Used 2012 Toyota Camry SE Sedan Consumer Reviews - 29 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Toyota Camry Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2012 Toyota Camry Sedan

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Give me my Mazda back!
By JoAnne Wise

2012 Toyota Camry Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

The headlights are poor. It's so easy to outrun them. The first winter I had this car I had gas "sticker shock". I was only getting 20-22MPG and that was highway driving. The fob is set up awkwardly - I'm forever accidentally hitting the trunk switch even when driving. Not good! The GPS is great as far as it automatically updates itself without purchasing upgrades but when it computes your drive time it uses a factor of 55MPH. And I was not impressed with my resell value. I always thought a Toyota held its value. Not! I did better with my 10 year old Mazda Protege than my 4 year old Camry with all the bells and whistles. Guess what I'm now shopping for - a Mazda. Yeah!

RELIABILTY AT ISSUE NOW-BEWARE FOLKS!
By Steve Johnson

2012 Toyota Camry Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Toyota's bigger 4 cylinder engines have a higher frequency of a problem now. The issue is called a "COLD START RATTLE". Because our EPA has mandated cleaner & more efficient vehicles, the top end of these motors have many more moving parts (VVTI) The common problem now (with other brands too-Honda, etc) is a 1 second metal on metal "rattle" that occurs only at cold start (lack of oil to small moving parts in the VVT). It's loud /very noticeable and makes one wonder how long before the rattle progresses or wears out internal moving parts (ruins the top end or all of the engine). My Camry has this problem. My dealer acknowledged the problem and was instructed to replace (1) cam and did.. It did NOT solve the problem. Took it in again (Vancouver, Wa Toyota) , they kept it for a week (agreed it was still an issue) and sent me home with my Camry that still has the same pronounced cold start rattle. Dealer should have done the right thing and backed a customer in my opinion. Ours is a 2012 model with the 2.5liter & 40k on the car. Rattle started about 25k mi. I'm original owner and car has been serviced better than recommended. No changes made to engine on the new model/2015-exact same design.
I submitted a Lemon Law claim to the factory and they simply denied my claim with no reasoning stated. So, needless to say, I'm an unhappy camper. Can't sell it in good conscience, can't keep a car with a flawed engine. Read the forums, it's a fairly common problem on the 2.4 liter, 2.5 liter and 2.7 liter. So, I can't recommend the car. I do recommend the hybrid Camry however and should have bought one-fabulous car, different config. Thanks, a seasoned Engineer

Poor Quality
By Ann Koz

2012 Toyota Camry Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Paint chips all over car. Swirls in black paint. Seats are made of poor material. Noisy on highway. Tires had to be replaced after 27,000 miles. Very well maintained but you would never know it. Will not buy another Toyota and this is my third. Very disappointed.

2012 SE 2.5 after 35k mi
By drjjjj

2012 Toyota Camry Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Pros: The looks have grown on me (like the wedge) the interior is well designed and worn well (no wear) the mpg avg is 28-29, 65% highway, no breakdowns, should have good resale.
Cons: have 1 second VVTi cold start rattle start at approx 15k, will need new cam, etc. Toyota will replace no charge-but factory sealed motor no more-we'll see. Tranny needed re-flash for slow speed shudder which wasn't too bad-about 45mph did some intermittent slight shudder -gearing too tall for mpg improvement?

I would argue todays car is getting overly complicated because of the pressure to get MPGs!! Also, don't even touch the new direct injected or CVT trannys most offer now (read forums)

Econo car MPG, tracks/handles great for a family car in the SE form factor, quiet/smooth engine which suggest quality of engineering, stylish/upscale enough and exc value because of re-sale, reliability (I hope now-see above) and entry cost of 22k with no iterest. No direct injection and no CVT tranny (both could cost a fortune to repair later) good visibility, safe- knee airbags, rear curtain bags. Like the fold down seats-must have.

Dump the paddle shifters(don't use, tranny more intuitive) and put money into paint and interior (looks like they have on new one-interior) keep the ground clearance at 6+ inches (it's enough) don't fall for DI or CVT (other than Prius planetary gears-OK) and give us back a conventional analog temp gauge. More travel in the front seat (backwards) Thanks, Picky Engineer

2012 camry SE
By bengal16

2012 Toyota Camry Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

After driving this car for 15 months I have decided to express my opinion. This car is nice to drive, but a little rough riding. The interior is spacious and the trunk is nice and roomy. The four cylinder engine has great power and acceleration but it is hard to achieve the gas mileage that Toyota claims this car will get. The trip information computer can not compare to my GM vehicles which are more user friendly and offer better user information.

Good acceleration and passing capability. Large trunk.

No mudflaps available for this model. When the paint chipped off from rocks flying up from the tires, Toyota did not cover the problem.They said I need mudflaps. I told them to order some and they found out they don't have mudflaps for this model because of the design. The inner wheel wells are lined with a sound dampening fabric type material to reduce road noise. I live in an area where there is snow and slush on the roads throughout the winter months. The snow collects in the wheel wells and freezes. It will not release from this fabric, so most of the time my wheel wells are packed with this frozen buildup which rubs on the tires. I may trade this car in because this is so annoying.