Used 1990 Toyota Celica GT-S Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Toyota Celica Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Celica model:

The little 2.2 that could
By willgts1990

1990 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback

So, I got my 1990 celica hatch gt-s as pretty much my first car. I bought it with about 160,000 on it and let me tell you, It was very obvious the prior owner beat the tar out of the poor thing. It had been in a bad accident and was wayy over due for a full tune up and some additional TLC. Luckily after doing a tune up, the thing ran like a top and has ever since with now with having about 100,000 more on it. I cant stand when people say it doesn't have enough power. IT WASN'T SUPPOSED TO! That's why toyota split the once joined name celica and supra. Supra was supposed to lead the perfomance while celica was supposed to be the fun to drive sports car with a gas saver camry engine!

I gotta say I love the ahead of its time design and interior comfort. Driving wise, again no its not the most powerful, but you sure feel like your going pretty fast, especially once you hit 4 grand on the rpm gauge. It is such a bang for your buck. THat 5s-fe engine (2.2 liter) is the orignal engine in it with 260,000 and only had to replace a couple of gaskets but no major work has had to be done. I highly recommend getting this car if you want a first car, or summer car, or if you want the power, get the turbo charged all wheel drive All-Trac! :)

Not much to critique.. The shifter for the manual trans is a little too long, could of used a bit bigger sway bar front and rear, body roll being the issue on tighter corners. Other than that super awesome car!!!!!

219,000 and still going!!
By K. Chittum

1990 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback

Bought my Celica GTS 5 spd brand new. Going on my 19th year. This vehicle I think will run forever. Oil changes every 3,000 miles. The paint has just started to fade but no rust at all. No problems with mechanics, replaced usual things ie: alternator, battery, timing belt, power steering hose etc. Believe it or not this car still has the original clutch!! Love it and would buy another one.

Handling, gas mileage, body style is cool.

Back seat is for midgets.

Not too shabby
By ItzTou

1990 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback

This is the second one I've owned, both GTS. I orginally wanted to buy an All-Trac as my second one but ended up being desperate for a car and ended up with a GTS again. Bad mistake I should have just waited. The car's design and overall look is fabulous! Waaay ahead of any 1990 built subcompact car. But it is far behind in the performance ponies (130HP 5sfe) For being a sport compact car, the car should have came with the 3SGE 160HP engine instead of the 5SFE. Handling is good but not awesome, reliablity is good, and gas mileage is fair (65-75 mph 3,500 - 4,000 RPM). But overall not too shabby. Great car to start your kids off with!

Three things: more power, better mileage, stronger transmission.

1990 Toyota Celica
By 90celicagts

1990 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback

The 1990 Celica GT-S is fairly fun to drive. The instruments and dashboard were nicely designed as it makes you feel very comfortable being in. The only downside to the car is the fact that the US DOT, instead of giving the GTS the power it should have had for a sports car, gave it only 130 HP using the same engine as the Camry. Unlike in Japan and other countries the GTS also known as the GT-I(R) had 160HP. Other than that everything else of the car is fine. On another note if you are looking to increase power out of the 5SFE engine in the GTS you wont find any parts for the GTS, although the GT does use the 5SFE as well the GT and CAMRY has more parts than the GTS.

My favorite feature of the car is the EXTERIOR design and Interior design. Toyota did an excellent job of designing both the inside and outside of the car as it keeps making you look at the car and say "wow nice car!"

As I stated earlier we all expect more power out of a sport car. With only 130HP and 140LBS of Torque the car can't even compete with 1990 Nissan 240SX 140HP 152LBS Torque with about the same power band. As I said earlier a sports car desevers more POWER.

Celica Review
By JeffPe

1990 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback

Great reliable car. 14 years old and still rust-free!!!

Body style, Reliable, Good miliege.

A/C, More power, alternator.