Ticking noise in hubcaps
By Angry Camry owner on
2011 Toyota Camry SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)
I have owned my new Camry for 2 months. It is making a loud ticking noise in the hubcaps. I took it to the dealer and they can not figure it out. A corporate specialist is coming out to look at it. Another dealer admitted it is a problem and Toyota does not have a solution yet. He recommended I remove the hubcaps. Meanwhile my new car has been in shop for four days.
Suggested Improvements
Admit you have a problem with the hubcaps and recall the car.
By maria1984
on 10/24/11 20:57 PM (PDT)

I have the same problem with the hubcaps on my vehicle. It started after I took if for the scheduled maintenance. The car was perfectly fine and when I picked it up it started with that noise. I called that same day then went the following day and was told there was nothing mechanically wrong with the vehicle and to let the tire rotation settle. I did but it didn't go away, I ended up going a fourth time and one of the associates changed the hubcaps, but as soon as I drove off the problem came back. I got a rental from them but they insist that there is nothing wrong with the car. This article ensures me that I am not crazy or making things up, I told the associates this problem needs to be fixed one way or another. They are great at charging and taking every last penny you have but do not want to fully take a look at something they need to fix.

By a077456
on 12/27/10 13:58 PM (PST)

I was encountering the same problem while I was test-driving the Camry 11' at Pasadena, CA. I was told by the dealer that there was no sound, or it could be the mats in the back of the trunk was making the noise. After looking at your review, I think we hear the same sound. Thank you for your post! Otherwise, I'll be trick by the salesman!

By buliming
on 11/15/11 13:07 PM (PST)

It is so frustrated to have the same problem for 2 month! I bought this 2011 Camry LE in last July, at be-gaining I was happy, however, I heard sound form the left front wheel, then I went to the dealer for check up, they told me that is from the hubcap. They switched the caps from different wheels, then the sound went away, but just a few miles drive, it came back!!! again one mechanic ordered a new cap to replace it, but the problem cannot be fixed!!!! The supervisor told me this is from the hubcap itself not from the wheel!!!! I called the Toyota center, the representative was nice, but I don't think he can do anything but saying apology!!! It is really annoying!!!! Anybody has good idea making Toyota fix it? Should lawyer can do anything better?

By cdavis226
on 02/08/11 08:46 AM (PST)

I'm wondering (hoping) if this problem was ever resolved for you? I am having the same issue with my 2011 Camry. Imagine the sound of putting a baseball card in your bicycle tire spokes. That is what this sounds like. I cannot for the life of me figure it out but it is really annoying. I took it to a dealer and they didn't fix it.

By craig4d
on 02/10/11 13:32 PM (PST)

I worked with my oldest daughter to buy a 2011 Camry last October for her. Early on this type of noise came out of the left front. She took it to the dealer in the Cleveland area and first off, they said they couldn't hear it. Then they agreed they heard it, but there was no fix for it. She took it in again for routine service, and again noted it to them. This time they said they had other reports of the situation, but Toyota had no solutions. This has caused her to be upset with a car she otherwise was very pleased with. Word spreads. I own an '09 RAV myself, and this has caused my second daughter and I to look away from Toyota to a new Nissan. Seems to me all they have to do is replace the hubcap with one that doesn't make the noise if the flaw is indeed the hubcap and not the something else.