Used 2012 Toyota Camry XLE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Toyota Camry Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

good but not great
By kat12510

2012 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Had 2003 Camry XLE V6 before this. Leased the new 2012 XLE 4cyl to save gas, now have 6k on it.. The mileage is NOT what toyota stated! I get 25 average and I drive all highway! My 2003 was much quieter, more solid feeling and got 30mpg with a V6! The styling is fine, hate the low body style they have now, I live in MN where snow is plentiful and the car gets stuck easy cause of this! Bluetooth stopped working, dealer can't find problem. Leather seats are nice and soft but stains easier to remove than previous camry leather. Jeans turned my seats blue. Miss my 2003!! I can't decide if I'll buy this one out or not. It's a lot smaller too, bf is 6' and hits his head on headliner.

Steering wheel controls, the two-tone leather seats look and feel nice. The car drives very nice and is comfortable. I did love my bluetooth and streaming music through my radio until it stopped working. Trunk is huge

The passenger seat sits far too forward and high up, everyone who sits there looks into the headliner. Also the "lowness" of the cars body makes it tough to drive in snow and I'm always nervous it'll catch on something. Change the leather type, my seats turned blue from sitting on them with blue jeans. That shouldn't happen at 6,000 miles, maybe 150k.

Pleasantly surprised!
By elsie223

2012 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

My husband already owns a Toyota Taocma so I was told we were only looking at Toyotas and nothing else. So I was immediately put off. When the salesman suggested I drive the Camry, my husband said "don't show her any model but the top of the line" and good thing! The XLE didn't feel as boring as I expected. The interior is classy and since I got a red one, it feels very "me". Did NOT expect to like this car as much as I do. Have only had it about 10 days and can see myself driving this for a long time. Read other reviews about the headlights being dim, but what I noticed is a very defined cutoff on the top of the field of vision which is not present when the brights are turned on.

Love the keyless ignition and entry. Also am loving the Entune...especially the more I find that it can do. The driver's seat is very comfortable and the steering wheel controls are fabulous. So not telling my husband how much I like this car.

Only suggestion so far is to eliminate the top cutoff of the field of vision on the headlights.

Reliability?
By erieguy

2012 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I have been leasing a 2012 Camry XLE with heated leather seats since last May. I never thought the heating worked well on the heated seats, and learned today that the driver's side only warms up to low after an extended time and the passenger side seat does not work at all even though its light indicator is on. So much for reliability. I drove the immediately previous model and after about a year its radio went haywire and had to be replaced. The car is very overrated in my book and will not buy at lease end.

Dash on the XLE is a big (and a much needed) improvement to the previous Camry model.

Maybe the electronics on Toyotas are made by others (e.g., Chinese). If so, they need to find new manufacturers given my experience. Head liners are thin and cheap for a $31,000 car; long way to go before they can match VW in this area. The leather steering wheel still has a plasticy feel and fares poorly compared to what I have driven in my Chevy Impala and Subaru. The gauge of steel used on the body is thin and the overall feeling of safety compared to the Jetta we own and my previous Impala do not inspire confidence. Young families can find safer brands. The more rigorous safety tests are conducted by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. The Feds tests are more limited.

Awesome!!
By markmine

2012 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased my Camry XLE with 2.5, 4 cylinder engine about 5 months ago and clocked about 8k miles since. This car is rock solid! I was hesitant about the 4 cylinder but really wanted the gas mileage. After multiple test drives, I couldn't see spending the extra cash for the v6. No regrets, the 2.5 has plenty of power, is very smooth, quiet and I am consistently getting 30.6 MPG combined. I also really like the interior and the JBL sound system. The nav works great, but I'm not very happy with entune, it's a little buggy with my Samsung s3 phone. I shopped online for the car and paid 27.5k including 100k mile toyota warranty. All this with 0% financing.

The 2.5 engine and transmission. They are perfect fit for this car especially if you're interested in great gas mileage.

Improve entune, it was buggy with my iPhone 4 and with my new Samsung s3. Samsung and the iPhone are the most popular phones on the market, you would think that Toyota would get it right with these phones.

Toyota Quality is Lacking
By dwdesil

2012 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Have been a loyal Toyota driver for 25 years and the 2012 Camry is by far the poorest build quality I have ever experienced. With less than 8k miles on the car I have paint peeling and a popping noise coming from the headliner. A Toyota district rep was dispatched to diagnose the sound problem I experienced every time I made a right hand turn and determined that insulation between the headliner and the roof had delaminated. They replaced and added shims to fix the problem. The paint bubbled up on the quarter panel and flaked off. They took samples and have sent it to a new Toyota field rep in charge of paint issues. Still not resolved. This car was built at the Subaru facility in Indiana.

Excellent gas mileage. Average 35-37 mpg on road. Makes sure it is not an ethanol blend. Streaming music and blue tooth connection The car is very quiet.

Address maufacturing quality issues. I will not buy another Toyota given these defects. I should have kept my 2005 Prius with 190k miles on it.