Used 1990 Toyota Celica GT Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Toyota Celica - Consumer Reviews

1990 Toyota Celica Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Celica model:

Great car, MUST be patient.
By puffin74

1990 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

So, I bought mine around my 16th birthday, and it needed some work. Previous owner was a college kid, so you could imagine it could have been better off. But anyways, when we got it the owner told us it would need new suspension, which became very obvious as it rocked back and forth, and a new intake, and the AC didn't really work. After putting around $500 into it and working from home, we broke the trans axle, once that was fixed it was up and running, with an oil leak, refilled the oil and the leak has just vanished, then yesterday, going into 5th gear it just shut off, it needs a new Distributor cap and rotor, then plugs and wires. I love the car, but you really need to love yours too.

Favorite Features

The car handles like a champ. I don't think i'll ever drive another FF car that handles as well as the Celica, it goes exactly where you put it, no questions asked, also the driver and passenger seats (once you're in them) are very comfortable. And to add on that the acceleration is staggering. I've yet to actually time the 0-60, but it would annihilate any little stock V-tec honda.

Suggested Improvements

Experienced a lot of electrical problems, such as the dome light, which has never worked since I've had it, along with the electric door locks, and the driver window button takes some serious force, also the hand brake hits the center console before it's up all the way, these are little things that don't really change how I feel about the car, but they are quite obnoxious.

Hawaiian Celica
By franlum

1990 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

Got this from a private owner that said the car was in tiptop shape. However, buyer beware as the clutch had to be changed, not adjusted, as the seller claimed. New clutch at 133k. Power steering hoses were shot too, so we changed those. Heater hose started to leak so we removed them. Replaced the sparkplug wires, sparkplugs, distributor cap & rotor, with original Toyota parts, at 145k. Put 92 Octane Chevron with its patented cleaner & the car runs like a top. Got other fluid leaks we need to fix, but the shop wanted $1,600 for it. Need to check the brakes pads too. Right now, it's go, go, go around our little island.

Favorite Features

Driving a 5 speed is fun as the engine revs up quickly.

Suggested Improvements

So far, parts haven't been a problem, but we haven't tried to replace the broken windshield washer holder, or the burnt fuse box cover.

Fun Car
By Phil

1990 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

This is an excellent car by Toyota. I was impressed with the style for the age. I also appreciate the great interior design which is comfortable, practical, and quite stylish. Furthermore the car drives good, and is always exciting to step into.

Favorite Features

Love the pop up lights and hatchback capacity.

Suggested Improvements

My clutch went out at 187k which is pretty high miles and can be expected. Maybe slightly more power would also be appreciated. Stronger frame would be nice since mine rusted out and is starting to bend.

Great little car
By Cavan.B

1990 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

A fun car that is extremely reliable. Only had to replace power steering hose (a common problem, apparently). It is fun to drive, but not a burner. Very manuverable and quick; fits in tight places. The overall design is ahead of its time, especially the interior with the climate controls on the instrument hood. The space is tight but comfortable, and the hatch has a lot of room.

Favorite Features

Design, fun to drive, and reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Better mileage (needs a sixth gear or taller gearbox), back seats are useless unless you're 4 feet with no legs, and the cupholders suck.

Fabulous Car
By P.L.

1990 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

I don't want to give this car up...I have loved driving it since the 1st day I bought it. It has always been reliable, very few repairs which were minor things. I plan to purchase 2003 and pass this 1990 model to someone who will continue driving it. This car was not styled for rear seat passenger comfort....very hard to exit back seat.

Favorite Features

Comfort, style and reliability. Easy to drive and park in small places.