Used 2012 Toyota Camry Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Toyota Quality is Lacking
By dwdesil

2012 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Have been a loyal Toyota driver for 25 years and the 2012 Camry is by far the poorest build quality I have ever experienced. With less than 8k miles on the car I have paint peeling and a popping noise coming from the headliner. A Toyota district rep was dispatched to diagnose the sound problem I experienced every time I made a right hand turn and determined that insulation between the headliner and the roof had delaminated. They replaced and added shims to fix the problem. The paint bubbled up on the quarter panel and flaked off. They took samples and have sent it to a new Toyota field rep in charge of paint issues. Still not resolved. This car was built at the Subaru facility in Indiana.

Favorite Features

Excellent gas mileage. Average 35-37 mpg on road. Makes sure it is not an ethanol blend. Streaming music and blue tooth connection The car is very quiet.

Suggested Improvements

Address maufacturing quality issues. I will not buy another Toyota given these defects. I should have kept my 2005 Prius with 190k miles on it.

Disappointed in 2012
By seaview7

2012 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

For those of you that have not owned an older Camry, you will not realize how much Toyota has "cheapened" the quality of the new cars. (Even the mechanics at my dealer have told me so. And those guys know!) My other Camry is a 2005 model, and I can't believe how much better the interior looks and feels when compared to the new 2012. The new 2012 seats are smaller, tighter, thinner, harder... and the low quality plastic on the dashboard and door panels is an embarrassment! Even the steering wheel is worse. Open the 2012 door, and you immediately notice how "light" and cheap it feels. My 2005 door is solid, heavy, and closes with a "thunk." Not so on the new 2012.

Favorite Features

Honestly? Not much. The gas mileage is slightly better in the 2012... but that's because of all the weight they cut out? My 2005 Camry has much better build quality.

Suggested Improvements

2012 interior plastic is poor quality. Door panels are light and flimsy. Dashboard feels cheap. Seats feel smaller and harder than in previous Camry models. Electronic steering is vague and boring. Wind and road noise is still very noticeable.

stay away from EVO system
By cauciousbuyer

2012 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Great car to drive, nice interior

Favorite Features

noice suppresion.

Suggested Improvements

Get the basic Radio package, not the more expensive EVO system. It is almost useless when it works and and agravating when trying to use it in real drive situations. Your phone will not pair with it unless is the latest popular moder. So slow and gimmicky! You are better off skiping EVO and buying $40 bluetooth device online. I've test driven a Fusion with Synch and a Optima with UVO and their navigation and responsivness was WAY better.

Superb!
By jshcy

2012 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I just purchased a Camry LE at a fantastic price. Prior to purchasing the Camry, I test drove the 2013 Altima 2.5SV. The Camry won out on quality and refinement. It is extremely quiet and smooth. Fit and finish is also excellent. You cannot go wrong with this car. Everything in the car works intuitively.

Favorite Features

Quiteness, smoothness, fit and finish, 6.1" radio and bluetooth.

Suggested Improvements

None

I like it, but a step back?
By bagman33

2012 Toyota Camry Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Traded by 2011 for the 2012 SE just because I wanted the newer style and technology. Bought fully loaded with push button start, leather, sunroof, dimming mirror, homelink, nav, entune, etc. I'm highly disappointed in Entune. Apps are horrifically slow. Pandora quality (even when set to high) is bad. It's better to bluetooth stream Pandora from my phone (iPhone 4S) Nav is REALLY bad. Wanted me to go 6 blocks around instead of 1 block forward. Toyota made some cuts that disappointed me as well such as the removal of power up/down passenger window, LED lighting (exterior) and what seems to be a cheap headliner.

Favorite Features

Love the new styling, inside and out. I seem to be getting slightly better gas mileage than my 2011 SE. Generally I get 24-26mpg (stop start driving to work 10 miles one way). On a trip from Philadelphia to Pittsburgh I averaged 36.3. Like that they added MPG info to the dash and entune system. I also like that the rear seats now go down in the 2012 SE as they did not in my 2011 SE.

Suggested Improvements

Entune and Nav needs some serious review and software update releases to current owners. Bring back LED lighting, auto up/down window. Make the seating area of the rear seat pop up so rear seats lay flat