1991 Toyota Celica - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Celica model:
cheaper to keep her
By celica91 on 01/27/13 21:33 PM (PST)

1991 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback

my celica has 170500 on the engine now and keeps on running, it's like the timex watch, she takes a licking and keeps on ticking. parts are cheap and plentiful, I can get all the parts I need to restore the car, it never let down so I am going to restore the car with performance and style.

'91 Toyota Celica ST FTW! (For the Win!)
By dattad2 on 08/07/12 09:50 AM (PDT)

1991 Toyota Celica ST 2dr Coupe

This car is just amazing! I recently bought this car two weeks and one day ago and the only things that I found wrong with the car were the trunk hinges (one of them gets stuck, but I barely use the trunk, so . . .), the car is a bit underpowered (I know it's not exactly the highest performance model, but my parent's '01 Toyota Sienna had more power), and the fact that the previous owner broke the cupholder. The car shows no sign of leakage of any fluids. The car had around 182000 miles when we bought it and the engine is in pristine condition. A bit of oil leaks into the engine, which makes white smoke come out for a few minutes, but I'm guessing that it because of the age of the car.

Fun & reliable, but weak
By jay c on 09/29/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Toyota Celica ST 2dr Coupe

I bought my ST from a Toyota mechanic who rebuilt the engine at 172k miles. At 231k the engine still runs flawlessly, but peripheral systems are falling like dominoes. It's been a very reliable car until this summer. Corners great although turning radius is a little wide for this size of a vehicle. I love taking 25 mph corners at 55-60 mph! Low power, ~36 mpg.

All Trac Rarity!
By chewabacha on 06/04/10 11:46 AM (PDT)

1991 Toyota Celica All-Trac 2dr Hatchback AWD

Toyota was way ahead of its time when they decided to produce this Rally-Car in the U.S! The options and functions offered in this thing is similar to the options offered in mid 2000's vehicles. This thing was and still is the AWD DSM's worst nightmare. Not only was it equal in performance and upgradability but it was much more solid and reliable in both the Engine and Drivetrain departments. Toyota needs to bring this bad boy back and update it with a bigger turbo and Evo+STI owners will be jumping on the TOYO bandwagon.

Old car still running strong
By Nate on 11/23/09 16:31 PM (PST)

1991 Toyota Celica GT-S 2dr Hatchback

I heard that Japanese cars were better than American. Wanting to see for myself, I picked up an old 1991 GT-S with 117k miles. My expectation was a car that kept on going and going with nothing but basic maintenance. 5 years later, it had met my expectations only so-so. Besides normal wear and tear, the alternator, radiator, a/c unit, rack/pinion, both cv halfshafts, cruise control, and the shocks that kept the trunk lid open went bad. Still, the car is now almost 20 years old and still looks good and runs fine. Repairing is cheaper than replacement and I expect to fix it as needed 'till the engine goes, probably another 100k or 2. All in all a solid car.

Sad to see it go.
By Gwen on 06/25/09 00:23 AM (PDT)

1991 Toyota Celica GT-S 2dr Hatchback

Bought the car with 150,000 miles on it, fully expected to see 250,000. It's been driven across the country more times than I can remember. Always fun, fantastic car, super reliable. But for spending its early years in Ohio and now living in super strict smog testing California I would drive it til it wouldn't go anymore. The rust from the east ate through the gas tank and the exhaust system. Such a bummer, I really, really loved this car!

A Member of the Family at 18 years old
By NoCal on 06/04/09 11:30 AM (PDT)

1991 Toyota Celica ST 2dr Coupe

My wife's new car in 1991. Getting ready for a repaint and some long deferred body work now. Still gets between 28 and 31 mpg. Most problems were caused by lame repair people and living on a country road where everyone else drives 4x4's and trucks. A fun car on country (paved) roads. This car has survived hurricanes, kids, moving 3000 miles, and numerous cars backing into it. About to turn 90000 miles so looking for some more years on this car.

266,000 miles on original engine.
By 266k on 11/06/08 00:07 AM (PST)

1991 Toyota Celica ST 2dr Coupe

I put a short ram air on it and am consistently getting 40 mpg in San Jose CA The lowest speed limits here are 40 though so I mostly use 4th or 5th gear. I bought it with 235k on it and have put 30k in the last 2 years driving over a windy mountain highway every day. (highway 17 if you know it.)

My Celica GT
By mark on 09/02/08 21:57 PM (PDT)

1991 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback

I have owned this car for 17 years now. It has been very reliable but I think this car needs a more powerful motor. I have 2.2 liter and engine performance is very weak. It has the 5 speed and it takes about 12 seconds to get up to 60 mph. Gas mileage is only 13 miles city and 15 highway it now has 206,786 miles and it's still running good. I also have a Nissan 240sx 1993 with a 2.4 liter motor and this car makes the Celica look like its standing still.

Love the car but what's up with clutch?
By kate on 08/08/08 20:48 PM (PDT)

1991 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Convertible

I love this car. Very sporty, handles great, very fun to drive. BUT, at 109000 miles, it needs its 4th clutch! I bought at 65000 miles; it was on its 2nd clutch and needed one. My mechanic says it's slipping again! This is my 6th stick shift car, including a 1985 celica, & I don't think it's me. AC was gone before 65000 miles. Otherwise normal wear/tear stuff although not quite the tank the 85 was.