Used 1991 Toyota Celica Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Toyota Celica - Consumer Reviews

1991 Toyota Celica

View reviews for a specific Celica model:

cheaper to keep her
By celica91

1991 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback

my celica has 170500 on the engine now and keeps on running, it's like the timex watch, she takes a licking and keeps on ticking. parts are cheap and plentiful, I can get all the parts I need to restore the car, it never let down so I am going to restore the car with performance and style.

Favorite Features

I love the body style of the car, the seats are positioned to drive the car. the celica wants to be driven, not just go from point a to point b

Suggested Improvements

I need to upgrade the exuast and struts, I can get all those parts from ebay or andy's auto sport

'91 Toyota Celica ST FTW! (For the Win!)
By dattad2

1991 Toyota Celica ST 2dr Coupe

This car is just amazing! I recently bought this car two weeks and one day ago and the only things that I found wrong with the car were the trunk hinges (one of them gets stuck, but I barely use the trunk, so . . .), the car is a bit underpowered (I know it's not exactly the highest performance model, but my parent's '01 Toyota Sienna had more power), and the fact that the previous owner broke the cupholder. The car shows no sign of leakage of any fluids. The car had around 182000 miles when we bought it and the engine is in pristine condition. A bit of oil leaks into the engine, which makes white smoke come out for a few minutes, but I'm guessing that it because of the age of the car.

Favorite Features

Trunk Space, Car Design, Fuel Economy, Reliability

Suggested Improvements

Trunk hinges, just a bit more power, and improved cup-holders (this just might be a personal problem, though).

Fun & reliable, but weak
By jay c

1991 Toyota Celica ST 2dr Coupe

I bought my ST from a Toyota mechanic who rebuilt the engine at 172k miles. At 231k the engine still runs flawlessly, but peripheral systems are falling like dominoes. It's been a very reliable car until this summer. Corners great although turning radius is a little wide for this size of a vehicle. I love taking 25 mph corners at 55-60 mph! Low power, ~36 mpg.

Favorite Features

Cornering, style, reliability

Suggested Improvements

Make door arm rest and center console the same height. Bucket seats are too narrow, so they're bad for posture.

All Trac Rarity!
By chewabacha

1991 Toyota Celica All-Trac 2dr Hatchback AWD

Toyota was way ahead of its time when they decided to produce this Rally-Car in the U.S! The options and functions offered in this thing is similar to the options offered in mid 2000's vehicles. This thing was and still is the AWD DSM's worst nightmare. Not only was it equal in performance and upgradability but it was much more solid and reliable in both the Engine and Drivetrain departments. Toyota needs to bring this bad boy back and update it with a bigger turbo and Evo+STI owners will be jumping on the TOYO bandwagon.

Favorite Features

Turbo, AWD, good handling, all luxury options as expected for a top of the line vehicle. Spacious trunk and rear fold down seats. Responds well to upgrades. Easy HP to be made.

Suggested Improvements

Top Mount Intercooler is a POS which will cause the car to pull timing in any temps above 80 degrees after only driving for a couple minutes! First thing to do is change to WTA IC or FMIC and you're good to go with no more worries. Other than that everything else is pretty good.

Old car still running strong
By Nate

1991 Toyota Celica GT-S 2dr Hatchback

I heard that Japanese cars were better than American. Wanting to see for myself, I picked up an old 1991 GT-S with 117k miles. My expectation was a car that kept on going and going with nothing but basic maintenance. 5 years later, it had met my expectations only so-so. Besides normal wear and tear, the alternator, radiator, a/c unit, rack/pinion, both cv halfshafts, cruise control, and the shocks that kept the trunk lid open went bad. Still, the car is now almost 20 years old and still looks good and runs fine. Repairing is cheaper than replacement and I expect to fix it as needed 'till the engine goes, probably another 100k or 2. All in all a solid car.

Favorite Features

It's a good looking car.