2013 Toyota Camry Consumer Review: unsafe car

2013 Toyota Camry - Consumer Review

2013 Toyota Camry

LE Sedan (2.5L 4-cyl. 6-speed Automatic)

3 of 155,659 people found this review helpful
unsafe car
By miriamg on

2013 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased a brand new 2013 Toyota Camry 2 months ago. The car keeps stalling out even while driving on a highway. I have almost been involved in a serious accident as a result. Toyota can't seem to get to the bottom of this matter. In the interim I am very frustrated as I am getting the run around between the manufacturer and the dealer. I plan on pursuing NJ Lemon Law in attempt to have my car replaced.

After pursuing Lemon law and having my car inspected by a Toyota Corporate mechanic I was told that the issue is due to a faulty design in the fuel tank. When my car is parked even on a slight incline (in my driveway) with a full tank of gas, gas will leak out and compromise the charcoal canister. When the onboard computer system senses that there is a issue with the fuel system, it is designed to automatically shut the car as a safety precaution "even while the vehicle is in motion". Toyota then advised me not to fill my tank more then half until a solution to this problem is remedied. I was told that all 2012, 2013 and 2014 Toyota Camry's (along with some other Toyota models) have the same faulty design in the tank. As such, getting me into another 2013 or 2014 vehicle would not solve the problem. My claim was therefore denied. I am currently eagerly waiting for a class action suit against Toyota.

I have since gotten rid of my Camry and purchased a 2014 Honda Accord. As miserable as I was with the Camry, that's how much I am truly loving my Accord! My negative experience with Toyota has and continues to spread and have an impact. I have since convinced many coworkers, friends and family members (many who have been long time loyal Toyota customers) to switch over to the new Honda Accord. They too all seem "thrilled" with their Accord. The overall feedback I get is that the car is a much smoother drive, hugs the road much better specifically in inclement weather conditions. The also enjoy the plush interior design which makes the car feel very homey (vs. Toyota's cheap interior and hard plastic feel and design), along with dual climate control and better fuel economy. The Accord also includes numerous safety features even in the lx (base) models, (which Toyota doesn't even offer as a upgrade) including hill assist. If you are in the market for purchasing a sedan do yourself a favor and test drive the Accord before even considering the Camry. There is good reason why Toyota had to redesign the Camry 2 years earlier then originally anticipated....

• Outward visibility
  • Headlights
  • Bluetooth

• Active safety
  • Rain snow traction
  • Climate control
  • Usb ports

Recommend (3) (155,656)

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review
By wblrob
on 04/21/14 16:16 PM (PDT)

I had what sounds like the same problem. Suddenly when I pressed the gas, it gave no power - right in the middle of the freeway. It took three days, but the Toyota guys found that it was a defective speed sensor in one of the wheels. (doesn't seem to make sense, but it does). Haven't had the problem since. Have them check those speed sensors if they haven't gotten to the bottom of it.

By wblrob
on 04/21/14 16:27 PM (PDT)

Forgot to mention - I'm in a 2013 Camry Hybrid. Other than that major glitch, love the car! Quiet and lots of power as both electric and gas engines provide more horsepower than one alone.