Used 2012 Toyota Camry SE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Poor Quality
By Ann Koz

2012 Toyota Camry Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Paint chips all over car. Swirls in black paint. Seats are made of poor material. Noisy on highway. Tires had to be replaced after 27,000 miles. Very well maintained but you would never know it. Will not buy another Toyota and this is my third. Very disappointed.

2012 SE 2.5 after 35k mi
By drjjjj

2012 Toyota Camry Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Pros: The looks have grown on me (like the wedge) the interior is well designed and worn well (no wear) the mpg avg is 28-29, 65% highway, no breakdowns, should have good resale. Cons: have 1 second VVTi cold start rattle start at approx 15k, will need new cam, etc. Toyota will replace no charge-but factory sealed motor no more-we'll see. Tranny needed re-flash for slow speed shudder which wasn't too bad-about 45mph did some intermittent slight shudder -gearing too tall for mpg improvement? I would argue todays car is getting overly complicated because of the pressure to get MPGs!! Also, don't even touch the new direct injected or CVT trannys most offer now (read forums)

Favorite Features

Econo car MPG, tracks/handles great for a family car in the SE form factor, quiet/smooth engine which suggest quality of engineering, stylish/upscale enough and exc value because of re-sale, reliability (I hope now-see above) and entry cost of 22k with no iterest. No direct injection and no CVT tranny (both could cost a fortune to repair later) good visibility, safe- knee airbags, rear curtain bags. Like the fold down seats-must have.

Suggested Improvements

Dump the paddle shifters(don't use, tranny more intuitive) and put money into paint and interior (looks like they have on new one-interior) keep the ground clearance at 6+ inches (it's enough) don't fall for DI or CVT (other than Prius planetary gears-OK) and give us back a conventional analog temp gauge. More travel in the front seat (backwards) Thanks, Picky Engineer

2012 camry SE
By bengal16

2012 Toyota Camry Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

After driving this car for 15 months I have decided to express my opinion. This car is nice to drive, but a little rough riding. The interior is spacious and the trunk is nice and roomy. The four cylinder engine has great power and acceleration but it is hard to achieve the gas mileage that Toyota claims this car will get. The trip information computer can not compare to my GM vehicles which are more user friendly and offer better user information.

Favorite Features

Good acceleration and passing capability. Large trunk.

Suggested Improvements

No mudflaps available for this model. When the paint chipped off from rocks flying up from the tires, Toyota did not cover the problem.They said I need mudflaps. I told them to order some and they found out they don't have mudflaps for this model because of the design. The inner wheel wells are lined with a sound dampening fabric type material to reduce road noise. I live in an area where there is snow and slush on the roads throughout the winter months. The snow collects in the wheel wells and freezes. It will not release from this fabric, so most of the time my wheel wells are packed with this frozen buildup which rubs on the tires. I may trade this car in because this is so annoying.

Happy with my purchase.
By mreyes6868

2012 Toyota Camry Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

We have had this car for about 10 months now and it has a little over 17k miles. No issues so far. The car has lots of power for a 4cyl and it gives me about 29mpg with half city driving half freeway. On a 490 mile roadtrip it used one tank of gas and averaged about 38 mpg driving at about 75 mph! Toyota did well on the new camry. I love the in dash touch screen radio and the comfortable seats. The SE also comes with the paddle shifters which are also a nice feature. The interior is very spacious and stylish.

Favorite Features

mpg SE package looks

Suggested Improvements

go with direct injection like other auto makers.

It's a good car that will go for the long run
By borquezmike

2012 Toyota Camry Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

We have had our Camry for 6 months now and can say with certainty it is a very good car. There have been no issues and having 2 kids riding along 70% of time would have brought something out if it existed. The car has good power and commendable handling. It never feels inept or under powered. I have driven several cars with electric steering and this one is well weighted, not great, but good. The car has plenty of room and I like the softtex seat material as a alternative to leather. I really like the fact the car is equipped with Michelin tires which provide a smooth and quiet ride, steer clear of the bridgestones. The radio and steering wheel controls are definitively the best feature.

Favorite Features

Bluetooth, Steering wheel controls, touch screen, leather steering wheel, Michelin tires, softex seat material, SE package

Suggested Improvements

Please add direct injection to the engine to squeeze some more HP out. Please add the backup camera standard. Please add steering modes.