1991 Toyota Celica - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Celica model:
'91 Toyota Celica ST FTW! (For the Win!)
By dattad2 on 08/07/12 09:50 AM (PDT)

1991 Toyota Celica ST 2dr Coupe

This car is just amazing! I recently bought this car two weeks and one day ago and the only things that I found wrong with the car were the trunk hinges (one of them gets stuck, but I barely use the trunk, so . . .), the car is a bit underpowered (I know it's not exactly the highest performance model, but my parent's '01 Toyota Sienna had more power), and the fact that the previous owner broke the cupholder. The car shows no sign of leakage of any fluids. The car had around 182000 miles when we bought it and the engine is in pristine condition. A bit of oil leaks into the engine, which makes white smoke come out for a few minutes, but I'm guessing that it because of the age of the car.

Fun & reliable, but weak
By jay c on 09/29/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Toyota Celica ST 2dr Coupe

I bought my ST from a Toyota mechanic who rebuilt the engine at 172k miles. At 231k the engine still runs flawlessly, but peripheral systems are falling like dominoes. It's been a very reliable car until this summer. Corners great although turning radius is a little wide for this size of a vehicle. I love taking 25 mph corners at 55-60 mph! Low power, ~36 mpg.

A Member of the Family at 18 years old
By NoCal on 06/04/09 11:30 AM (PDT)

1991 Toyota Celica ST 2dr Coupe

My wife's new car in 1991. Getting ready for a repaint and some long deferred body work now. Still gets between 28 and 31 mpg. Most problems were caused by lame repair people and living on a country road where everyone else drives 4x4's and trucks. A fun car on country (paved) roads. This car has survived hurricanes, kids, moving 3000 miles, and numerous cars backing into it. About to turn 90000 miles so looking for some more years on this car.

266,000 miles on original engine.
By 266k on 11/06/08 00:07 AM (PST)

1991 Toyota Celica ST 2dr Coupe

I put a short ram air on it and am consistently getting 40 mpg in San Jose CA The lowest speed limits here are 40 though so I mostly use 4th or 5th gear. I bought it with 235k on it and have put 30k in the last 2 years driving over a windy mountain highway every day. (highway 17 if you know it.)

From Mad Dog of Gahanna
By Keith M Jones on 05/24/07 14:43 PM (PDT)

1991 Toyota Celica ST 2dr Coupe

I bought this car as a baby in December 20 1991 and now with 206,000 miles on it, though it looks rough bodywise, it still runs fine. 1st repair at 130,000. Did not replace the altenator or starter until 195,000. Have had problems with the air due to slow leaks but that is okay. I will drive it til she dies and will probably shed a tear when she does. I also own a 1999 Toyota GT but planning on trading it in soon due to the lack of a new model, not keen on the body shape of the newer models.

Will always buy Toyota
By Adam on 06/15/06 17:18 PM (PDT)

1991 Toyota Celica ST 2dr Coupe

Bought this car without thinking twice with 165000 miles on it and haven't regretted it yet. Now with 212000 miles on it, original motor and transmission, running strong.

Gotta Love Toyotas
By matt campbell on 09/10/05 10:49 AM (PDT)

1991 Toyota Celica ST 2dr Coupe

I recently bought this car with almost 200k miles, it started in Indiana, then made its way to Ohio, Connecticut and now NY. All it needs now is a new exhaust manifold otherwise it runs like new and even for its age it performs amazing. even though its Not a GT when I found this car and test drove it I knew I would be a fool not to but it anyway. If you find a car like this DONT PASS IT UP you'll regret it later.

More HP
By Alex on 08/25/05 17:17 PM (PDT)

1991 Toyota Celica ST 2dr Coupe

I recently purchased this vehicle... it's my first car. I am very happy with most of the qualities of this car except for one. I am really disappointed in the standard engine of this model because of lack of horsepower and torque. I live where I commute across a bridge and go up steep hills and the lack of horsepower and tourque makes me feel like I sometimes won't make it up. I thought about tuning it up but when i realized there was only 103 hp and 102 ft. lbs. of tourque i decided it wasn't worth it. Otherwise this a great car with great gas mielage.

Most RELIABLE car ever!
By Shannon on 12/13/04 22:57 PM (PST)

1991 Toyota Celica ST 2dr Coupe

This car has been with me for almost 12 years. I've kept this car around for a backup for the past 7 years because nothing compairs to its reliability. At 249,000 miles, I've only had to replace the exhaust manifold. My wife and I believe in Toyota cars, I now own a 03 Tacoma Prerunner and she drives an 03 Camery XLE.

Best car I've ever owned
By SunsetSunshine on 09/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Toyota Celica ST 2dr Coupe

Nearly 200K miles and it has never failed me! Never less than 30mpg, often near 40. Handles well and is very comfortable for a sporty car on long trips.