1990 Toyota Celica - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Celica model:
Great car, MUST be patient.
By puffin74 on 08/25/14 08:19 AM (PDT)

1990 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback

So, I bought mine around my 16th birthday, and it needed some work. Previous owner was a college kid, so you could imagine it could have been better off. But anyways, when we got it the owner told us it would need new suspension, which became very obvious as it rocked back and forth, and a new intake, and the AC didn't really work. After putting around $500 into it and working from home, we broke the trans axle, once that was fixed it was up and running, with an oil leak, refilled the oil and the leak has just vanished, then yesterday, going into 5th gear it just shut off, it needs a new Distributor cap and rotor, then plugs and wires. I love the car, but you really need to love yours too.

The little 2.2 that could
By willgts1990 on 02/13/13 19:14 PM (PST)

1990 Toyota Celica GT-S 2dr Hatchback

So, I got my 1990 celica hatch gt-s as pretty much my first car. I bought it with about 160,000 on it and let me tell you, It was very obvious the prior owner beat the tar out of the poor thing. It had been in a bad accident and was wayy over due for a full tune up and some additional TLC. Luckily after doing a tune up, the thing ran like a top and has ever since with now with having about 100,000 more on it. I cant stand when people say it doesn't have enough power. IT WASN'T SUPPOSED TO! That's why toyota split the once joined name celica and supra. Supra was supposed to lead the perfomance while celica was supposed to be the fun to drive sports car with a gas saver camry engine!

yayyy
By sss on 06/18/10 05:47 AM (PDT)

1990 Toyota Celica All-Trac 2dr Hatchback AWD

I love Celica 5th gen so much! This is my dream car since I was in primary school (2000)! This is my first car in grand turismo 2 at that time. Finally I can own one of it! Long live celica 5th gen!

219,000 and still going!!
By K. Chittum on 02/04/09 07:49 AM (PST)

1990 Toyota Celica GT-S 2dr Hatchback

Bought my Celica GTS 5 spd brand new. Going on my 19th year. This vehicle I think will run forever. Oil changes every 3,000 miles. The paint has just started to fade but no rust at all. No problems with mechanics, replaced usual things ie: alternator, battery, timing belt, power steering hose etc. Believe it or not this car still has the original clutch!! Love it and would buy another one.

Hawaiian Celica
By franlum on 08/04/08 15:26 PM (PDT)

1990 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback

Got this from a private owner that said the car was in tiptop shape. However, buyer beware as the clutch had to be changed, not adjusted, as the seller claimed. New clutch at 133k. Power steering hoses were shot too, so we changed those. Heater hose started to leak so we removed them. Replaced the sparkplug wires, sparkplugs, distributor cap & rotor, with original Toyota parts, at 145k. Put 92 Octane Chevron with its patented cleaner & the car runs like a top. Got other fluid leaks we need to fix, but the shop wanted $1,600 for it. Need to check the brakes pads too. Right now, it's go, go, go around our little island.

Peppy and good mpg
By Firefighterjake on 11/06/07 08:19 AM (PST)

1990 Toyota Celica ST 2dr Coupe

Way back when I was looking for a commuter car I wanted something good on gas, but also fun to drive to make my long commute to and from work a little more pleasurable. In the end I bought a base ST with 76,000 or so miles and I continued to drive it until just recently when the harsh Maine winters and road salt finally made me realize that after umpteen numbers of years and over 100,000 miles (180K on the odometer) it was time to get something new. I can't complain though -- for the money I ended up with a fun, peppy car that even today looks good even 18 years old.

Not too shabby
By ItzTou on 07/19/07 09:09 AM (PDT)

1990 Toyota Celica GT-S 2dr Hatchback

This is the second one I've owned, both GTS. I orginally wanted to buy an All-Trac as my second one but ended up being desperate for a car and ended up with a GTS again. Bad mistake I should have just waited. The car's design and overall look is fabulous! Waaay ahead of any 1990 built subcompact car. But it is far behind in the performance ponies (130HP 5sfe) For being a sport compact car, the car should have came with the 3SGE 160HP engine instead of the 5SFE. Handling is good but not awesome, reliablity is good, and gas mileage is fair (65-75 mph 3,500 - 4,000 RPM). But overall not too shabby. Great car to start your kids off with!

Best car I've ever owned.
By m8x425 on 06/06/07 21:04 PM (PDT)

1990 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Coupe

I have put over 100k miles on my Celica, it now has 220/k miles. This is the most durable car I've ever owned, an absolute value. The engine is showing little signs of being tired. I'm still getting 32 mpg highway if not more. I was an American car nut until I did some research on cheap used cars. This Celica had very little wear and was a good price. I can't believe I bought a car for $3k, that I've driven for over 100k miles. If you can buy a 1990-98 Celica w/ around 100k miles, that's in good shape for $3k, do it. You can probably get 150k miles out of the car.

Fun Car
By Phil on 10/19/06 18:36 PM (PDT)

1990 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback

This is an excellent car by Toyota. I was impressed with the style for the age. I also appreciate the great interior design which is comfortable, practical, and quite stylish. Furthermore the car drives good, and is always exciting to step into.

BUY ONE
By RREBER on 08/19/06 13:08 PM (PDT)

1990 Toyota Celica ST 2dr Coupe

307,000 miles still running strong. Replaced alternator, needs starter trunk work otherwise, no issue. BUY ONE OF THESE in good shape and you will not be disappointed.