Used 1990 Toyota Celica Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Toyota Celica Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Celica model:

Great car, MUST be patient.
By puffin74

1990 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

So, I bought mine around my 16th birthday, and it needed some work. Previous owner was a college kid, so you could imagine it could have been better off. But anyways, when we got it the owner told us it would need new suspension, which became very obvious as it rocked back and forth, and a new intake, and the AC didn't really work. After putting around $500 into it and working from home, we broke the trans axle, once that was fixed it was up and running, with an oil leak, refilled the oil and the leak has just vanished, then yesterday, going into 5th gear it just shut off, it needs a new Distributor cap and rotor, then plugs and wires. I love the car, but you really need to love yours too.

The car handles like a champ. I don't think i'll ever drive another FF car that handles as well as the Celica, it goes exactly where you put it, no questions asked, also the driver and passenger seats (once you're in them) are very comfortable. And to add on that the acceleration is staggering. I've yet to actually time the 0-60, but it would annihilate any little stock V-tec honda.

Experienced a lot of electrical problems, such as the dome light, which has never worked since I've had it, along with the electric door locks, and the driver window button takes some serious force, also the hand brake hits the center console before it's up all the way, these are little things that don't really change how I feel about the car, but they are quite obnoxious.

The little 2.2 that could
By willgts1990

1990 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback

So, I got my 1990 celica hatch gt-s as pretty much my first car. I bought it with about 160,000 on it and let me tell you, It was very obvious the prior owner beat the tar out of the poor thing. It had been in a bad accident and was wayy over due for a full tune up and some additional TLC. Luckily after doing a tune up, the thing ran like a top and has ever since with now with having about 100,000 more on it. I cant stand when people say it doesn't have enough power. IT WASN'T SUPPOSED TO! That's why toyota split the once joined name celica and supra. Supra was supposed to lead the perfomance while celica was supposed to be the fun to drive sports car with a gas saver camry engine!

I gotta say I love the ahead of its time design and interior comfort. Driving wise, again no its not the most powerful, but you sure feel like your going pretty fast, especially once you hit 4 grand on the rpm gauge. It is such a bang for your buck. THat 5s-fe engine (2.2 liter) is the orignal engine in it with 260,000 and only had to replace a couple of gaskets but no major work has had to be done. I highly recommend getting this car if you want a first car, or summer car, or if you want the power, get the turbo charged all wheel drive All-Trac! :)

Not much to critique.. The shifter for the manual trans is a little too long, could of used a bit bigger sway bar front and rear, body roll being the issue on tighter corners. Other than that super awesome car!!!!!

yayyy
By sss

1990 Toyota Celica Hatchback All-Trac 2dr Hatchback AWD

I love Celica 5th gen so much! This is my dream car since I was in primary school (2000)! This is my first car in grand turismo 2 at that time. Finally I can own one of it! Long live celica 5th gen!

Turbo, awd, hood model

cup holder place is not comfort for gear 3

219,000 and still going!!
By K. Chittum

1990 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback

Bought my Celica GTS 5 spd brand new. Going on my 19th year. This vehicle I think will run forever. Oil changes every 3,000 miles. The paint has just started to fade but no rust at all. No problems with mechanics, replaced usual things ie: alternator, battery, timing belt, power steering hose etc. Believe it or not this car still has the original clutch!! Love it and would buy another one.

Handling, gas mileage, body style is cool.

Back seat is for midgets.

Hawaiian Celica
By franlum

1990 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

Got this from a private owner that said the car was in tiptop shape. However, buyer beware as the clutch had to be changed, not adjusted, as the seller claimed. New clutch at 133k. Power steering hoses were shot too, so we changed those. Heater hose started to leak so we removed them. Replaced the sparkplug wires, sparkplugs, distributor cap & rotor, with original Toyota parts, at 145k. Put 92 Octane Chevron with its patented cleaner & the car runs like a top. Got other fluid leaks we need to fix, but the shop wanted $1,600 for it. Need to check the brakes pads too. Right now, it's go, go, go around our little island.

Driving a 5 speed is fun as the engine revs up quickly.

So far, parts haven't been a problem, but we haven't tried to replace the broken windshield washer holder, or the burnt fuse box cover.