Used 1990 Toyota Celica GT Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Toyota Celica Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Celica model:

Best car I've ever owned.
By m8x425

1990 Toyota Celica Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

I have put over 100k miles on my Celica, it now has 220/k miles. This is the most durable car I've ever owned, an absolute value. The engine is showing little signs of being tired. I'm still getting 32 mpg highway if not more. I was an American car nut until I did some research on cheap used cars. This Celica had very little wear and was a good price. I can't believe I bought a car for $3k, that I've driven for over 100k miles. If you can buy a 1990-98 Celica w/ around 100k miles, that's in good shape for $3k, do it. You can probably get 150k miles out of the car.

The 2.2L auto Celica is pretty powerful for a 4cyl. I don't have too much trouble passing cars, unless the person steps on the gas. Going up hills isn't too bad. The car does okay in the snow if you have studded tires. It does well around curves. It's a very good highway car.

The car had trouble with the MAP sensor. If you have a sensor problem with this car, take it to a Toyota dealership. Do not take it to a gas station mechanic. The A/C in my Celica has never worked.

Mucho FUN!!
By CrazyCatChick

1990 Toyota Celica Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

I just purchased this car 2 days ago, and I adore it! I have wanted this car since they first came out in 1990, but stuck with SUV types instead. The one I bought is loaded with miles, but you would never know it to look at it, or drive. I drove 600 miles from where I purchased it, and it handled beautifully. Great mileage, super handling, and still gets looks on the road :) This is going to be a great second car, even though I just bought a new Hummer H3. Don't know which vehicle I'm more excited with! lol

Exterior is such that, even though it is 15 years old, it looks like it could be a car that might be an '03 - '05. Very, very trendy style, that doesn't seem to want to go out of style. Interior is well designed for a 90's style.

Cupholder. Bad placement. Other than that, and my only having had it for 2 days, that's it!!

Fun and Reliable
By TRX

1990 Toyota Celica Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

I've had this car for the past 4 years and it's been a great car. I've only had to repair 3 things on this car (alternator, starter, and power steering hose). I've always had fun driving this car. With decent tires it handles and rides great for it's age. It doesn't have true sports car performance but plenty of power for most people. I liked the car so much I bought a '02 Celica GT-S.

The interior styling and quality is top notch. Some things are better than my '02 Celica. It looks great for it's age, doesn't have the old car look. Also rides and handles well (seats are more confortable than new Celica's).

Too late to imporove anything now.

Love it love it love it
By Maya356

1990 Toyota Celica Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

This is my first car and I bought it after it was already 13 years old and had 107000 miles. Everyone is jealous of what good condition it is in, considering its age and the price I got it for. Also my first stick shift, but you need a standard transmission to make full use of this car, which loves to go fast. The gears are very versatile- I abused this thing while learning, but it was very good to me. It'll start out of third with barely a hesitation if you accidentally tell it to.

I love that it has so much power; the engine is huge. The inside is comfortable, although it might not be for anyone who isn't as short as I am. Gas mileage is EXCELLENT, and I also like the swoopy design and flip-up lights- this car definitely wants to be Knight Rider.

It's a little loud, although that might only be mine. Also, the AC doesn't work and apparently never really has.

Fun and Reliable
By DO2

1990 Toyota Celica Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

I know Toyota stands for reliable, but I didnt know it's going to be this good. Bought my celica in 1998 when I was still in college. Besides changing the brake pads, I never have any problems with it. Not a single time it died on me. Everything works just the same as the day I bought this car. Fun to drive and has great mileage. And surprisingly quite fast. Now I've been working for 3 years and thinking of buying a new car. I dont know if I will have the kind of luxury my celica has been giving me. Luxury of just spending not more than $100 a year for its maintenance.

Exterior far ahead beyond its time. Nice interior. Reliable reliable reliable

None.