Better Camry since '90s!
By catastrophz on
2012 Toyota Camry SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)
I bought my '12 SE with standard equips about 6 weeks ago and already put 2800 miles on it. I'm getting 33 avg mpg with easy-on-the-pedal. I kind of regret not test-driving the competitors, Honda Accord and VW GLI/Passat in particular. I like Camry's interior best, in terms of design, not so much quality (not terrible, just not as quality as Accord/maybe VWs). Reason I never bothered with Hondas was because my relatives have Acura MDX's ('03 and '07s) and Honda Odessey ('02), all have bad transmissions. 3 of 5 MDX's had some sort of transmission grinding-like noises and slipping gear-like, car start to jerk going 30+ mph. Engine mounts went bad and makes the engine shaky/metal clanking/etc..
Favorite Features
Dash electronics in the Camry is simple and has minimal buttons vs competitors with buttons-overload. Camry's simple-yet-elegant dashboard design vs competitors with either overly busy or way too simple dashboard designs. The engine is decently powerful for a 4-cylinder and others in its class. Apparently the fastest 4-cylinder in its class, excellent for merging into highways.
Suggested Improvements
For roughly similar price(s) to the Honda Accord, I wished the interior materials would look (or be) higher quality.