of a new model, not keen on the body shape of the newer models.

Favorite Features

NA

Suggested Improvements

NA