2012 Toyota Camry Consumer Review: Reliability?

2012 Toyota Camry - Consumer Review

Reliability?
By erieguy on

2012 Toyota Camry XLE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I have been leasing a 2012 Camry XLE with heated leather seats since last May. I never thought the heating worked well on the heated seats, and learned today that the driver's side only warms up to low after an extended time and the passenger side seat does not work at all even though its light indicator is on. So much for reliability. I drove the immediately previous model and after about a year its radio went haywire and had to be replaced. The car is very overrated in my book and will not buy at lease end.

Favorite Features

Dash on the XLE is a big (and a much needed) improvement to the previous Camry model.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe the electronics on Toyotas are made by others (e.g., Chinese). If so, they need to find new manufacturers given my experience. Head liners are thin and cheap for a $31,000 car; long way to go before they can match VW in this area. The leather steering wheel still has a plasticy feel and fares poorly compared to what I have driven in my Chevy Impala and Subaru. The gauge of steel used on the body is thin and the overall feeling of safety compared to the Jetta we own and my previous Impala do not inspire confidence. Young families can find safer brands. The more rigorous safety tests are conducted by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. The Feds tests are more limited.