Used 2012 Toyota Camry Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Toyota Camry Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

RELIABILTY AT ISSUE NOW-BEWARE FOLKS!
By Steve Johnson

2012 Toyota Camry Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Toyota's bigger 4 cylinder engines have a higher frequency of a problem now. The issue is called a "COLD START RATTLE". Because our EPA has mandated cleaner & more efficient vehicles, the top end of these motors have many more moving parts (VVTI) The common problem now (with other brands too-Honda, etc) is a 1 second metal on metal "rattle" that occurs only at cold start (lack of oil to small moving parts in the VVT). It's loud /very noticeable and makes one wonder how long before the rattle progresses or wears out internal moving parts (ruins the top end or all of the engine). My Camry has this problem. My dealer acknowledged the problem and was instructed to replace (1) cam and did.. It did NOT solve the problem. Took it in again (Vancouver, Wa Toyota) , they kept it for a week (agreed it was still an issue) and sent me home with my Camry that still has the same pronounced cold start rattle. Dealer should have done the right thing and backed a customer in my opinion. Ours is a 2012 model with the 2.5liter & 40k on the car. Rattle started about 25k mi. I'm original owner and car has been serviced better than recommended. No changes made to engine on the new model/2015-exact same design. I submitted a Lemon Law claim to the factory and they simply denied my claim with no reasoning stated. So, needless to say, I'm an unhappy camper. Can't sell it in good conscience, can't keep a car with a flawed engine. Read the forums, it's a fairly common problem on the 2.4 liter, 2.5 liter and 2.7 liter. So, I can't recommend the car. I do recommend the hybrid Camry however and should have bought one-fabulous car, different config. Thanks, a seasoned Engineer

Loved Our 2012 Camry SE Until...
By Mrs. Juli Turner

2012 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We loved our Toyota Camry SE 2012 until this year (2015) when I happened to loose my keyless entry fob. The cost is approximately $500.00 to replace the keyless entry fob including the laser cut blade that inserts into the fob. We checked with other dealerships in our state (Connecticut) and found the cost was about the same. I feel this is OUTRAGEOUS! We were never told about this exorbitant cost of the keyless entry fob replacement when we bought the car. Buyer beware! People often loose their car keys. If they have a keyless entry system, it will be about $500 every time they do. I hope to see some consumer backlash about this issue. We will NEVER buy a car with a keyless entry system again.

Serendipity to the 4th power
By shellspell

2012 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

The 2012 LE Camry is my 4th Toyota. I agree with other review about cloth interior, dog nails catch on it and shows snags (hate leather). Easy fix- seat protectors. I set out to buy a 2014 Corolla trading in my 09 Corolla- then I test drove this Camry. I put a car through a hard test drive, doing excellerations on rural roads and interstates, hard stops, and taking sharp curves while speeding. I've had many types of vehicles and this beats them ALL. Not sure what the bad reviews previously are about, but I'm a Toyota cheerleader. It's super comfortable, (my friend has 2013 Lexus sedan and says it's just as comfortable), reliable, surprising in ice and snow, n fun to drive!

FAST for a 4cyl, so I get no more speeding tickets, but can accelerate into traffic with no problem; COMFORT- I travel with 2 large dogs about 400 miles ea way to NC no prob,my Forrester was hell on my bad back; GREAT gas mileage-@ 32mpg on interstate, better than my Ford; RELIABILITY- um, it's a Toyota. Toyota dealer great about answering any of my questions for free. I've spent NOTHING on repairs. Even oil changes r free. Drives same in heat and cold temps. ROOMINESS- my 6'3" fiance fits in front AND back no probs.

I live in the south and DETEST black dashboards/ interior! This is the biggest design flaw with just about every manufacturer, however I hear it's best on cutting down glare. Have no prob with paint, interior materials, spaciousness. What are some people doing to the insides of their cars? Noticeable sluggishness with A/C on going uphill. Loose weave of cloth interior is pretty shotty and harder to clean, liked the cloth of 1999-06 better. No other complaints!

Poor Quality
By Ann Koz

2012 Toyota Camry Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Paint chips all over car. Swirls in black paint. Seats are made of poor material. Noisy on highway. Tires had to be replaced after 27,000 miles. Very well maintained but you would never know it. Will not buy another Toyota and this is my third. Very disappointed.

Well done, Toyota
By ccotie

2012 Toyota Camry Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my 2012 Camry CPO in 2013 w/ 41K miles on it. I consider myself a pickup truck guy, but as sedans go, this car has been a pleasure to own and to drive. It has the Sport package with the styled wheels, and draws a lot of compliments. I recommend the SE with the V6, they give the car some personality. Still, I would love to see some performance-enhancing features made available, like AWD or a turbocharger. Even with the upgraded engine, I regularly achieve 26mpg combined. It's no Challenger, but the handling response is sharp and the acceleration is surprisingly brisk. I have almost 100K on mine now, and all I ever do is regular maintenance.

-Sharp styling -Powerful engine -Good gas mileage -TONS of features -Toyota reliability

Would LOVE to see a TRD coupe version with: -AWD (or at least RWD) -Turbo -Optional 6-spd manual -More aggressive exhaust