2014 Toyota Camry Consumer Review: Good, Solid, Reliable Vehicle

2014 Toyota Camry - Consumer Review

SE Sedan (2.5L 4-cyl. 6-speed Automatic w/Prod. End 11/13)

Good, Solid, Reliable Vehicle
By rickyb3 on

2014 Toyota Camry SE 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 11/13 (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

This is a significant update since the first review I posted on this car. I wasn't very impressed in the beginning with the overly firm ride of the SE and the gas mileage was horrible. A service manager at the Toyota dealership told me it would be 20,000 KM before the gas mileage would improve and at the time the vehicle was using 13.5L/100K. I was forced to file a complaint about that to Toyota and learned that the dealer was providing me with false information. Toyota assured me the gas mileage would improve at around 6,000 km, which is the point at which the cars are tested in setting the mileage guidelines. Toyota's information turned out to be correct and the mileage did improve as stated, so much in fact that it gave us 6.7km/100k on a long trip last summer, which is next to unbelievable for a vehicle this size. We couldn't be happier about this result.

The gas mileage issue aside, this has proven to be a good, reliable car that is a pleasure to drive. I have either become used to the firmness of the ride or the suspension has loosened up a bit or both, however it is not as much an issue as it used to be. The car has more than enough power, especially for a 4 cylinder, very good steering and brakes and provides enough comfort for long hauls. There hasn't been an unscheduled service yet up to the 30,000 km mark so we are well satisfied with the quality and reliability, and of course the resale value is very good.

We look forward to driving this car for many years to come.

• Fuel economy
  • Resale value
  • Maintenance cost

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review
By mred72
on 02/02/14 07:50 AM (PST)

2014.5 models have been modified to pass IIHS tests. I suggest you Google it.

By foxcraft
on 06/22/14 01:11 AM (PDT)

You bought a Toyota Camry and you expected something different than boring? I bought a used Acura RSX type S for less money. It's not boring, gets decent mpg for a sports car and is just as reliable if not more so.

By klotzy
on 02/16/14 10:42 AM (PST)

I think most people slightly aware of cars know what they're getting into with a Camry, so I don't see the point of emphasizing a 'lack of personality.' A proper test drive should bear this out enough to make a buying decision. And I call BS the steering on the SE feels like a 'big boat'. Seriously? I came from a high-perfomance German car to this (for work daily driver that I didn't have to worry about). It is not perfect, but definitely not floaty. Decently tight on-center during cruising.